Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Whats your record for punctures in a day?
  • binners

I picked up 5 yesterday at Llandegla. All pinch-flats before anyone asks the obvious question.

Obviously this was mainly due to my enormous bulk landing a hardtail with the grace, finesse and elegance of a 30-legged hippo

5 though? Can you beat that then?

stumpy01

Nope. Can't beat 5. I think 3 was my best in Spain this yr in one day, although I think I had 4 in one day if you count one that I didn't discover until the next morning as it was VERY slow.

grumm
    Free Member

Crikey – 5 punctures at a smoothly groomed trail centre is pretty unfortunate. Think mine is only 2.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richc
    Free Member

5 is my record too, but it was on proper rocky trails, with very square edged boulders.

You considered a stans tubeless kit? well worth it if you are pinching that much

njee20
    Free Member

Go tubeless or put some more air in then!

I had 5 or 6 (lost count!) on a road reliability trial I did many years ago, poured with rain for 5 hours and there were flints all over the road. Not fun.

MrAgreeable

I think I got 4 pinch flats in one uplift day at Cwm Carn DH course. I was going to put something about the fact that I was riding it on a hardtail with single ply tyres, but as above, there's no hiding the fact that I was riding with all the finesse and grace of a narcoleptic jellyfish.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

I think I had 8 at cwm carn once on the DH but I was running xc tyres and tubes

ski
    Free Member

As a kid I remember repeatedly trying to fix a flat on my bmx going to school, it went down every 100 yards or so, more to do with my ability to fix a puncture than actually getting flats.

Had 4 in one session at Cannock's FTD using Conti. Speed kings, my fault I guess, for using speed kings.

AndyP
    Free Member

had 12 but all at once* so that prob doesn't count. There had presumably been some kind of bottle-smashing ceremony on the towpath behind the NCC. East Manchester, got to love it.

* That's about twice my usual annual total.

MrAgreeable

For what it's worth, I've never wanted to go tubeless for DH, as I want to run low pressures and the idea of going into a hard corner to find that your tyre has burped and lost all its air is not one that appeals.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think I had 4 once, but that was on a track where the hedge had just been cut & they were all in about a 500 yard stretch! I pushed after the 4th one.

hora
    Free Member

Walna Scar descent- matey stopped 2/3 times. I was on my supersonic skinny mountain king and had none Sat!

alexxx
    Free Member

I had 14 on the gravelanch track down from the swiss top back to morzine aswell as slicing open 2 tubeless tyres beyond repair

i spent 60euros on emergancy tubes from passers by – took a frikin age to get back!

colb
    Free Member

5 at AE last October, all pinch flat on the rocks, oh and 2 cracked ribs to round the day off perfectly!!

binners

Grumm – smoothly groomed? Have you ever ridden Llandegla?

samuri
    Free Member

about 7 or 8. That was a pretty crap ride. I'd run out of tubes and patches and still had thirteen miles to get home. Walking that far in cycling shoes is a bad idea. Mixture of thorns, glass and a sharp edge on a rim which tore off two valves.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

I once got more than 9 pinch punctures when riding/pushing my road-touring bike on a very gravelly track in Finland. Bizarrely the air seemed to stay in the tube then came out suddenly once I had reached tarmac and gone about 200m. The valve on my one spare tube was broken, and I only had 8 puncture patches so ended up stood at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere feeling very sorry for myself about 10pm on a Sunday evening. Luckily eventually a passing car stopped and the nice people took me home, gave me dinner, beer and a bed, the guy even sorted out my bike, and they sent me on my way the next day with two (!) spare tubes, puncture patches and a great packed lunch.

binners

closer inspection this morning reveals a completely fecked back rim, split down the inside of the seem

After my fifth I set off walking back in a right old huff. Big big thanks to the forestry commission bloke who kindly took pity on me and ran me the five miles back in his Land Rover

pjt201
    Free Member

erm, I don't think I've ever had more than 1. Either my style is just too graceful, or I'm not trying hard enough…

grumm
    Free Member

Grumm – smoothly groomed? Have you ever ridden Llandegla?

Er… yup – it is mostly pretty smooth surfaced isn't it? Certainly compared to bridleways in the Lake District where I mostly ride.

hora
    Free Member

I rode a footpath on Sat 🙁

It makes Llandegla look like a tarmac'd road!

cxi
    Free Member

My PB is 4 around the North Face trail and some BWs through Grizedale forest.

Conti PunctureSpeed Kings haven't been back on a bike since that ride last year.

bigsi
    Free Member

5 is my record on a 3 hour winter night ride, none of them pinch flats. It would only have been a 2 hour ride but the time it took to fix each puncture made it 3 hours. As a group i cleaned them out of spare inners.

I went out and bought a Stans kit the next day 😳

mtbfix

17 on a ride from QE Park in Hampshire about a decade ago. I was running the old semi-slick Michelin Wildgrippers that were probably overly light for general use and the thorns wished to express this point. New at the time Slime tubes meant that we didn't have to stop though but they had to go once the leaky tyre had been investigated further. Casings on those tyres were stupid thin.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Whats your record for punctures in a day?’ is closed to new replies.