Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • What's the full suspension equivalent of a 456?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a full susser as after 2 x 4 hour rides at the weekend on the 456 my backside is still not right and its now Thursday!

Haven't got much to spend (so we're talking the equivalent of the steel 456 not the Ti one….) but was wondering, those of you who ride full suspension bikes and hardtails, do you find a 4" full susser is more like a 5" hardtail becasue its faster, or should I use the fact that it's faster as justification for getting a burlier 6" bike? But then the weight/burliness makes it less than ideal for the 4 hour rides, which means its self defeating!

I know an XC bike would be fine for 95% of my riding, and probably cover the same tracks quicker, but its the 5% that the 456 does so well and makes it fun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh, and this will probably be a 'summer' bike, I'll keep the 456 frame as a winter singlespeed and swap the bits off the potential pitch onto the 456 for the winter and save the shock/pivots.

Edit: budget ~£1100 (2009 pitch pro)

Double edit: Opperation MTFU is an ongoing project, but as of right now I'm struggling to hold myself up off the saddle on singletrack after 4 hours even if the legs are willing to pedals still!

wwaswas

I'd try a Ti post (I use a van nic which is great although the seatclamp is a bit of a bugger to get seat rails into). It's like letting 5psi out of your tyres.

I think on a 4 hour ride anythign that's as 'burly' and has siumilar angles to a 456 is going to weigh so much you'll regret it. I have a 100mm FS bike I use as an alternative to my 456 and it's great but very different. Of the two I'd keep the 456, I think as it's more versatile and fun.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Most 4" travel bikes are a bit to race focused, with a couple of notable exceptions (Commencal Super 4, and Orange ST4). Most 6" travel bikes are overkill for a lot of UK riding, but that's a massive can of worms.

So, i'd suggest a good quality, slack-ish 5" travel bike, probably. Something like a Mythic Spitfire, Chumba VF2, Yeti ASR 5 (I have one), maybe even a Orange 5, or Lappy Zesty? There's a huge array to choose from, new or used.

wors

How about one of those superlights on the home page but with 130 forks?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'd like a new bike, not had one since I was 16/17 and miss the feeling (and reasurance from a warrenty!).

Considdered a 5" bike but noting in my price range floats my boat, the lapierre 214 gets closest but has a QR fork, if it had a bolt through I'd probably consider it.

wwaswas

I'd like a new bike

ah, well, you should have said – just thought you were after a bit of comfort 🙂

Rather than looking at soemthign that replicates the 456 why not keep the 456 for winter + the 5% of things it does the way you like and get the FS for the rest of the time?

Giant Anthem would be a great long distance summer bike, for example.

tomhughes46

Dare I say Orange 5? Although not price wise…

Used Orange 5?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Hmmmm, I'd not write off an entire bike on the basis of the front axle. If that's really the only stalling point, talk to your shop about getting the fork (or possibly even just the lowers) and front wheel swapped at point of purchase.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Superlight wouldn't cut it, I'm 86kg on a good day (90kg on a bad!) and would be using this as a skill compensator on stuff I'd baulk at on the 456!

Heckler is tempting, but there we're upto pitch weights at almost pitch full bike prices!

thepodge
    Free Member

Giant Trance x or Anthem x

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ridden an anthem-x, loved it but a bit to racey, It's the kind of bike that would do the 95% bit but I'd never want to take it over the dirt jumps.

Not tried the trance-x

Have ridden the reign-x, now if that was 30lb not 40lb it'd be perfect

the_lecht_rocks

my helius am.

can be modified to run anything from 173mm to 120mm………….

beautiful bike to ride hard and to ponder over………… 🙂

Mike
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Blur 4x

igm

For the money, Five frame and swap the parts over summer and winter? If Orange have any close outs on the old frame most of the holes are the same size as the 456 (seat tube external is the exception).

Del

singlespeed your 456 now and your arse will be the least of your worries. it'll also fix your inability to remain standing, and save you a few quid to boot.
    happy to help. 😀

Saccades
    Free Member

i have an alfined 456 for winter/slop and a 2nd hand merida lrs transmission for summer. lrs cost 500 to build with bits from ebay (rc40 xcam, hone, bb7's etc) and it's great. 2 cheap bikes that are a joy to ride.

backhander
    Free Member

Can't beat a pitch for the money IMO.
    Maybe see if you could get your mitts on one of these; http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=1780
    or
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=1794
    Saying that, £1100 will get you a lot of bike if you buy 2nd hand.

molgrips
    Free Member

Orange 5, but at the that price range you'll just need to get what you can I reckon. You don't have a ton of choice do you?

+1 for 5 frame and bit-swapping. I can't imagine you'd ever want to ride a 456 again though if you had a 5 🙂

Naranjada
    Free Member

I have a Feb 2010 Pitch Pro in large FS in the Classifieds section on here that's within your budget.

Great, comfy!, do-it-all bike.

Pitch Pro

chakaping
    Free Member

Talk to a couple of Lapierre dealers about the fork on the 214, I had offers to swap the fork FOC when I was shopping and they are being discounted at present.

Might need your own front wheel though.

tk46hal
    Free Member

I gave up a Cannondale full sus for a 456 and would never go back! Change your tyres to 2.20 and run them with 40 to 45lb of pressure. This will give you some soft travel at the back, and oh! a good set of forks with 140mm of travel at the front. Don't forget a good pair of cycle shorts.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

lol at 40-45psi giving suspension!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A heckler surely? Especially at the new prices. – It'll leave you some wedge for spangly bling.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Not tried the trance-x

Have ridden the reign-x, now if that was 30lb not 40lb it'd be perfect

Well there you go then, you've just described the Trance X

DeeJay
    Free Member

Cotic Hemlock – small rockers and you get 4 and bit inches of rear travel – big rockers and your on 6 inches – takes a 140 fork but will happily take a 160 😀

P20

I've just built a 456 to be the hardtail equivalent of my Yeti 575. Both 140mm front and built lightish for xc/trail use. Only ridden it once so far, but impressed.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just get some bigger Tyres, it ain't gonna give you rear travel but I've got some large 2.4 fast rolling vredestein killer bees and they are large enough to run at lower pressures and really do make things much more comfortable.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I have a 456 like you, but agree with the several suggestions for an Anthem X. Put longer forks on it (as I have) and it's a blast. I had a Superlight before it but weighing the same as you, find the Anthem to be stiffer.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Cove Hustler is a little bit heavier but pretty capable with 6" of fork on the front.

5lab

try running a 2.5" tyre at 20-25 psi and see how you get on

45? jesus.

theotherjonv

Trance-X or FuelEx

DT78
    Free Member

How about not falling off the 456 as much 🙂

I would agree with the chaps about not getting a 'similar' bike but one more suited to a different type of riding otherwise you'll find you will end up riding the one that is your favourite all the time.

I've been tempted by an anthem for quite a while now.

Woody
    Free Member

Save yourself a shedload of money and buy a Thudbuster. After a few miles you forget it's even there. There is a small weight penalty compared to a normal seatpost but still way less than going full sus. Fantastic piece of kit.

It's not a shiny new bike though, is it ? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

But in answer to the original question: The Orange 5 is surely the FS equivalent of a 456, eh?

nickc

Heckler.

Unbeatable value, solid, reliable, do anything.

ampthill

Boardman FS?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Five removes the need for a "Winter Bike" too.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Um, about the thudbuster…

1.3lbs by my calcs for a thudbuster. Assuming a large or XL 456 is getting on for 6lbs (my 16" is about 5.6lbs) then you're talking 7.3lbs – a Five frame, shock and regular seatpost, along with many other 140mm FS frames is lighter than that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘What's the full suspension equivalent of a 456?’ is closed to new replies.