Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wheel dish question
  • DezB
    Free Member

Having put a fatter tyre on my back wheel I've noticed the tyre is much closer to one stay than the other.

Have tried adding a spacer to the axle, but doesn't make enough difference.

Is it possible to re-dish a wheel, or does it mean a complete new build?
    It's a Mavic Crosstrail.

zeus
    Free Member

I don't think you should have to use a spacer – the rim should be centered in the first place. Sounds like a slightly dodgy wheel build, but nothing an experienced wheel builder couldn't sort out – or you, if you're partial to some nipple twisting (sorry, couldn't resist!)

========================
    Live fast, take chances!
    iRide Africa

Onzadog
    Free Member

Careful not to investigate too hard, it could mean your wheel is on the wonk. Bin the spacer, that's not the answer. Try fitting the wheel the other way around. If it's now too close to the other stay, it's a dishing thing and anyone with a spoke key and a bit of know how can tweak it. If it still looks the same, your wheel is dished correctly and your stays are out.

keavo
    Free Member

any spoked wheel can be re dished. but try and rule other things out first. put another wheel in and see if it runs central, if its o.k. then it appears your frame is o.k. do the cones need adjusting, put a different tyre on etc. if these things are all o.k. then re dish the wheel…loosen the spokes on the side thats nearer to the stay, and tighten the others 1/2 a turn at a time til its o.k.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, should've mentioned, I put a Crossmax in the dropouts and it was perfectly centred, so the frame is fine.
    I'm not going to touch it myself as I haven't the time (or bravery) to learn wheelbuilding!
    Sounds like the LBS will be able to re-dish without too much problem.
    Thanks chaps.

juan
    Free Member

What frame is it? As people suggest try to see if you can't rule out the dishing. Then I will ask one question, does your wheel is much closer to the stay? Does it rub it? If no just don't bother. It's not worth it.
    It might just be that one side of the rear dropout as more paint than the other too.

DezB
    Free Member

Hi Juan, its the Handjob.
    As I say I put the Crossmax off my Yeti in there and it's perfect.
    With the Crosstrail, it's about 1mm away from the stay with a 2.1 Hutchinson Barracuda (has big square side knobs) so any dirt on the tyre will rub.
    I don't wanna do a PP on my frame, so I think it'll be easiest to get the wheel sorted 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

How far out is it?

If it's not much, it's not a big job to pull the dish back.

DezB
    Free Member

This much

juan
    Free Member

Looks to me that it may be your frame dez, as the wheel looks more like tilt than off dished. What if you put the cross max in the HJ?

DezB
    Free Member

Yep, I did that 🙂 My first thought was the frame (seeing as it's a cheapo steel thing), but the tyre on the Crossmax is dead centre.

keavo
    Free Member

that looks like a few mm off. its a straightforward thing to fix but nothing wrong with getting it done by lbs. long term i'd say learn to do it yourself though. it could have been fixed in 1/2 hour and theres no inconvenience to you.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

take the tyre off, take it to you LBS and ask them to get the dishing tool out and check the wheel. within 2 min you should have the answer!

DezB
    Free Member

take the tyre off, take it to you LBS

That indeed, is what I will be doing on Tuesday 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oi! Enough of the insults!!! 😉

10 minute job to sort that out. Check the dish if you like, but just redish the wheel and it's sorted.
    I'd doubt it's the frame that's too far out, but that's easy enough to check with a bit of string and a ruler

DezB
    Free Member

Wish I had your time to learn the wheel building stuff, but its another 11+ years before the kid leaves home and the dog snuffs it 🙂
    Plus I ain't got one of those silly Mavic spoke keys.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I learned to true wheels from an MBUK article in about 1991 because I couldn't afford £10 a time to get it done. It's bonkers easy really.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wheel dish question’ is closed to new replies.