Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • What's your favourite Scottish MTB trail and why? (not including trail centres)
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Sorry but I just can’t narrow it down to one trail!

No worries I meant to say favourite ‘trails’. I did Ciaran Path on Sunday and the Devils Staircase too. Totally amazing route but my arms and legs have only just stopped aching!

Spaceman
    Free Member

Blackwater Dam descent is fantastic. Unusual climb up to the dam as well.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Dumyat or Lairig Ghru

Sandwich

Gypsy descent back into Peebles, opposite side of the road from Glentress.

messiah
    Free Member

It’s not possible for me to name one favorite. I love some of the big mountain stuff I do but they take major commitment and you have to do them on the right day. In contrast the local forest stuff which I’ve been riding for 20 years can be anything I want it to be and changes every time I visit due to the latest weather – I really like the variation – so many route options and so many bike options – one hour blast on a singlespeed – two hour nadgery techy jumpy riding on my 6inch AM bike – or three plus hours playing loops on a hardtail. Even then there are three different local forests which I ride and they all differ as well – nope… I simply could not choose a favorite… I love them all.

Beagleboy

My favourite ride this year has to have been across Leacann Muir, however, the bits that someone previously posted about have been ‘improved’ I’m afraid. A couple of the guys I was with, who have ridden this route previously were suprised to note that the initial singletrack section through the trees is no longer along a streambed. Also, the final descent back down to the roadside has been tamed,(I did it with my eyes open so it must be easy), and is more of a steep twisty fire road.

However, the scenery and the weather was stunning, and the trail up on the Muir made up for a lot of the disappointment at seeing yet more ‘trail improvements’.

Now, my favourite Scottish trail?

I’ve followed the rapidly diminishing form of Kenny Wilson (well he was on a fully rigid singlespeed, and I was only on my Five 😳 ), down some stunning woodland trails in the area around Glenmore lodge. I can still feel my arms throbbing from that. The trails he took us around were awesome, some of the best I’ve ridden anywhere. Or, last year a couple of mates and I headed back up there and rode some trails out past Ryovan Bothy…I think. I remember one particular trail that just twisted through the trees, not really descending, but at just enough of an incline to keep you freewheeling at ‘Landspeeder’ velocities. I think that particular section of trail, up to the point where my wheel dipped into a rut and spangled me against a tree 😯 , has to be the one I’d like to go back and do the most. Without the high speed tree impact obviously. 😀

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

It would be a toss up between:
    Bealach na Lice to Annat
    Lochnagar to Glas Alt Shiel (as far as the waterfall)
    Beinn a Bhuird

I absolutely don’t get the Ciaran Path at all. Thought it was horrible. At least when I did it, it was all loose rubble and as much climbing as descending

enmac
    Free Member

No-one’s mentioned the Capel Mounth into Glen Clova and the Corrie Ghash back down to Loch Muick. The descent from Lochngar to Loch Muick is also pretty epic – all 2500ft of it!

Sanny
    Free Member

ooooh!

Descent off Mealle a Buchaille to Ryvoan Bothy on a sunny day.

Beinn a Bhuirdd – good call.

Rothimurchus for pottering or fast blast fun

Craig More descent to Aberfoyle

Ben Vrackie from the summit

Dunkeld Loch Ordie loop

There is just too much to choose from! Just as well you didn’t add in the Lake District, we’d be here all day!

Cheers

Sanny

DavidM
    Free Member

Thats my riding sorted for the next year then

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Ben Lomond…from June

Didn’t make the top but was still VERY good fun.

Not sure if the embed will work (see below) 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ObVRbpg_Y[/video]

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Nice vid. Well done with the sheep rescue!

fizzer
    Free Member

got to be Reinigeadal for me

scotabroad

Ditto on vid.

J0N
    Free Member

Gypsy Glen is a good and fast descent but not very technical.
    Local favourite is the Descent off the Whangie, north of Glasgow.
    Planning to get a lot more next year.

DavidM
    Free Member

So is the trail on page 21 of singletrack 60 mentioned? Looks promising, allthough most of the other pics in the article make it look like a bit of a mission to get there? Good article that.

13thfloormonk

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned it, thats the trail descending from the western end of Glen Affric down to Glen Lichd, and ultimately Glen Shiel.

I rode up it last year (did a thread on here with more pics, search my username) and thought it looked ‘epic’ a few exposed ledges and some very interesting rock sections lower down.

Its forms part of a loop though, through the horns of affric, which someone here has posted more pictures of, apparently climbing the above trail, and descending the glen north west of it, is the better loop, apparently one of the best descents in scotland according to a couple of mates…

marty
    Free Member

a munro near to an oft quoted classic with 600m vertical descent from summit to floor of glen. never seen it mentioned on here and i’m not about to start now.

😉

haggis1978

Does anyone have a link to a map of the devils staircase route please? i found this one online but obviously i’d like something with a bit more detail so i can transfer it to an OS map. cheers

http://mtbroutessws.com/DevilsStaircase.html

marty
    Free Member

should be fairly obvious from the OS map. Forest Lodge to Kinlochleven is WHW. Tarmac out of KLL, then main road/old road back to meet the DS & WHW. don’t know how much new road there is back up, would have thought and out and back would be better to avoid excess tarmac?

Dougal
    Free Member

So, in summary, England is completely devoid of trails worthy of being favourites?

Beagleboy – The two trails you describe in your last paragraph are incredible, love them both.

Sanny
    Free Member

Nah Dougal! The Lakes still have the best trails anywhere in the UK. As a paid up jock, I suppose I should say Scotland is the best but to be brutally honest, the Lakes are better if you don’t mind riding cheeky trails.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite Scottish MTB trail and why? (not including trail centres)’ is closed to new replies.