Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Anyone going to uni then?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

A level results came out yesterday, lots of mates going lower then what they needed to get in, and still getting in. I needed 3 As, got myself A*AAB. Pretty pleased.

Off to Exeter around October time to do lots of cycling, drinking, badminton, and maybe a bit of maths if I feel up to it. Can't wait.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not bad. All the cool kids have maths degrees 8)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh arsing ****, so it was A-Level results night out in town yesterday and I didn't take advantage…. sh1t and double sh1t.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Yeah, I'm off to uni…but this'll be my 3rd go… PGCE this time.

Well done on your results.

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, been there, done that 🙂

Well done on the A Levels. Smurf Mat undoubtedly did better though 😉

anagallis_arvensis

your doing a maths degree…. you realise you will never meet a real girl dont you!!!!!!!!!!

RealMan
    Free Member

you realise you will never meet a real girl dont you!!!!!!!!

Yes, hence the drinking and badminton.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You might just get lucky if you head out into the surrounding towns and villages…. you'll be able to impress the local 'talent' by counting all 6 of their fingers.

clubber
    Free Member

I disagree. Maths students that I knew/met were either complete geeks who would never meet another girl (unless it was another female geek on the course in which case they'd disappear off the face of the planet for a few weeks as they discovered sex) or very very cool types who had seemed to do very well for themselves with the opposite sex.

I know which type I reckon RealMan is 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know which type I was 8)

geoffj

Reminds me of the old joke:

Where is good to go for a night out in Exeter?
    Bristol 😆

Seriously though – good effort!

clubber
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure I know what type you were too 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

From exeter uni cycling website..

Stoke Woods is about a mile from campus, and has some interesting DH trails, as well as providing a starting point for XC loops. Further afield, Haldon Forest Park is a trail centre with a variety of routes, and is about 20mins by car, or a 50min ride away. Woodbury Common is a large area less than an hour's ride away (or 20 mins by car) with scope for a lot of XC riding, and some cheeky DH trails and a freeride spot being developed.

Further afield, we hope to run trips to Triscombe (Near Taunton), Gawton and Cwm Carn for some uplift day fun. On the XC side, we hope to have some trips out to Dartmoor, Exmoor, The Quantocks and maybe some weekends away to Afan and Cwm Carn.

BMX and DJ riders have the local BMX track, Flowerpots skate park and JLC trails (near Polsloe bridge) to play on.

Sounds like enough to keep me happy.. 😀

MS
    Free Member

Final year for me…the joys, won't be very much drinking going on I am afraid!

tomhughes46

Realman

If you want any info feel free to drop me an email. tph201 at ex dot ac dot uk

simonralli2
    Free Member

Nope – I finish my Masters Degree in September 🙂

I got three As at A Level in 1988 when that actually meant something. Nowadays that's like the equivalent of a PhD isn't it?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

In theory the kids today are all complete boffins

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah simonralli2, all we really have to do is write our name down correctly. And if you think that's hard, we usually only have about an hour and a half to do it in.

Thanks a lot tomhughes46, are you on the cycling team…? Or do you work for the uni?

thomthumb
    Free Member

don't tell the women you do maths. i knew a guy (mech eng i think) told the girls he was a nursing student – did it cos he liked to help people suffering – told it to a different one each night though!!

simonralli2
    Free Member

RealMan

Heh – chill – just joshing. If this was a sensible conversation I would comment more on the fact that genuinely talented students have been sold out by various governments, due to changes in exams and how A grades are given out.

Good luck – you have chosen a great Uni with plenty of excellent biking around!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

'Kin students….

tomhughes46

are you on the cycling team…? Or do you work for the uni?

Neither really. I'm a PhD student (in EMPS) and I'm definitely not a 'team' but do some stuff with the bike club

RealMan
    Free Member

Yes I know lol, me too. However, I gave up on electronics and physics completely in my last year. Turned up to most of the lessons, but did no work at all. Still managed to get a solid A in electronics, and 17 marks (out of 600) off an A in physics.

However, a lot of my mates who worked really hard came away with Es, Ds, Cs, and maybe a B or two. So it looks like the exams favour people who are clever rather then people who actually work. Good or bad, not sure. Works well for me though.

Ok, if I think of anything I'll let you know tomhughes46, cheers.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Uni is even more reliant on hard work over cleverness, unfortunately

IanMunro
    Free Member

That, and a long creative list of extenuating circumstances 🙂

will
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    your doing a maths degree…. you realise you will never meet a real girl dont you!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh. Go hunting around the clubs instead.

Kit
    Free Member

I'm off to uni! At the tender age of 30 🙂

Cooroo
    Free Member

Cool girls do maths degrees. I should know, I did one. Oh, I'm not actually that cool… but interesting!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Been there, done that, got a 2.1, it was rubbish.

On the plus side: some of the project work was fun, I grew my hair, twanged my guitar every day, played D&D every week for 3 years, and bedded a girl. And I got a job writing software at the end.

kiwijohn

I'm just about to finish my degree in wine making. 7 years part time & I started at the tender age of 30 as well Kit.
    Going to my final residential school next week, which will mainly be wine tasting. With a spot of riding in between.

RealMan
    Free Member

As a little update..

Accommodation Fees: £5,555.20

That's a verynicefullcarbonfullxtrsuperlightweightxcracingdreammachine right there. This whole uni lark better be worth it.

pinches
    Free Member

I'm off to do a Joint MA/MSC at the RCA/Imperial college London, starting on 4th of October. Left uni last July and took a year out. hopefully join the imperial cycling club!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Anyone going to uni then?’ is closed to new replies.