• This topic has 49 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by devs.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • whats with all the 9 speed
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

9speed, about 400 – 450 miles so far on a bike set up and built by *shock horror* …. halfords. i ride on nothing smooth, i stomp my feet down whilst in the middle ring to climb hills, im not a small lightweight person, i change gear at the wrong times (usually whilst stomping up a hill) and i’ve never used a proper lube (yet) just gt85.

no problems so far 🙂

if it does snap then i’m buying a heavy duty chain and a small pack of this sram chain link thingies and i will wrap my broken chain around my neck and wear it like a medal celebrating my obvious awesomeness for riding hard enough to break stuff

Netdonkey

What other components is he changing when he replaces the chain?

VanHalen

but do you *need* the extra gears 9 and 10 give you?

i`d happily buy light weight top end 8sp, if anyone made it.

still ive just aquired an xt 9sp casette so all i need now are shifters and i’ll only be one step behind the masses.

i might even go rapidfire ratheer than gripshift.

njee20
    Free Member

2×9 is great, 1×10 still gives a reasonable range, and 2×10 should suit more or less everyone.

If you’re still running a triple then I can see there’s less justification, but the wider ratios afforded by having more sprockets makes a lot of sense.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy with 3 x 8 here, I don’t see increased prices, hassle and wear as progress, just capitalism.

shortcut

Can’t see the issue here.

Quite happy pottering around on 1 gear!

Have a geared bike in the garage – not used it for a while – that is running 7 speed and has done since purchase. Still got original Ritchey Megabite Tyres on it too! And a 531 frame and rigid forks, DX groupset and canti brakes. Lovely but sadly unused as it has far too many gears! It is for sale is anyone want it!

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

8 speed chains are more resistant to clogging up with mud than 9 speed chains…

R.lepecha

when he replaced the chain he had new chainrings and cassette too.

R.lepecha

double post

devs
    Free Member

Blimey, some people get really emotional over their kit don’t they? I snap 2-3 9sp chains a year. In the snow last winter I did 3 in 3 months but I suspect that was ice wedged in the cassette forcing the plates apart. I am big, heavy and strong but I have yet to bust the 8sp chain on my singlespeed in over a year. If I can get the parts I’m going 8 sp on my next bike build. If I can’t it’ll be 9. Until you have had a stem in the guts with 18st worth of force behind it I doubt you’ll be able to understand the reluctance to move to lighter, thinner gear no matter how many claims internet warriors make on forums that the newer stuff is stronger. Why don’t they make singlespeeds out of 11 speed chains and rings I wonder? Each to their own but I know where my cash is going.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘whats with all the 9 speed’ is closed to new replies.