Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • What's the most silly expensive component in your unwanted spares box?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just put Edge/Enve Carbon Composite Handlebars on a kids bike, highly desirable bars if they weren’t cut 670mm wide, pretty much worthless now (£25 max?). I’m close to tears.

jimw
    Free Member

A rapid rise xtr m970 rear mech attached to M960 sti shifter/brake levers-bought to replace a damaged M960 rear mech used a few times, then got rid of shifter/brakes and went conventional.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Several frames, including a carbon FS frame, or maybe the dropper post that fits it!

postierich
    Free Member

two sets of Maverick forks bought just for spares just in case my other 3 sets of forks deck up!

1-shed
    Free Member

Postirich, am I a fool for taking off the guards on my Duc forks or should I be looking for spares? Sorry for the hijack.

smatkins1
    Free Member

A new set of three raceface chainrings and an xtr front mech. Silly things!

scotroutes

I’ve a Ti hardtail frame and a set of RC31 C-types that are looking a bit forlorn. I reckon that a cheap set of cranks and a SS-adapter would be enough to convert them into a winter gadabout.

Oh – and then there’s the Alfine 11/Rolling Daryl Fatbike wheel…..

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Moots RSL stem, well until last week when i moved it on

Northwind

I’m just working out a deal on an orange patriot frame, and the only other part I’m going to buy for it, is a cable outer- everything else is in the spares box. Full 10 speed saint drivetrain? Formula The One brakes? Hope Hoops (or maybe the DT EX1750s, or the Fulcrum Red Zones). Shimano Pro finishing kit and a Charge Knife ti railed saddle. Oh and a set of titanium axles superstar nano pedals. I might never actually ride it but having all that stuff bolted to a frame is at least less embarassing than tripping over it in the garage

Unfortunately my spare dropper post won’t fit it so I guess I’ll have to build another bike. Lucky I’ve got all those other spare gears, wheels, brakes and finishing kit…

Basically I am a disappointment to myself 😆

premier
    Free Member

I have two ‘spare’ sets of SRM cranks to go with the three sets fitted to bikes…

njee20
    Free Member

I have two ‘spare’ sets of SRM cranks to go with the three sets fitted to bikes…

Stop the thread, you’ve won! 😯

hairyscary

A Whyte 146 carbon frame fitted with an Avalanche tuned shock as a spare in case I break my current frame. I should sell it as I doubt I’m going to break a Nukeproof Mega.

scotroutes

Are you taking bets?

Northwind

hairyscary – Member

A Whyte 146 carbon frame fitted with an Avalanche tuned shock as a spare in case I break my current frame. I should sell it as I doubt I’m going to break a Nukeproof Mega.

And also, the 146 might crack if you store it too hard

notmyrealname
    Free Member

A couple of sets of XX1 cranks, a couple of pairs of Hope Hoops and a few other bits and bobs sitting about.

hairyscary

scotroutes – Member
    Are you taking bets?

It’s doing pretty well so far Colin 😀

hairyscary

Northwind – Member

😆 😆

nuke

I felt bad about the various frames/forks/wheels i have wasting away in the garage until i read this thread 😯

somouk
    Free Member

I thought an old set of expensive the cleg german 4 pot brakes were bad but you lot take it to another league with spares.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

so far after having a clearout of my ultimate man cave i have

2 x pairs of dt swiss 240 hubs
    1 x pair of dt 190 road hubs
    1 x pair of aivee sr5 road hubs
    1 x pair of aivee edition mtb hubs
    1 x easton ec70 wide bard
    1 x fsa carbon drops
    1 x saracen killi team 853 frame
    1 x salsa cro moto forks the 425 a-c ones
    3 king headsets

plus loads more parts that are mine and not stock 😳

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

highly desirable bars if they weren’t cut 670mm wide, pretty much worthless now

You could still have got a decent price for them, none of my bars are wider than that.

Scapegoat

Right now a Magura140Thor, bars, stems, seatpostss, saddles,shifters, a couple of mechs, a chain, a cassette, tyres, and a whole road bike.now, if I could shift the road bike I could find a nice frame to stick the other bits on to make another bike. ….. and I expect I could find a decent crank and brakes to go with the rest if I asked Santa nicely 😀

doof_doof
    Free Member

Tune hubs and a Hollowgram SiSL crankset

cp

This thread makes me feel so much better.

nach
    Free Member

Erm… just a spare SLX clutch mech for when I inevitably smash the one currently on the hardtail, and some BMX wheels that I’m planning to sell. I don’t have much lying around; I’m ruthless when it comes to selling or passing on bits I’m not using.

I loled. Got a mate who warrantied two of those so far.

user-removed
    Free Member

A £60 downhill stem which I bought and tried to paint black. I don’t have a downhill bike 😳

hairyscary

I loled. Got a mate who warrantied two of those so far.

Admittedly this was crash damage……they still warrantied it though!

IMAG0532 by MattNSmith, on Flickr

chip
    Free Member

A new CB iodine 3 wheelset though i will probably use them in the spring.

not a single item, but tyres, i think i have a fetish or something as i have many yet i still flippin buy them.

euans2
    Free Member

A Commencal Meta SX frame

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A set of wheels with Chris King hubs as spares to my DTswiss 240 hub set of wheels.

metalheart
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve a boxed/new XT groupset. Bought start of the year ‘just in case’….
    10 speed campag groupset & nucleon wheels (used).
    NOS ultegra compact chainset, 44 cm bars, bottle cages, chain, cateye computer and a fancy carbon railed saddle destined for a new road bike that I never bought…. 😳

jam-bo

x0 gripshift. I’ve never run gripshift

paule
    Free Member

My main problem is frames, wheels and tyres…

Got about 7 spare 26″ wheels, a bent set of road wheels (waiting for insurance payout to replace them), about 15 tyres (including 3 pairs of dh tyres, and I sold my last dh bike in 2011) and 4 frames.

I think it might be time for a clearout! (Or time to turn it into complete bikes!)

Joe

Fox Evolution 27.5 650b Talas 34 Talas 130mm-160mm Forks

With that thought i’m off to the classified now.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

2 ENVE AM 29″ rims.

I haven’t owned a 29″ for about 6 months 🙄

CHB

An unused USE alien aero seatpost. Lovely thing. bought it in a sale for peanuts, but its way too long for anything other than an early 90’s Kona frame (or similar crazy long seatpost design).

iainc

Saddles. Have far too many incl lovely spesh phenom and henge, various others, must move on in new year.

mt
    Free Member

A Cotic Soda frame

mattbee

If I ignore the 5 frames and 3 sets of suspension forks, and probably 8 or so wheel sets the XO 9 speed drivetrain is probably the most expensive collection of stuff I will be unlikely to ever use again. Every now and then I do build up a ‘bits box bike cheap and flog to a mate for beer money, helps clear the garage and I’m far too lazy for selling stuff on the classifieds…

edward2000
    Free Member

A ccdb air

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘What's the most silly expensive component in your unwanted spares box?’ is closed to new replies.