Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bodge needed please (v brake content)
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

I am in the process of trying to make my old Kona into a gravel munching machine. I have put 700c wheels with 40c tyres in the frame, and I bought some lovely Paul’s v-brakes that allow you to use 700c wheels in a 26″ frame. Problem is the cable-y bits don’t quite clear the tyre. See picture below. Does anyone have any bright ideas please (other than smaller tyres, I don’t want smaller tyres)? I have been through my spares box and cutlery draw but as yet have not been inspired. More beer maybe needed.

nickjb
    Free Member

Even if you got them working they’d probably be pretty awful with that leverage, or lack of. Maybe set them up a bit like cantis with a hanger from the seat bolt.

bigjim

That’s frustrating, they look lovely brakes. Would the cable still rub the tyre if there wasn’t so much aluminium on the bit that holds the noodle? ie hacksaw/file it (the horror)

Even if you got them working they’d probably be pretty awful with that leverage, or lack of. Maybe set them up a bit like cantis with a hanger from the seat bolt.

That’s how v brakes work, they don’t stick out at an angle like cantis

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s how v brakes work, they don’t stick out at an angle like cantis

Not quite sure what you are saying. The pads are miles from the pivot point so there is very little mechanical advantage. That’s not really how Vs are supposed to be. Using a canti style pull is far from ideal but there will be some force in right direction, especially if you can keep the crosswire* close to the tyre.

The crosswire would need to be some kind of frankenthing using the arm

fooman

I made this bolt on adaptor for a frame that had no bosses. It’s a bmx brake booster with some bosses bolted on & through the frame, putting them in the correct position for the rim. Well you did ask for a bodge.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Hmmm…not sure there is enough metal to get a hacksaw out Jim. My first thought was to try and extend one of the arms somehow. A canti style hanger also crossed my mind, I think this might be the first thing to try. Brake booster could work too.

mtbfix

Mavic, among others, used to make 26″-700c canti acdaptors. That’s what you’re looking for. Sold mine on here a year or two back.

Andy
    bigjim

Not quite sure what you are saying. The pads are miles from the pivot point so there is very little mechanical advantage. That’s not really how Vs are supposed to be

Ah I see what you mean, I thought you thought they should be sticking out at 45 degrees from the frame or something

whippersnapper
    Free Member

….they might be soon 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bodge needed please (v brake content)’ is closed to new replies.