Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • When I retire I am going to…
  • tuffty
    Free Member

No abuse from me Suggsey, how ya doin? Long time since I met you on a mtbb forum ride. Damn nice bloke.

Suggsey
    Free Member

No langylad, I have been pleased that no one has had a go yet but wanted to give a true and accurate account of what I did to earn my retirement as unfortunately it’s not always the case and some folk have had bad experiences with police, some by their own doing but some by being in the wrong place at the wrong time or by the criminal element I referred to.
    The last ten years flew by if it helps 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

After a touch of heart failure bought on by meds interaction and feeling rough but not knowing why I am getting back to some sort of full health and fitness thanks tufty. When spring comes round I will organise an old and slow Chase get together so we can all catch up with each other.

HughStew

Suggsey. Good for you, and glad to hear that you got what you earned and were promised.
    Those of us who have been shafted by underhand rule changes and quasi-theft need to be angry at those who pulled the rug from under us, not the people who have got what they’re due.

To answer the original question, much along Ton’s lines, but as my wife is more into walking we have plans to walk some of the long distance paths in the Alps and Pyrenees. She has expressed a desire to try some MTB’ing so maybe…

langylad
    Free Member

Drac, I am more than happy to be left alongside nurses. You might have to be a bit more obvious though to rile the Water Fairies 🙂 Apologies WF’s only joking. If any of you are still awake at work, I have plenty of first hand experience of your incredible work at major incidents, it’s just that you get a lot of time to play tig, sleep and polish your bells in between 😀

Drac

Hahaahaha stop it langylad.

tuffty
    Free Member

That would be great mate I am older and slower now too.

langylad
    Free Member

Sorry Drac that’s all I’ve got. However a WF riding buddy of mine has the task of sorting toast out for the Watch. He is also currently embroiled in a 3 month ‘Ab Off’ feud with a colleague, having won the long distance running comp (all at work).
    Not criticism, just jealous at having joined the wrong job. Can I say when i retire I want to be a fireman 😀

jonba
    Free Member

paying above 11% of my wages from the day I joined to much higher figure before leaving.

This isn’t personal in any way, to be honest I’m envious. But does anybody else see that this maths just doesn’t work? Assuming you live for another 30 years do you think you’ll end up taking out more than you put in? This can’t work for everyone.

footflaps

This can’t work for everyone.

Correct, but the Police get a special deal in recognition of the risks of their role etc.

samuri
    Free Member

I will be travelling the world in a campervan.

My van will contain a couple of bikes, some alcohol and some drawing materials.

langylad
    Free Member

Jonba, this is true, but having joined a job that is truly shitty in so many ways, and having come through a selection process where (it used to be) approx 1 in 100 who applied got in, and having been told this was part of the overall package for a career that deals regularly with what most people will experience only a handful of times in their lives, I think it only fair that what you were promised is upheld.

langylad
    Free Member

Sorry, half a bottle of white and I have digressed. Samurai, the camper van thing is a long held retirement ambition, mainly Italy, but with a bike or 2

beaker2135

toxicsoks – Member
    Move to Cumbria, ride my bikes, walk the fells and drink beer. This could be happening before the end of this year…………….

+1 but before Easter hopefully 🙂

jekkyl

Yeah I’m gonna try hard drugs too, maybe some heroin,,,, citing… Can’t wait!

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Only been in the NHS 12 months. 28 year old and my body is falling to pieces. If I make 50 year old ill be happy. I doubt I’ll see my pension.

bruneep

I prepare for some STW abuse…….

Nope not from me, you entered into a contract with the local authority and it’s been honoured.

Enjoy life.

willard

I don’t plan on retiring. If I die in harness (so to speak), I’m worth more to my wife and family.

At least that way I’ll be spared playing bowls and having to watch repeats of Last of the Summer Wine.

willard

And the Archers.

And Emmerdale now I think about it.

hooli

If I make it to retirement, I plan to

Get a classic motorbike to restore
    Get a land rover to restore
    Set my garage up with some wood working kit to make some furniture
    Spend time in various country pubs enjoying good beer and food
    Read

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Retired last October three months shy of 55 after 38 years at the same company.

Fair bit of diy to sort out around the house combined with getting out and taking plenty of photos. Book up train tickets well in advance for great prices and catching up with all the stuff I didn’t have time for.

Had lots of grief with chronic cluster headaches for the last five years so when the chance of an early leaver deal came I jumped at it

alpin
    Free Member

hopefully in 20 years when i’m hitting 50 i’ll be able to take it a little slower…

buy a Sprinter-esque van, kit it out so that it is adequately habitable for the GF and I and head south.

the cooler months spent driving around Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Croatia or Greece. riding, walking, cooking, eating as we see fit. perhaps a bit of casual work if the oppourtunity arises.

the warmer “summer” months spent south of Munich where the GF has a plot of land. not allowed to build anything permanent on it as it is a protected water area (although 50m from the plot there area few houses that have been there for years, so it might be possible). maybe a Shepard’s hut might be an option. or something a little more “Man Made Home”-esque. got twenty years to sort that out….

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘When I retire I am going to…’ is closed to new replies.