Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wheels to replace standard EX8 ones.
  • M1llh0use
    Free Member

Thinking about replacing the wheels o ny trek fuel ex8. It’s currently wearing the standard ones which are These which would seem to be about 1900g. Had a set of hope am4s with ex721s on but they were far too heavy so was looking for something lighter but still strong enough to cope with me being a bit clumsy.
    Don’t really ride anything too daft (think purbecks, wareham forest, occasional trip to afan/cwmcarn) but am not the lightest fella at about 95kg.
    Was thinking about a moonglu build of hope pro 2evo/stans arch combo but what would you lot recommend?

Popocatapetl

I would recommend a set of Mavic Crosstrails. Had them on my fuel ex for the last three years. Look good, reasonably light and very tough.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Forgot to say, gotta be tubeless.

Popocatapetl

The cross trails are also tubeless and I’ve run them as such from new and never had any issues. HTH

neninja
    Free Member

I can recommend the Moonglu Hope/Stans Arch wheels. I’ve been running a set built by Neil last year that have been faultless. Still totally straight and not required any maintenance at all.

If the Ex8 has a 15mm front axle these would be worth a look too and come with Stans tape, valves and fluid – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=63316&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Very similar rim to the Arch

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Cheers guys, re: mavics. How fast does the hub pickup? Had a set of cross rides a while back and the hub was almost painfully slow to engage.

Popocatapetl

The cross trails are a different class, fast pick up, original bearings going strong after 3 years of peaks and alps riding with no issues.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

So are the magic hubs quicker to pickup than the hope, or tother way around?

solamanda
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother. Standard wheels have light rims so you won’t gain as much rolling weight advantage as you think. The hubs are heavy but that is so close to the centre of the wheel it won’t make much difference.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

That was the info that I was trying to find. Couldn’t see an reference to the rhythm rim weight. When you say pretty light where’d you get that from? And compared to what?

jonba
    Free Member

Have a look at

http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/product/hope_hoops_front_and_rear_evo_hubs_with_stans_crest_rims/

just posted on another thread

They also do the Flow which is beefier than the Arch but still light compared to most tubeless rims. You won’t find the arch unless you get custom built.

If you don’t like the above then have a look at Merlin Cycles for some custom built ones. With the VIP discount they come out cheap. Pick a tubeless rim and get it built onto a hope hub.

nmdbase
    Free Member

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Any other suggestions?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Any views on Crossmax st’s?

jedi

i got crossmax st’s and sx. awesome wheels (2012 versions) 🙂

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Praise indeed!

Cheers tony…

jedi
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wheels to replace standard EX8 ones.’ is closed to new replies.