Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Whats the most obscene amount you have spent on a component?
  • kiwijohn

$800 for my L&M Arcs. Worth every cent.

Gary_M
    Free Member

£550 on a set of wheel that just arrived this morning for my road bike. I don’t think that’s that bad though, am I very wrong.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The one that really freaked out my mates, was the set of Easton Monkeylite SL h/bars. They retailed at £125 at the time, although I got them for about £72 trade. Even that was mad enough for them.

‘You’ve spent over £70 quid on a bit of bent pipe?’

njee20
    Free Member

Gary: £550 is positively reserved for road wheels!

I sold my Aeolus wheels for £1050 after a year of use!

witty.name
    Free Member

£2500 on a ti ss frame
    £200 moots stem

witty.name
    Free Member

Then theres £200 ti chris king headset
    £90 boone chainring
    Chris king singlespeed wheels
    black sheep ti handlebars.And thats just one of me bikes

bland

We have just got these in, possibly the most expensive Flat Pedals ever but so cool, wood effect on a bike, now there is a new one
    Yours for £245!

Drool

Offroading
    Free Member

Hmm £800 on some cranks, £2k for a frame only, £200 for some rotors, £100 on two tyres the list goes on a long way to be honest.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Rivendell Grip King pedals. $50, plus $50 shipping, plus duty, plus Parcel Force customs handling fees.

All in, at the going exchange rate,that worked out at about £85 for a pair of hybrid pedals. 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

$800 for my L&M Arcs. Worth every cent.

At the time! The Seca’s are better, I’ve got both.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

200 and something quid on Hope 4 LED light. I had serious reservations about spending so much on a light,but spending so much has encouraged me to miss no Tuesday night rides this winter. Good lights,dead reliable and no faffing……and I’ve never been so fit at this time of year……..

njee20
    Free Member

CK ti headset probably gets it for me as the most obscene purchase, although it’s not the most expensive.

It performs exactly the same duty as the standard one, but costs double, and weighs more.

Totally pointless bling, which is what this thread should be about! I can’t think of any other product where there are actually performance disadvantages to buying the more expensive variant, and absoultely no benefits!

sq225917
    Free Member

Lightweight Obermayer?

njee20
    Free Member

I saw a chap using some of those a few months back, I said ‘they’re a bit good for this time of year aren’t they?’ (it was pissing with rain). He said ‘Nah, these are my winter set, I’ve got 2 summer sets too’.

I hate some people!

doof_doof
    Free Member

My most indulgent purchase would be Extralite eBones-W crankset. ~400euro as I recall.

njee20
    Free Member

How are they? They always looked quite tempting.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Some great examples on this thread, I think the Ti CK headset may be a contender, but TBH the 4 Ti peddles still seem to edge it, I mean 5x the price for a very small gain 🙂

My initial example was meant to show that the small things that no one notices can cost big money, the saddle above being an excellent example.
    Its like paying the extra £50 for a hope Ti cassette hub, no body is ever going to see it, only you know it’s there, but you still fork out the extra for a very minor gain.

Keep em coming

aracer
    Free Member

Well if that’s the sort of thing you’re after, then my gold spoke nipples. Not a lot of money (can’t remember exactly how much), but no gain at all. Given the equation cost/gain that means I win with infinity!

Otherwise, the most obvious thing I can think of are my Tune hubs – gold to go with the nipples of course 😉

saladdodger
    Free Member

Back in 1995 I paid £750 for my S/works steel f/f

Still riding it today though so it was not realy money wasted

MTT
    Free Member

£2800 – Frame
    £1600 – Pair of Wheels
    £900 – Rear Hub

Obermayer’s are notoriously unreliable, apparently the tune hubs pop without too much effort. I think LW are a little outdated now, new LEW rims on 45/140’s with CXray’s – 750g a pair 8)

FoxyChick
    Free Member

My IF frame.
    NEVER talk bikes with my non-bikey friends!!!
    A woman at work was going beserk cos she’d spent £350 on a MTB for her son from Halfords.
    I didn’t say a word!! 😉

mrmojo
    Free Member

£1600 on a frame and dripped it in XTR, Thomsom stem and Easton bars and seat post .. came to best part of 4k worth every penny IMO.
    I never speak to non bike friends about the prices I pay they just dont get it …

djglover
    Free Member

Full RRP on an XT chainset. It was all the hub at Glentress had in and I’d threaded my other ones.

Was gutted as I swiped my credit card for £135 knowing I could have had it for £70 or £80 on CRC 😡

Saccades
    Free Member

£589 on a set of RC41F, worked out to almost a 1000yoyo.

Which was a tad embaressing as the 2nd trip out with them someone was having a go at people spending that much on forks (it was a treat to myself after working an extra 360 hours of OT that year).

parisroubaix

Given the state of the pound it will soon be a new Shimano chain!

Retrodirect
    Free Member

£75 for a set of thumbshifters

sharki
    Free Member

My last pennies in the world for a set of pads….hell yeah!

kiwijohn

At the time! The Seca’s are better, I’ve got both.

2 years ago, these were the best lights I could get here. Secas cost $1000 now. Haven’t compared them side by side, but my Arcs will last me a while yet.

sq225917
    Free Member

If you were asking about the lightweight wheels, they are superb, but absolutely no f-ing use as anything other than race wheels, I sold mine on after less than a month, they would have lasted six months with the grit the Peak puts into your brake blocks.

aracer
    Free Member

If you were asking about the lightweight wheels, they are superb, but absolutely no f-ing use as anything other than race wheels

Probably depends where you live and what riding you do – I’m sure they would be fine for summer general riding wheels here. Surely nobody has a pair as their only set of wheels?

njee20
    Free Member

Like I said, chap I met was using Lightweights on his winter bike, I later rode with him actually, and he said they were 10 years old. Obviously not doing too badly…

The 4ti Egg Beaters are lighter than anything else though, the CK Ti headset is actually heavier than the standard one, and has the same bearings. Totally pointless except as a show piece!

drewster007
    Free Member

When i was a nipper i spent all my paper round money on a Caloi Team Issue frame, Rock shox Mag 21 ti SLs amd a Tioga Disc Drive, With a full XTR group set.

This was 15 years ago when XTR was rare as ****!

I think all in all i spent over £3000.00 all my saving and every penny i had for about a year!

3 months later it was stolen and i found a load of the bits in the cash converters in Bedford!! ****

samuri
    Free Member

220 quid on my front light. It’s obscene but it is one fantatsic light. Never spent anywhere near that on any other single component.

fu_manchu
    Free Member

2400 for a frame and 2500 for a set of power cranks, the true extent of that was never known to my ex….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thread resurrection time, I enjoyed this one 😉

Tracey

£549 for my Lyriks, did save £400 though, and they are so plush and I am worth it.

Tracey

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

£330 brew bmx race frame
    pikes £450 ish
    £250 on second hand crossmax’s
    £120 on e13 drs took some understanding at work
    180mm profile cranks for bmx £140 ish
    Lupine lights £250 (no one ‘gets’ this one)

Just realised my light cost £100 more than my frame.

hazeii
    Free Member

Most obscenely expensive component: my body.

Quite scary to think how many K I’ve spent on it, in smokes (given up), booze (giving up), and kebabs (mmm…).

leeph
    Free Member

Went to the LBS on Monday for a X.0 Rear mech for my DH Bike. Came out £4400 ligher and a new Orange 224 World Cup turned up two days ago.

Anyone wanna buy a 223? See my ad!!

adt
    Free Member

£900 on a rear Zipp disc ,but I have had that back in prize money so there you go

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most obscene amount you have spent on a component?’ is closed to new replies.