Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What's wrong with my Hilo?
  • stevenk4563
    Free Member

So, I fitted my Hilo yesterday, and inflated it to 25psi, but when I start riding it gradually sinks about 1-2 inches, also when I lower it, it will gradually rise up about 1 inch. It’s definitely not cable tension as I loosened it until it was totally slack and the problems still persist.

So what’s wrong with it STW?

VanMan
    Free Member

Need to get hold of Foxyrider off of here, he has written up this maintenance procedure and seems to know the most about them. Mine had the opposite problem in that it was a bit stiff to lower, fixed by slackening the seat collar DOH!

When pressuring it, was it upside down with the lever depressed as that was what I did wrong first off. Mine is the remote version as well which seems to be very fussy about the angle of the cable run at the bars.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Yeah, Post was upside down with lever depressed, and it is the remote version, but I checked that the cable was slack at the top of the post. I’m thinking it may not have enough oil? or I’m just too heavy for it 🙁

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Van Man, link not working would like to give mine a service any chance of a link?

mrjmt
    Free Member

I remember mine doing this while i was trying to get the pressure right.

IIRC, its due to slightly too much pressure, try letting 3-5psi out and see if that sorts it.

They seem to be VERY fussy about pressure, took me a long time to get it just right.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would also fiddle with the pressures – also when you put a shock pump on it the volume @ 25psi is very small so when you take the pump off is often drops below 25psi when the excess is lost.

My article is here:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance.htm

VanMan
    Free Member

Apologies about posting a broken link 😳
    I see its been provided by someone who knows what they are doing

foxyrider
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go that far VanMan 😉 LOL

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’ll try playing with the pressure and report back

jonathan
    Free Member

I’ve been faffing with my Hilo too and (in additiuon to Foxyrider’s good stuff) found this short FAQ on Upgrade’s pages. The one interesting thing is the “lower the post, pull up the saddle, then depress the lever” trick, which does seem to have helped my post a bit after an oil change.

I too think I might have my pressure a bit high. It doesn’t do the “gradual drop” but it does have a cm or so of springy sag going on – but only if I let it up quickly. If I feather the lever a bit when I raise it it’s rock solid. Think I’ll take a few psi out and see if a slower ascent helps things.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Think I’ll try the ‘pull up the saddle’ trick first 😀

simonm
    Free Member

intresting stuff, I have the same issues on my Hilo. I think i didnt charge it upside down, will try that tonight

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Johnathan – Just updated my article with your upgrade link 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with my Hilo?’ is closed to new replies.