Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's worth riding in the Weymouth area?
  • essexbiker
    Free Member

Off on my jolly’s next week to Weymouth and looking to take my bike. What’s worth riding in or around Weymouth area?

razorrazoo

Purbecks and the surrounding area is close by. Never ridden in the area but been there at least once every year for the last 15 years, but never for long enough to take a bike (family hols and all that). Is a beautiful part of the country. And be sure to visit the Square and Compass.

essexbiker
    Free Member

Thanks razorrazoo

squoglybob
    Free Member

Theres a Monument inland a few miles from Weymouth, HARDY’s Monument i think?

I worked in the area for a bit and we used to ride up the Old road not the new bypass up a cart track and left and straight across to the monument, the route back is all down and is a good leg loosener.

Have a look at google you should be able to see a route,

mtbel
    Free Member

puddletown woods nr Dorchester

Freester

In addition to Purbecks and Puddletown Woods you’ve got Wareham Forest. You need to know your way about but Dorset Rough Riders (the local club) organise rides in Wareham / Purbecks and know all the singletrack.

Another nice (but cheeky) ride is all away around the coastpath on Portland. Some fun techy / rocky stuff. Go and have a play in Tout Quarry too. Although cheeky trails – smile and be polite and you won’t have any problems.

The local Weymouth / Dorch Bike Shop – Mud Sweat N’ Gears do local MTB rides on a Thurs evening out of Wey and Dorch that are worth joining.

samunkim
    Free Member

Just to the east of Osmington there is a WWII fort. Inland from there is a terraced wood which is quite good fun (2008 info though) . Worth a quick diversion if you are doing the cost path in that direction…

Looks like a good chance to set a KOM going up

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15/-2.36390/50.63891/blue/run

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's worth riding in the Weymouth area?’ is closed to new replies.