Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Mark Cavendish….(Spoiler)
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

some of us might have watched it live and wanted to talk about it.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tdf-stage-7-possible-spoiler-content
    I wont do the other 6 stages for you but I assume you get the picture. Debating the result or race live is great. Ruining it for those who want to watch later with a thread title is poor form.

aracer
    Free Member

But its so easy to avoid if the highlights mean so much to you posting spoilers in thread titles, so that those people who like not to know the results until the highlights can still use STW forum for other things

FTFY

I should point out that it doesn’t even affect me, as I’m happy to watch the highlights already knowing the result (though this year if I’m sitting in front of a computer I can also watch it live on TV, so it doesn’t affect me at all, at all).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps tomorrow don’t even mention a tour rider in the thread title, that way the moaners can justifiably criticise your actions

it was a perfect stage for Cav most folk would have expected him to win it. Saying his name and spoiler would lead to most interested folks assuming he won the stage which he did indeed do.
    The OP did not choose the title by accident this is what he wanted to achieve Sharki. You cannot avoid a thread title but you can avoid a thread.

boblo
    Free Member

Like I said, it was a silly, spiteful act because his earlier ‘Wiggins OUT!’ thread was pulled.

roblane65
    Free Member

sad sad sad,it’s a pair of sunglasses.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 🙁

maxray
    Free Member

Fair enough, though as I said if its important enough to be slinging *****’S about then just steer clear of the cycling forum and do something else till you get to your highlights.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ok, I think we’re clear now. I didn’t see the earlier thread so it seems it was toys out the pram then.

It’s childish to think that STW can be grown up enough sometimes not to spoil others’ enjoyment? But it’s ok to post a **** thread because one’s earlier **** thread was pulled? Hmmm…

maxray
    Free Member

I didn’t see the earlier post either, its a fair cop guv!

Junkyard
    Free Member

why do we have stay clear ? why can the OP just not list spoilers in titles?
    Other sports are treated the same way football, cricket, rugby , F1 etc. it is just a bit of common decency /respect which is become much less common.
    I think it was called Wiggins out or something similar before being pulled.

twohats
    Free Member

With its Carbon Fiber Print finish

Not the best way to start the description…
    Anyway, I was in Halfords…

rOcKeTdOg

Oh, i defended him earlier as i thought a mod had added (spoiler) to the title and people had got the wrong end of the stick, but if he posted ‘wiggo out ‘ (did he really do that? I can’t really see Houns doing that) then yes, Houns you’re a knobber!

nbt

He did post that thread, it had some lame joke about him being married as the content rather than anything about TDF. I **** hate knobbers who post results in thread titles, I don’t care if it’s TDF or football or rugby.

toys19
    Free Member

I hate knobbers who think the world should stop becasue they havent seent he highlights yet. Some of us want to discuss this now. This is really an unbelievable, quite bizarre development on STW, I cannot actually believe the MODS pulled the Wiggins Out thread, this is frankly madness.

nbt

Who’s asking the world to stop? I’m just saying that people should consider what title to use on a thread. You can happily say what you want in a thread, you don;t have to read every thread, but if the title gives it away then it’s a bit late.

Occasionally, people get a bit overexcited and post a thread without thinking, that’s unfortunate.

Occasionally, some people sit down and think really hard about how they can appear to be clever and funny and post something that gives away a result when the content of the thread is entirely unrelated. These people are knobbers

and yes, occasionally, some people do actually sit down and think and decide to post the result. These people are knobbers too.

which bit of “not posting the result in the title” is hard for you to understand?

crazy-legs

What nbt said ^^.

There’s a daily thread for TdF stuff, usually posted by RealMan where everyone talks about it.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tdf-stage-7-possible-spoiler-content
    He’s been posting them for the last week so most people know the score. Thread title doesn’t give anything away, anyone who wants to watch the highlights later can still read the rest of the forum knowing that the TdF chat is safely tucked away in that thread which they can ignore.

Then yesterday within seconds of Brad falling off the forum was awash with threads titled “Noooooo, Brad’s out” and “Wiggins out of Tour”. Then some oh so hilariously funny people started posting other threads with similar spoiler-ish titles to presumably to show their wit or just to wind people up.

Same with any sport, it’s happened beofre in F1 where there’s been a spoiler thread then somethings happened and next minute the forum is full of threads like “Hamilton crashes again!”

All that’s required is 10 seconds thought before posting as to what the thread title should be. I know that 10 seconds of thought from certain people on here is asking a lot though…

maxray
    Free Member

which bit of “not posting the result in the title” is hard for you to understand?

Tho I agree trying too hoodwink people isn’t really on its not listed in the forum rules that you can’t post results. People have been trying to avoid the footy scores of a Saturday for years.

As mentioned about 4 times now if you want to avoid a cycling result or news then avoid a cycling forum till you get home!

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

People have been trying to avoid the footy scores of a Saturday for years

So you reckon they should go on football websites and ask that no-one talks about the results til they get to watch the video? (rhetorical, not aimed at maxray).

Not defending any position btw, just seems odd to me to go on a sport specific website and expect others not to talk about a big event result.

I sometimes like to tape the rugby – keep off the rugby fansites and keep tv and radio off til I’ve watched it.

nbt

Not defending any position btw, just seems odd to me to go on a sport specific website and expect others not to talk about a big event result.

But that’s not the issue. You can talk all you want. Just don’t mention the result in the thread title. I ask again, how hard is it to understand that?

toys19
    Free Member

how hard is it to understand, if you don’t want to know the result keep off the forum. Do you avoid the news websites in case you see the results? They don’t have a no spoiler policy, why should we have it here? Its arbritary, bizarre and a bit mental.

nbt

Do you avoid the news websites in case you see the results?

Personally, yes, if I want to avoid certain results. I also keep RSS feeds for my preferred sports in a separate reader. To be clear, I couldn’t give a stuff about the TDF or the football myself, I just don’t like knobbers who think it’s funny to spoil other people’s anticipated enjoyment.

It’s not “arbritary, bizarre and a bit mental”, it’s “common sense and decency”.

I ask for the third time, how hard is this for you to understand

toys19
    Free Member

I ask for the 2nd time, how hard is it for you to understand?

I’m not saying that your desire to not know is arbritary, bizarre or mental, thats fien and if anythign a bit of fun. What is arbritary, bizarre and mental is the sense that others should have to join in and are morally compelled to join in. This is a bike forum, we want to discuss the sport and I don’t see why anyone is a knobber just for broadcasting the result. Ok it seems HOUNs did it to wind you up, but I think he may have doen it to prove two points.
    1) Its all over all the news pages, noone else hides it, if you want to avoid it, stay off the forum.
    2) There are some pillocks on here, who have come out droves on this thread.

nbt

As I said, I don’t care about this result. I’ve been on this forum for ten years now, and every year we have the same thing, “oh I want to be able to post the result in the title”. It’s not hard to understand – post a title which means people know not to read the thread if they want to avoid a result. Otherwise it doesn’t just mean staying off a cycling forum to avoid cycling results and a skiing forum to avoid skiing results etc etc, it means more or less staying off the internet in case someone posts a result about an unrelated sport – I don;t want to come on here and see that rugby result I’ve been avoiding becasue it’s a cycling forum so it’s ok to post rugby results

dont post the results in the thread title. Not. Hard.

donsimon
    Free Member

🙄

toys19
    Free Member

Umm like avoiding all forms of news media in case they publish the result? Tough I say. It’s free speech on here we will post what we like. If you wan to avoid the reuslt, stay off the forums/internet/tv/newspapers/pub/any public space where people may want to discuss current events/highhorse, that isnt that hard either is it?

nbt

common sense and decency

Tough I say. It’s free speech on here we will post what we like

we can but try 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

Well its an assumptpion of free speech – albeit moderated, sometimes foolishly.

rOcKeTdOg

If it was free speech on here then there wouldn’t be moderators, but there are and it isn’t

mrmo
    Free Member

ffs…. thought i would read this thread, sorry but anyone saying it is free speech and other such crap really needs to have a rethink.

it is quite easy to avoid the places on the internet where the results are going to be, am i the only person who notices that news on tv often actually warns viewers about sports results.

If you want to post about something use you head, it applies to all parts of life, but i guess you think it is acceptable to post news in general before those affected are aware.

captain-slow
    Free Member

two groups of people with diametrically opposed views fail to see each others points of view shocker…

fwiw I have pretty much no sympathy with those who think spoiler content is unacceptable or who imagine some unwritten agreement exists around this, but I understand that those who think differently are entitled to their opinion and that I am not going to persuade them to change their perspective

I wonder if they understand that I am entitled to my opinion and that I am not going to change it even if they repeatedly call me a nob?

have a nice day

captain-slow
    Free Member

oh and by the way I like some of the superstarcomponents stuff

donsimon
    Free Member

Everything was going so well, until:

oh and by the way I like some of the superstarcomponents stuff

😉

captain-slow
    Free Member

sorry don, couldn’t help myself

igmc…

mrmo
    Free Member

two groups of people with diametrically opposed views fail to see each others points of view shocker…

yes, one group who have a degree of courtesy and would post a thread that allows someone the choice to read the contents, and a group of kn*** who have no courtesy. Bit like life in general i guess.

boblo
    Free Member

I’m surprised at you Toys, you’re normally one of the more tolerent people on here.

No one is asking anyone to not talk about anything and there are no impications for ‘free speech’. We’re just asking that you don’t shout a result from the rooftops of something people might reasonably be looking forward to seeing during the highlights show. Some of us don’t spend all day following the news/fora/websites etc and may choose to avoid news/sites etc to enjoy the highlights as if they were the race unfolding live.

You might not think that’s worthy but it only takes a nano second of consideration, no pain, no money and no aggro to avoid putting a result (TdF, footy, rugby etc) in the thread title. Yes we can avoid STW completely but it really shouldn’t be neccesary. It’s a little tiny weeny bit of consideration not a pint of blood.

Please just think about this when posting. Houns BTW was just being a chump and reacted like a 10 year old when he was pulled up by a Mod.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Can the mods create a sticky thread called:

SPOILER: The Tour de France Thread

and ban anyone who opens another thread about it?

maxray
    Free Member

Ok this is just silly. 10 years in here and still stupid enough not to avoid the forum if you don’t want a tdf spoiler! Now that really is hard to understand!! As most people in here slack off work to post its not like you don’t have a valid task to keep you off here for a few hours in the afternion.

boblo
    Free Member

maxray – Member
    Ok this is just silly

On this, at least, we agree.

My mission in life now is to do this by default. Come the football season/autumn internationals/olympics, as soon as the event is over, I’m going to post the results in forum titles. Yes, lets just see how reasonable that is. But, for those that it impacts, they can always stay away so that’s OK then….

<sigh>

toys19
    Free Member

boblo, i think I am being tolerant, tolerant of peoples right to discuss current events without fear of retribution from some anal wierdo’s who have to watch the whole program at 7pm pretending that its happening in real life when the rest of the world knows what went on. I dont deny anyones right to be anal and wierd, I just dont think they should project it on the rest of us by calling people knobs and proposing banning those who want to live in the real world and discuss actual current events.

They way I see it is that the no tdf spoilers crew are intolerant, if they want to exist in their strange little bubble then stay away from real time interactive media where the point is to be real time and interactive.

My mission in life now is to do this by default. Come the football season/autumn internationals/olympics, as soon as the event is over, I’m going to post the results in forum titles. Yes, lets just see how reasonable that is. But, for those that it impacts, they can always stay away so that’s OK then….

<sigh>

This is justs as silly as it isnt what you want to do, I for one am not particulalry interested in deliberatly posting spoilers, but I might have by accident as I didnt realise it was the done thing on here, and I am even more surprised by the vociferous hating of houns for doing so (on purpose or not). That is an example of intolerance.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

How long should people wait in not posting threafs that may show a result? Just til the next day, a week for those who are working away? a month to be safe?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tough I say. It’s free speech on here we will post what we like

You were putting your point of view (albeit the wrong view) across well until you said that. Then you lost.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Mark Cavendish….(Spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.