Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Whats the most obscene amount you have spent on a component?
  • miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Most stuff I buy for my bike is second hand, so whenever I buy something new (helmet for 80 quid) it’s pretty hard to swallow!

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Rusty, a BREW bmx frame went on ebay for £10.50 last month. no one knew what it was!!!

I woulda had it but had just sold my bmx and didn’t have funds to build another 🙁

My silliest purchase would have to be £45 for a TUNE ti seatpost clamp.. oh dear

mhuk
    Free Member

This thread makes my £150 on a 2nd hand coffee machine seem like small beans 🙂 and £350 on a pair of DT Swiss wheels a bargain.

ianpinder
    Free Member

2600 for a frame
    46+0 for some brakes.

MrAgreeable

About eighty quid for some mudguards.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/mudguards/road/product/koken-mudguards-32924

I bent the first one on its second outing. It bent back though. I love having a layer of beautiful hand-made shininess between me and the filth.

Ian, your post just reminded me to add your bike to the blog. And have another little wince on your behalf. 🙁

AndyP
    Free Member

£350 on some handlebars. It sounds wrong even to me.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

£240 on Ay-Up lights was and still is a source of amusement to my non-biking friends. About to click ‘buy’ on a RF Deus XC crankset today and I may treat myself to a new wheelset next month.

tinsy
    Free Member

Pwew I thought I was bad, some of you make me look frugal..

2nd the Chris Kind headset as an expensive uneeded purchase.

Xpedo ti pedals, even at half price was double there true worth.

But my most stupid was a £45 chain because it was in a sale and gold coloured!!

njee20
    Free Member

I liked the Xpedo ti/ti pedals, but they didn’t last 5 minutes!

tinsy
    Free Member

High maintenance them pedals, have to be stripped and greased often then they last better, still dont think they are as easy to clip into as a 520 though… Got a cheap set of low spec ones off here and rebuilt the ti ones back into working order using the new pedal bodies.

BigJohn

It has to be lights.

a) because we all had as much fun in the dark (if not more) when we just had cheap 10w jobbies

b) and as soon as one rider turns up with a Wilma, nobody else can see so everybody has to fork out for an upgrade.

ton

£1400 on a frame
    £500 on some pete matthews wheels (the rear on broke on the 1st descent in the alps) 😥

epicyclo

Chris King Ti headset. Don’t want to remember how much it cost, and it doesn’t really do the job any better than the Cane Creek it replaced.

But it’s shiny.

AND when I’m bent over puffing up a hill, the condensation of my breath makes the lettering stand out – can’t read it otherwise.

mr_stru

I think the 50 odd quid for the replacement damper for the AMP linkage forks I had way back when. Mostly as I broke the forks just after I got it. 350 for the forks was a lot to me at the time too.

They were the most “oooh, what are those” component I’ve every had though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Prob the most i’ve spent was £1800 for my last bike, since then the most i’ve spent was £390 for some new Float 32 RLCs, that scared me a little seeing as my financial birds were coming home to roost at the time. F*ck it sprung to my mind at the time!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

burgtech pedals, they’r just so violent/beutifull looking i cant bear to take the V8’s off and put them on!

The pins are so feking huge that my shoe doesn’t even touch the pedal! Anyone with a lathe fancy shortening and sharpening the end of 10 bolts for me?

mcboo
    Free Member

£80 on a pair of Mavic shorts that have fallen to bits in 3 months! Rubbish!

waihiboy
    Free Member

£27 for a pair of bling gold coloured jockey wheels for my XO rear mech.

cheaper than the PLASTIC OEM ones and to be honest do feel better (in my head)

after one weekend the gold colouring has worn off!

3 clicks on ebay after a few beers 😯

boywilson
    Free Member

Mine would proberbly be –

£1200 for a set of used SRM cranks, still got a good deal though 😯

Got my Lightweight wheels for a bargain!

Would hate to add up the total value of all my kit though!

zokes
    Free Member

£100? 😉

BigJohn

I was once lying on a hospital bed with both bones broken in my leg and it was all floppy.

The nurse came and said she was going to cut my rather expensive shorts off before I went down to surgery.

I said NO! and Mrs BigJohn said “why not? its only a pair of shorts” I then had the dilemma of admitting how much I paid or losing them.

When I told her, she glared at me but whipped them off sharpish. Stung a bit.

jimmy

£1697 in Halfords last week

nicko74

£950 for my Soda frame! 🙂 Most of the rest of the kit is secondhand or I spent ages hunting around for the best price, so forks were £200, wheels I think £100 and so on. Although I may shortly spunk c£150(?) on a Royce BB – even I’m struggling to justify that one…

UK-FLATLANDER

£700 for a CaneCreek Double Barrel with Ti spring – It’s lovely none the less 😉

Dougal
    Free Member

£1200 for a frame. At trade. Complete bike is around £5k insured.

Current client buys himself and his wife new £8000 road bikes every year. Seems nuts to me, but then I don’t have bling unless it’s going to last, or someone else is buying/replacing it. Both of my road bikes together are < £2k.

ziggy
    Free Member

Just ordered £291 worth of white DT aerolites spokes. Oh and some DT Ceramic hubs to go with, £630 the pair!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

Excluding bike 2006 Kona brought in 2007, £316 on a set of Rockshox reba races from CRC as recommended by quite a few on here along with a Raceface team jacket and new seatpost (xc deus) and a Syncros saddle had it delivered to work, my work mates now think iam mental.

njee20
    Free Member

Aah yes, White Aerolites, they’re definitely pointless bling. You should have bought some spray paint, you can scratch the finish off with your finger nail!

DT190s are not particularly impressive hubs either IME, sorry!

AntM
    Free Member

Royce Ti BB, a beautiful piece of engineering…

hillsplease

£28 for a hose for the Juicy 3s that cost my £40. Normal hose, not fancy at all.

phildowling
    Free Member

jimmy – Member
    £1697 in Halfords last week

Car parts??? No one really should spend that much on a bike with them!

Mines my Ti29er frame which was trade so can’t stick price up i’m afraid 😐
    Although i think that may be blitzed by my next….

hh45
    Free Member

£120 on some Ti skewers. Part of a £950 wheelset and I can’t even get the feckers to stay inflated (see threads on Stans NoTubes!)

£90 on a carbon stem for roadbike was a bit rich I thought.

Rear wheel with Rohloff hub £750
    Pair of second hand wheels from LBS with Rohloff hub. £550. I said “I’ll have them !” before he had chance to tell me what rims and front hub it was.
    FSA ceramic jockey wheels for Rohloff tensioner. £30
    Nokon cables for Rohloff. £85
    SRAM PC1 chain. £7. Destroyed it in one 70km muddy ride. That’s 10p per km, or about the same running costs as my Land Rover on LPG.

brakes
    Free Member

£300 on a pair of Avid Codes

I generally don’t buy bling and tend to get stuff 2nd hand

Kinavit
    Free Member

Ringle ti skewers back in the day. I’m glad I can’t remember how much they were.

curiousorange
    Free Member

About €800 on my wheelset. DT 4.1 rims married to Tune hubs.
    And £470 with my 10% discount when they had the supernova X7 lights on sale at Wiggle.

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most obscene amount you have spent on a component?’ is closed to new replies.