Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whats up with my shin??
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

I know that this is far from a medical site but someone my have had something similar before.

I have had an ache in my shin for a few weeks now mostly around the ridge between my muscle and bone and in true MTFU style just been ignoring it as it hasnt really been affecting my riding. I ride about 3 times a week.

This week however it has got a lot worse, my calve is hurting, i have shooting pains in my toes and i cant walk more than 10 meters without a world of pain.

Ive tried hot baths and my good lady massaging it for me but to no avail.

My mate reckons shin splints but i havent really ran for about a month and now its effecting my riding.

Any suggestions before i bite the bullet and see my doctor

Thanks

matthew_h
    Free Member

Sounds exactly like shin splints to me. I had massage to relieve mine and it worked a treat

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

shin splints but go an see your gp

TimP
    Free Member

Gangrene, get it taken off at the knee

Stuey01
    Free Member

Go and see a doctor. GF’s brother had something similar, but in his forearm, was a fluid build up between muscles or something (can’t remember exact details), anyway they had to go in and drain it to sort it, he’s fine now.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Probably shin splints but you shouldn’t trust me as i’m not a doctor, if it is shin splints then do what you get told and rest it, I MTFU when i developed it and made it worse.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Defo sounds like shin splints, I had this problem in 2009, during marathon training. Massage did me a lot of good, but ultimately rest is best. You could maybe wear compression on your calfs for the day, I wear tubi-grip on my calfs all day after long runs.

Duane…
    Free Member

What kinda rest times are we talking? I did a half marathon 2 weekends ago, and now anything more than a couple seconds of running hurts the shins.
    I know it will vary for person to person, but roughly, a few days, weeks, months etc?

piha
    Free Member

Could be the early signs of rickets or perhaps scurvy. MTFU and get some vitamins in ya.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Compartment syndrome?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Sounds like a textbook case of shindonitis. 😉

DaveRambo

Many athletes get shin splints, also called sore shins or medial tibial stress syndrome, at one time or another. Whether you jog daily or just sprint to catch a bus one day, you can get shin splints. While they often heal on their own, severe shin splints can be a problem.

Shin splints aren’t really a single medical condition. Instead, they’re just a symptom of an underlying problem. They might be caused by:

irritated and swollen muscles, often caused by overuse.
    stress fractures, which are tiny, hairline breaks in the lower leg bones.
    over-pronation or ”flat feet”, which is when the impact of a step causes the arch of your foot to collapse, stretching the muscles and tendons.
    Shin splints are very common. They are the cause of 13% of all running injuries. Runners might get them after increasing the intensity of their running or changing the surface they run on from a relatively soft surface to a hard surface. Shin splints are also common in dancers.

I suggest you stop dancing.

888trojan888
    Free Member

Very strange that i might have shin splints as i havent done alot of impact training recently mostly training on the bike which is supposed to be low impact?!?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Have you taken a blow to the shin area? Could be a haematoma. Go see your GP.

Diawl
    Free Member

Mine went when I changed my running shoes. Never had them since, but then again I don’t run any more. 🙄

McHamish
    Free Member

shin splints…I get them…..and I hate them.

I get them from running…sometimes getting special running shoes fitted can fix the problem but it didn’t help me. I also get them from skipping…fricking annoying.

When I was applying for the army I was doing a lot of running and went to see a physio…he used some kind of gadget which didn’t do much (I think he just liked applying the lubricating gel to my manly legs).

But he also recommended a load of exercises…you can find them on the internet if you have a quick search.

Oh…ignoring or training over shin splints isn’t a good idea. The pain may subside once you’ve warmed up but you’re likely to do more serious damage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whats up with my shin??’ is closed to new replies.