Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Wheel advice, 29er HOPE Pro2 evo/Crest, keeps popping tubes and not true.
  • weeksy

Bit of a whinge at the world as well as wanting some advice on the way forward guys.

I’ve got a pair of HOPE Pro2 evo/Crest combo which are 3-4 years old now. Hub serviced in about Oct. However the rim is completely crap on it. It’s got a massive dink on it and even when trued is in all honesty a LONG way from true.

So, do I get a new rim, get it rebuilt onto the Pro2 hub ? If so, will that be new spokes too ? What sort of cost is that ?

Or would it be easier to just get a new wheel in a sale etc ?

I do like the fact that with spacers etc I can swap bikes and still keep the one set of wheels, but I honestly think this rim is past it’s best and needs binning.

I run tubes so tubeless doesn’t matter and weight isn’t as important as I used to think it was.

Advise me please.

SirHC

New stan’s rim will be £60 an end, but if you arn’t interested in tubeless, mavics can be had for less. Then wheel builds are around £50 a wheel (including spokes).

weeksy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361080045582?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Too cheap and too cheerful ?

I’m also kinda sick of my Crests being a pain in the back-side to get a tyre on. Whilst of course it’s all technique, some rims make it easy, some make it harder LOL. Crests are a bit of a pain.

CRC are doing Flows for £46, should I chuck the extra at it ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stans-no-tubes-ztr-flow-29er-disc-rim/rp-prod38858

rickon
    Free Member

4 years on a rim is pretty amazing, I’d be surprised if I get a couple of years out of my Flow Exs.

What are you riding, and does it warranty a flow? IF it doesn’t, then it’s extra weight in the one place that counts for no reason.

If you find tyres hard to get on Crests, then you’ll have the same issue on Arches, Flows etc…

EDIT, those Mavic rims are pants.

Extra EDIT, what colour rim were you after? The black Flows on CRC are only 36h, as the white are 32h.

You probably won’t need to replace the spokes, if you keep the ERD the same on the new rim – but… what nipples do you have? Bog standard brass will come off easy, aluminium will probably have siezed on, and you’ll need to cut spokes.

Easy way to tell is… what colour are the nipples? If anything other than black or silver – it’s alu. IF it’s black or silver, you still can’t be sure.

weeksy

Really ? I didn’t know you got less than that out of rims, general XC with some Llandegla, Afan stuff. But mostly gentle XC really in all honesty.

I don’t really care what rim it is, as long as it’s a semi-reasonable price and will last a while, then I’m more than happy. So rim suggestions are appreciated too.

weeksy

Rim colour, well, in all honesty I don’t much care, although the other rims/wheels I have are black sets.

I bought the wheelset from JEJames in a sale years back, I’d assume Alu, but can’t be 100%, they are silver though.

AlasdairMc

CRC are doing Flows for £46, should I chuck the extra at it ?

No. Merlin are doing Flows at £48 a PAIR – Link

I’ve just done almost exactly the same thing as you – swapped a Rapid (like a Crest with eyelets) for a Flow. The build was £40 inc spokes, and I’ve got another rim for my next project too. I ended up splitting the rim wall so it would no longer seal. I would recommend going tubeless though, especially on a new rim as sealing it up is easy when it’s brand new.

swanny853

You could replace the crest with an american classic 101. I did after pringling it by landing on it sideways. It’s a little more expensive but it’s easier to get tyres on and off (it has a bead ‘lip’ rather than the whole thing being tight) and as far as it’s possible to tell these things I think it might be slightly stiffer, but that could be spokes, build, who knows.

Graphics are better/smaller too.

It’s basically the same as the crest on weight/width.

weeksy

So I’m looking at say £120 all in. May be better/easier to sell wheel as it is and just buy a new cheaper slightly lower end wheel.

I can ask my lbs tomorrow how much and what rims they have etc.

Link for American classics?

Please.

granny_ring

I’ve just bought some of These having read some good reviews on here a while ago.
    Not built up yet though so I can’t comment!

rickon
    Free Member

Loads of people use Stans rims without any issue. If youre not buying Mavics top end Crossmax, Enve rims, or light bicycle rims, then I dont see why youd choose anything else.

Crest = xc riding
    Arch ex = harder trail riding
    FloW Ex = Enduro/DH Trails, or harder trail if youre a bit tubby 😉

Your lbs will be at RRP, but will sort you out. You wont be able to sell a wheel with a dinged rim for much.

if youre using tubes on a tubeless rim (which really is the intention of Stans, even though theyre not ust) then the tyre will be a tight fit.

Get your lbs to set you up tubeless and show you what they did, it will improve your life.

swanny853

I had the AC rim from jra.

Don’t seem to pop up on google that well anymore!

weeksy

Ordered a rim from Tredz… which then resulted in the mail that said..

“we don’t have them, we’ll see what we can do”

My reply was “don’t bother, please refund me.”

Grrrrr. Why the hell do people show things as in stock when they’re clearly not !

So I’m back in the market for a Rim lol

noltae
    Free Member

I rate my crests – Can’t believe how true they still are – and I’ve battered the things on low psi .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Wheel advice, 29er HOPE Pro2 evo/Crest, keeps popping tubes and not true.’ is closed to new replies.