Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel support bike parking
  • mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Hi folks

we’ve just moved to a house with a PROPER man-cave/garage.

Our bikes (12 of them) will be stored along one wall and after having them hung on hooks for years in our previous smaller garage i’m keen to explore ‘wheel in’ options.

Does anyone have experience of stands like this?

I’m keen to know if bikes of varying tyre widths (1″ – 2.3″) will stand up properly and if things like dinner plate size discs and pannier racks are going to foul the stand.

Also if people have any recommendations for other styles of rack.

Feel free to post pictures of your collections/bike storage

ta

Mike

BoardinBob

Used one of those racks before with big tyres. May have to widen them slightly with brute force but my DH bike lived in one with 2.5 tyres

garethc
    Free Member

I’m looking for something similar, but reading your link, it seems to imply 50mm tyre width (2 inches), which would rule out a couple of my bikes… Will watch thread with interest!

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I used to use them a lot at Halfords for extra display space. In short I would avoid. They are OK small wheels without discs but anything else I would not recommend. They don’t support the bike properly. The end result, especially in a shop environment where the bikes get knocked, is buckled wheels, bent spokes and scratched bikes where another has fallen on it. They also have to bolted to the floor otherwise they are a faff to get the bike out.

The most efficient storage for lots of bikes is a scaffold pole hung horizontally. The bikes are hung by the wheels from large hooks – one end over the pole, the other end at right angles to hold the wheel. It’s efficient because you can slide the hooks along the pole to adjust the spacing as required.
    I believe all Halfords have the same storage system out back. You could ask a manager to let you have a look at it (although there are H&S and security reasons why they may say no).

simondbarnes

They’re a dreadful way to support bikes IME. Much better hanging them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Some good looking kit here :

Home

Feedback do an individual stand upright stand, which can be linked to others.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Feedback-Sports-Bicycle-Wheel-Stand/dp/B001F9V842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461485136&sr=8-1&keywords=feedback+bike+stand

Davesport

Made my own out of timber decking to suit each wheel width. About two quid each.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel support bike parking’ is closed to new replies.