Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's wrong with my Pikes?
  • FieldMarshall

I’ve got some 2005 dual air uturn pikes that have never really been very good even when new.

They have always been very reluctant to move, ie loads of stiction.

Had them serviced by TFT a few times but that doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

Anyway recently re- fitted them to bike and now they are absolutely rock solid at about 90psi in the +ve chamber. If I then put the same in the -ve they seem to be fine, i.e. move freely with very little force. But they still feel very harsh compared to my Lyriks/Sektors.

Getting lots of oil coming out of the -ve chamber too.

Also whenever I unweight them, there is a noticeable “sucking” noise.

akira

You say that when you put 90 psi in both +ve and -ve they feel okay, what are you normally putting in them.
    There should never be much difference between the positive and negative chambers, think it’s 15 psi difference maximum.

FieldMarshall

Well for my weight I should be putting in 170psi.

But if I do that I end up with a “rigid fork” that never moves.

Crag
    Free Member

170 psi is a lot of wind.

matt_outandabout

now they are absolutely rock solid at about 90psi in the +ve chamber.

As they should be with only the +ve filled

If I then put the same in the -ve they seem to be fine

As they should be with both filled.

I had very little difference in my RS forks between chambers. I didn’t get on with damping in SID’s, Recon’s or Reba 29’s – felt odd to me…

FieldMarshall

Well that’s what’s stated on the leg. I don’t think that I have ever put that much in, but when I last used them it was definitely more than 90psi and then theres this “sucking” noise.

Is that oil in the damper cartridge or air in the shock side?

When I say “suck” it’s more like a squelch.!

v8ninety

Sounds like they’re knackered mate… I’ll take em off your hands your hands for a tenner, doing you a favour like… 😉

MarkyG82

Lol @ v8ninety

Russell96

RS Dual air forks are well known for having recommended air pressures that are fictional. Put in what you need, try about around 2/3rds. For example I’m 16 & 1/2 stone and I run mine at 110psi.

FieldMarshall

Is that a tenner including the postage?! 🙄

I’m 15st, so maybe 90psi isnt so wrong afterall.

And now I’ve emptied half a tonne of oil out of the -ve chamber they do seem to be working better than they have been for some time.

retro83
    Free Member

FieldMarshall – Member
    Is that a tenner including the postage?!

I’m 15st, so maybe 90psi isnt so wrong afterall.

And now I’ve emptied half a tonne of oil out of the -ve chamber they do seem to be working better than they have been for some time.

Where’s that oil come from then? Even if it’s come from the pos chamber, there should only be 6cc …

FieldMarshall

That’s a good question?

Dunno

But I know where it’s gone. Into my front brake pads!

v8ninety

For a tenner, I’ll collect mate! Lol. Good luck with your pikes, I love mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with my Pikes?’ is closed to new replies.