Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What's the Verdict on Hanging Bikes off the Wall?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Are there suspension forks that don’t like it or is it good to go? I want to hang my bikes off the wall so that they take up less room, but don’t want my forks buggering themselves up.

Forks are Fox Float F100, RS Lyriks, RS Revelations, RS Totem 2-Step Airs and MZ 888 RC3Ti.

Also, recommended hooks?

Ta.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I use the Leonardo hooks. Got fox and rs revs hangs will no ill effect. Not sure the ava open bath cart in the fox 36s really likes it but all is good after I’ve cycled them a couple of time once they’re the right way up.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I store mine on one of these, can get two bikes on no problem for forks as they are held by the top tube.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mont-blanc-folding-arm-wall-mount-cycle-holder/rp-prod40980

It’s a good use of the rooms high ceiling I have the bottom of the tyres at about head height and it fills otherwise dead space.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Hang mine by the bars with the saddle resting against the wall rather than risk strain to rims or forks. Think my hooks came from Clas Ohlson or whatever they are called

eskay

I have quite a few of these (road & mtbs hanging from the front wheel). Used to be £2.99 but still worth the money now:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_249484_langId_-1_categoryId_242557

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not sure if the damper units are sealed on forks. If they’re the same as rear shocks it shouldn’t be a problem as rear shocks are mounted in all sorts of orientations across many different bikes.

nickewen
    Free Member

I hang mine as pictured in the below thread. Someone on here suggested such a solution but I can’t remember who! Saves worrying about forks but I sometimes worry it will fall and hit me or the GF on the heed..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/inspired-by-stw-bike-storage-content

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Cheers, so sounds like I won’t have any problems with hanging the bikes that way. I need to hang them side by side rather than side ways on as I’ve got 11 bikes to find space for and can’t have them covering all the walls!

I’d quite like to knock up a platform that can be winched into the ceiling space out of the way, but I don’t have time for that right now.

LoCo
    Free Member

If your forks leak when they’re hung up, they have an issue.

Only thing they may need is a few pumps to get the oil back into the right place in the damper system before you ride them. 😀

plyphon
    Free Member

Hang mine by the bars with the saddle resting against the wall rather than risk strain to rims or forks. Think my hooks came from Clas Ohlson or whatever they are called

You’re kidding yourself if you think the stress from hanging your bike from the rim is anywhere near the abuse you put your rims under on your average MTB mince.

Your bike will be fine hung by the rims.

And on that note, as LoCo said, if your forks leak they have an issue bigger than being hung on the wall. Again – you’re kidding yourself if you think forks are kept perfectly upright and straight all the way from China to your garage.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Id even go so far as to suggest that some forks actually benefit from being inverted while stored.

alpin
    Free Member

my worry would be the brakes, esp. if you ave Avids.

hanging forks upside down shouldn’t do anything other than help lube up the top seals.

i often turn the bike upside down in order to do this. however, i don´t run Avids, so no adverse affects. 🙂

my solution…

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Right, ordered some hanging brackets from eBay, £5 a pop and they look pretty decent. Just need to clear some space so I can get them hung up…

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

I too need to hang a bike vertically, any issues with air getting to wrong place on the brakes or owt?

Onzadog
    Free Member

On a properly bled brake, no. On a brake with air already in it, could possibly migrate from lever to caliper.

crikey
    Free Member

Anyone doing nice wooden bike storage shelves in the UK?

This kind of thing…

Without the fixie nonsense, obviously.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m sure any self-respecting STWer could knock one of those up in a couple of hours after work.

nbt

I hang all my bikes up by either the front or back wheel, the only one that suffers is the tandem as the avid brakes aren’t keen on it, need to cycle them quite a lot before they’re happy again. I’ve now stopped hanging the tandem

stumpy01

LoCo – Member

I recently got all my bikes hung up on the wall in the garage and went in next morning to find oil from my 08 Reba’s all over the floor…. 😯

They’ve always done it on and off to be fair, but I’d forgotten about it. I think it’s something to do with the o-rings in the top of the legs not being large enough.

Tracey

Been hanging ours for years with no problems. Use the Decathlon hooks as they will take a 2.5 tyre easily

Saccades
    Free Member

Tracey – are those 9″ blocks? I’ve 4 bikes I want to store vertically like that in the new shed, I’m trying to work out the width that will be required.

mind you I could stagger the heights to cramp them in a bit closer I guess.

bob_summers

My bike room is about to be turned into a baby’s bedroom, with (apparently) nowhere else to store about 6 bicycles, so

clubber
    Free Member

there’s no problem hanging them up but some forks will leak oil if hung up particular ways. For example my SS with Pace RC40s leaks oil out of the top of the fork legs if hung by the front wheel so I hang that one up by the back wheel.

Ditto for some brakes.

LoCo – Member

Yes, arguably it’s called a design fault 🙂 Several Pace forks do this and their answer to me was that they’re designed for riding the right way up…

AlexSimon

I’ve had a hard time working out the optimum spacing too.
    Bikes are flippin spikey things

clubber
    Free Member

I try to space mtb/road/mtb/road/etc as that seems to work best with the wide mtb bars overlapping the road bikes without getting in the way.

stumpy01

If you aren’t hanging them on an end wall, they can protrude a long way out into the space you are storing them in.
    To get round this, I mounted some angle cut fence timber on the wall (Arris timber, I think it’s called from Wickes) I then mounted the hooks to this, so the bikes sit at 45degrees to the wall.

It has improved things, but they still protrude quite a way into the garage, so I am considering bricking up the window in the end wall of the garage and moving them to that wall.

Another thing I did that I’d probably change was mounting the hooks at a height where the front tyre normally contacts the ground, rather than higher up the wall (where a straight line projected from the fork would reach the floor.
    The front wheels tend to ‘flip flop’ side to side in the hook, whereas if the hook was in line with the projection of the fork this wouldn’t happen.

Tracey

Dont know what a 9″ block is so would need to be enlightened. Found the easiest way to stre them was with the wheels at 45 deg so that the bars are on an angle and bikes can be put in and out easy. Room for 7 bikes on the back wall. Garage has been cleaned up abit now so the unicycle is on the top deck and the snowboard are hung up.
    Floor has also been painted and the bike area carpeted with some special stuff that came from the entrance area at work.

clubber
    Free Member

I built a rack with some 4×2 (just a triangle at each end with three beams across to join them) so that the hooks sit out from the wall and the bikes hang down off the hooks. works well and avoids the front wheels flopping around.

stumpy01

clubber – Member
    I built a rack with some 4×2 (just a triangle at each end with three beams across to join them) so that the hooks sit out from the wall and the bikes hang down off the hooks. works well and avoids the front wheels flopping around.

Yeah, reckon this is what I am going to do when/if I move mine.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What's the Verdict on Hanging Bikes off the Wall?’ is closed to new replies.