• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by GW.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • wheels for Morzine
  • mrtwist
    Free Member

which to use?

halo freedom
    stans flow on hope

never been before, not sure if i need the extra burley.
    i'm not a backflipping maniac but ride sort of heavy (or should i say clumsily!)

thanks

geetee1972
    Free Member

Unless you're riding the pure DH tracks, your Flows will be fine, especially if you're using dual ply tyres. I did the PPDS and a full day in Chamonix on far rockier tracks than the Porte du Soleil and mine only needed a few spokes tightening afterwards. Bear in mind that I'm 110kg and ride pretty aggressively.

Baldysquirt

If i could manage with xc717s on a HT then I would imagine either would be tough enough.

mrtwist
    Free Member

good news, i usually use the hope and stans.

did you take any extra insurance out to ride/take the bike abroad?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Good question – the answer is no because my home insurance policy, which is costly but comprehensive for the bikes, already covers it.

However, there have been a number of instances where bikes have been lifted wholesale from storage places in chalets. Some chalets now don't let/like you leaving wet MTB clothing outside as it gives away that there are bikes likely to be on the premises. So either you need to be careful with your while you're there or get insurance for it.

What's your plan for the riding?

mrtwist
    Free Member

driving down (as i've got camper), planning to stay in morzine and les gets around end of july.
    will get a six day lift pass.. and ride wherever i can really.

not a great plan really!!

any advice?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Unless you're willing to underwrite an airlift off the mountain then you'll need extra travel insurance that covers mountain biking down a mountain.

Snowcard and Dogtag are worth a glance.

I've used Stan's Arch on Pro II's round the Porte du Soliel area for the last three years holidays without issue.

I've used Flow's on the DH rig too with out issue.

mrtwist
    Free Member

post office do insurance for mtb, for £40 extra.

just had a quote, have yet to read the very small print
    anyone used them?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Take the toll roads, they are worth every penny.
    Explore the routes down into Lindarets Valley, especially sections of the French National track, as it's really good.
    Go to L'Etale restaurant and order Potence.
    Try to find some of the off piste DH routes that go off the right of the Plenny lift station (as you're looking down the hill) if you're into that. They are awesome.
    Ride The Canyon runs plenty of times over in Les Gets, even if you're not into DH as they interweaving trails are the best around that valley (IMO).
    Mont Cherry is also great fun.
    Take lots of tyres and other consumable spares as they cost a fortune over there.
    Take a full face helmet and spine guard.
    Take larger disc rotors.
    Make friends and have fun.

mrtwist
    Free Member

did you camp there?

i am making a to do list based on your post!
    i assume you ride there often?

Potence??

mrtwist
    Free Member

tubeless a no go?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can't really comment on tubeless as I've never ridden tubeless in the Alps. I deliberateed over it this year because we were riding the Pass Porte Du Soleil and it's a long day out with plenty of actual pedaling so you feel extra weight,but in the end, it was just simpler to go with tubes.

I've ridden in the Alps probably about a dozen times. For sure there are people who done far more than I have but they seem to be keeping quiet so I thought I'd help. I've always stayed in Chalets; too old for camping now! But you should really think about keeping your bike secure if you are camping.

Other tips, again depends on what your preferred style of riding is. Are you on a DH bike or an AM/trail bike?

It's easy to get to Les Gets from the top of the Plenny Lift and at the end of a hot day, a swim in the lake is wonderful. It costs a few Euros.

Potence is a meat and rice dish that's very good.

As you have transport you should also spend a day in Chamonix, especially if you're more into trail like DH than man made DH courses. Take the lift to the top of La Flegere and then follow the trails down to the valley floor again; they are the best I've ever ridden. Also Le Grand Monte is supposed to be awesome.

nickegg
    Free Member

I can't comment on Morzine but i have ridden the Les Arc area which i think is rockier than the Portes Du Soleil.

I was running Mavic XM317 on Pro2 and my wife DT Swiss 4.2 on Pro2. No bent rims or broken spokes between us but a few pinch flats.

As for tubeless, i'll be running Rubber Queen 2.2 UST on XT UST rims so at least i shan't get any pinch flats this year. Our guide uses Maxxis UST tyres on DT 5.1 rims with no problems. As i recall him mentioning, he had no punctures last season.

I suspect either wheels will be fine.

mrtwist
    Free Member

cool.
    thanks for all your advice guys.

i'm more of trail rider than anything. afan and glyncorrwg.
    so my Trance X is the most suitable bike I have.

I've never had problems with tubeless, so will probably run them – with a few tubes in the boot.
    My bike will be in the van overnight as I've got a tent for the missus (I better take that comment back before she reads it!)

I'm pretty excited about the trip now.
    Is it worth riding with a guide?

mk1fan
    Free Member

The Canyon's been sanitised over the mtb break. Although I didn't get to ride it this year forge197 did and said they've laid down a load of 'mot' to smooth it.

Tubeless is fine in the alps but I'd recommend using dual ply DH tyres as the rocks like to slice open light weight tyres.

Andy

Good campsite just 20 mins by bike outside Morzine. Another in Les Gets, not stayed there. Also a good one in Chatel just down from the bike park.

If july best book beforehand. They will ask for a deposit and you wont get confirmation of booking. Only if a problem.

Try and get hold of the VTOPO book froma local bike shop for more cross country stuff.

Take all your own spares, as stuff out there is twice the price of CRC. Switzerland is even more expensive.

You could also do the PPDS as a grand day out. The route is still on the website.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I've been using 819'stubless on King Hubs without any issues for the last 4 trips to the Alps, 819 aren't the widest rims so you'll be fine with flows.

You'll love it, just back from the Passport a couple of weeks back weather was amazing and the riding is as good as ever.

Yes take insurance not just your European Health Insurance card. If you come a cropper and have to be flown off the mountain it will cost you a fortune

GW
    Free Member

I find the PDS DH tracks way less harsh on wheels than most scottish DH. but if you're driving take both sets of wheels.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘wheels for Morzine’ is closed to new replies.