Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • whats wrong with me – I urge niche – even though I know its not the holy grail
  • sefton
    Free Member

What’s going on I’ve a Turner Flux 100mm XC setup which was bought entirely by the head (completely suits my style of riding and the terrain I ride) its great!

BUT

I urge for something niche or race specific.

I can’t stop thinking of 29ers, Ridged 29ers, Cannondale lefty 29ers, Ti 456’s, Cannodale lefty flash, CX bikes.

I know these bikes might excel in certain areas or be fantastic in a race (with a good super fit rider) but I know for me they will be more of hindrance.

I justify to my self that 29er ridged will be easy to maintain meaning I’ll get out more in winter, the Lefty’s will make me super fast and faster than another bike on the same terrain, I can throw the cross bike on my shoulder and run up a bank or over a wall easy etc etc – all this is Bulls@#t I know.

BUT I STILL WANT SOMETHING LIKE THIS!

Maybe they’ll be really fun though??????????

The thing is I don’t feel like this at all about my road bike – I have a PX SL Pro and can’t ever see myself changing as I doubt I’ll ever be fit enough to get the most out of it.

JonR
    Free Member

You need to be as niche as possible, sell the turner to this chap.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wtd-turner-flux-frame

kudos100
    Free Member

29’er fun? I doubt it

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Can kind of understand where you are coming from as I constantly think about changing my road bike to a cross bike, then a fixed, then an rigid mtb set up just like my race bike for training. Until I get on my road bike then I am quite happy.

I like Ralph Naef’s comment he made on the coverage on the world xc race in response to Martin Whitley asking if he thought a 29er or 26er or full sus would be best for this course. Ralph said, (can’t remember the exact words but the gist of it was), ” Going fast is down to the rider, any bike has it’s plus points and negative points, the fastest bike is the one you are used to and know best, doesn’t matter if it’s 29er, 26 or hardtail or full suspension. Everyone starts to doubt their bike, wondering if they would be faster on something else but know the bike well and you will feel good on it.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

P.s if your worried about maintenance in the winter with the turner, why not buy a cheap-ish 26 mtb frame with rigid forks and swap the parts over for the winter? Still keep the turner, if you really do like it, but have have something different for the winter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘whats wrong with me – I urge niche – even though I know its not the holy grail’ is closed to new replies.