Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What's this brush for?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

Just bought a Park Tool brush set for cleaning the bike. Most of them are pretty obvious where they would be used, but I can’t figure out what this one’s for? The grey bit isn’t soft foam, its a scratchy scouring pad type material which I wouldn’t want anywhere near frame paint, anodised aluminium, or nice shiny metallic surfaces! Any suggestions….

topper

Wheels perchance? Looks about the right size for getting in amongst spokes, rims and hub bodies.

spooky_b329

Tyre sidewalls?

Although you can get kitchen washing up sponges with ‘scratchy’ metal on them, which unlike the scratchy green version, are non-scratch like the white ones.

WillH
    jekkyl

Winnits.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok, I should have seen that coming 😀 In my defence I did change the original question from “What should I do with this?” as I thought that’d just be too much temptation…

Anyway, checked on the Park website (yes I know, maybe should have done that first) and they describe it as “Frame cleaning sponge/bristle brush”.

There’s no way I’m letting that scratchy nylon scouring pad near my lovely frame paint – what were they thinking!

Stevelol
    Free Member

Scratchy? I’ve been using that on everything on my bike (carbon Solo) for months and it hasn’t exploded yet.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Oh OK thanks Stevelol, maybe it softens a bit in use? Feels awful scratchy to me, especially the hard strip down the middle where the two halves are glued together. Maybe will give it a try on a ‘test patch’ (wife’s bike 😉 ).

stu_d
    Free Member

I’ve got a similar brush from Finish Line and that is for scrubbing tyres

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

It looks more like a Car Alloy wheel brush, the scratchy bit helps to remove baked on brake dust.

scotroutes

Try not washing your bike. Then you’ve less chance of scratching it.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Frame scratches are a bit of a raw nerve at the moment after I had someone’s brake lever rubbing against my seat tube for a one and a half hour shuttle the other day. So I’m not amused 👿

scotroutes

scotroutes – Member
    Try not washing your bike riding your bike to the top of the trail. Then you’ve less chance of scratching it.

😉

perthmtb
    Free Member

Try riding your bike to the top of the trail. Then you’ve less chance of scratching it.

Oh so very true! It seems 99% of the damage to my bike comes from transporting it on shuttles/airplanes/racks of cars – oh and a speciality of mine (much to the constant amusement of my riding buddies) comedy slow motion fall-overs when leant against objects in the car park* 🙄

*the bike, not me!

njee20
    Free Member

Try not washing using your bike. Then you’ve less chance of scratching it.

Even better!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

It looks more like a Car Alloy wheel brush, the scratchy bit helps to remove baked on brake dust

this. Most cheapish car washing brush kits have this brush and its listed as a wheel brush. Park probably buy a generic brush package and get it labelled up with their logos.

I had one in a brush kit and it went nowhere near my bike!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What's this brush for?’ is closed to new replies.