Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)
  • Whats the fastest you have been on your bike?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

49.7mph Coming down Cefn Bryn on Gower. Tailwind on my MTB.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I dont know for sure, I’ve only recently got a speedometer. I’d say going down kirkstone pass on my road bike.

seosamh77
    Free Member

42mph on the road, i’ll rarely top 30-35mph off road even on fireroads, tbh i’ve not got the balls to go much faster, i’m much slower on single track obviously.

finbar
    Free Member

55 mph and change coming down Slack Hill towards Chesterfield on my road bike. It was scary.

soobalias
    Free Member

nine and a half inches.

the-muffin-man

55mph down Cromford Hill in Derbyshire.

xiphon
    Free Member

Scary fast, on a 45lb DH bike, down kirkstone pass. Thank kcuf for hydraulic disk brakes to stop.

cynic-al
    Free Member

48 in a 30 😎

Must have gone faster on Alpine descents tho.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

45mph ish on the solo,55+ on the tandem

ojom
    Free Member

The speedo broke.

TJ needs to re-calibrate his wheel size.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve noticed on the rough stuff I regularly hit a peak speed around 22mph but when it’s smoother I reach the low 30s. Done a bit over 40mph on-road and it felt very slow in comparison! That’s on a 100mm HT using GPS speedo.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

55?? sounds like brown trousers time…

dufresneorama
    Free Member

a pure million miles an hour man

mafiafish
    Free Member

Overtook some one doing 48.5 coming down from Hartside pass on a MTB doing the coast to coast a few years ago. That felt fast on a stable bouncy bike so I don’t know what 60 on some taught road bike must feel like!

DaRC_L

52 on road in the UK, 55-ish on alpine descents

trickydisco
    Free Member

45mph – on a completely flat road*

*Drafting a big truck on a main road in Spain.. yes dangerous

scuttler

50.0mph down Wessenden Head Road near Meltham (mind the cattle grid) on a mountain bike with a massive tailwind.

Dibbs
    Free Member

After most rides on the Quantocks I hit between 45 and 50 mph going down Cothelstone Hill, I’ve been doing it for so many years I take it for granted. It’s one of the reasons I couldn’t do without a 44 tooth outer ring.
    Fastest offroad, 39.8 mph Triscombe Combe.

zaskarrider
    Free Member

only 47mph for me going down terrington bank on the road bike, good thrill though 😆

LoCo
    Free Member

Mates speedo had a max speed of 57 mph on one big downhill in the alps and I had passed him on the fastest part quite a bit quicker, so not sure but was still buzzing several hours later, I’m guessing 65 70 ish,
    I was properly ‘aero tucked’ so thinks it’s possible.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

48.9mph out the bottom of the French National DH track into Linderettes.

We tried, and tried to break the 50mph barrier, but to no avail. It was pretty scary though looking back.

ourmaninthenorth

Caveat: all measured on a bike speedo, so likely to be inaccurate.

63mph. Holme Moss to Woodhead.

I’ve also recorded 61mph in the Pyrennees and regularly record high 40s and low 50s on UK descents.

All on a road bike. Becoming a parent has slowed me down a lot.

Jammy111
    Free Member

fastest on an mtb will be that road coming off walna scar back into consiton. that is a massive brown trousers moment when you think what would happen if the brakes were to stop working.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

scuttler – Member
    50.0mph down Wessenden Head Road near Meltham (mind the cattle grid) on a mountain bike with a massive tailwind.

That’s just over a mile from where I live. Fastest I think I’ve done down there is about 45mph on a P7. The cattle grid (on a blind bend) really puts a spanner in the works. Get down to about 30 for that and then speed up again into Meltham – that’s where I’ve made the most speed. Bloody scary doing it from the top when there are crosswinds. You get to a certain speed and you just feel that there is no grip on the road, light as a feather, brakes time 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

TBC – you and I need to do that hill together so you can see its possible – done it many times.

sandwicheater

55mph on a tandem. Would haave gone faster if not for a silly car in the way.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got 56mph whist doing a cadence of 137 down the road from Pricetown to Mortemhampstead last Sat 🙂

IdleJon

turtleheading – Member
    49.7mph Coming down Cefn Bryn on Gower. Tailwind on my MTB.

I don’t believe you at all, I’m afraid. If you had a tailwind, you were likely to be going down the north side, and it’s simply not long enough and certainly not steep enough to hit 50mph on a MTB* – maybe just possible on a road bike. If you were on the south side, it’s steeper but much shorter, so even less chance there. Btw, I’m assuming you are talking about the road off the Bryn – if you were off road then you really need to get a new computer.

The only roads locally where I’d regularly get that sort of speed are north of Swansea, with much longer descents.

* we are talking about 500m in distance before a sharpish left and then another 500m before the road begins to level out, with a total drop to that point of 60m.

lowey

I overtook this guy off road coming off Drum Mountain.

I am not ashamed to say that a sh1t myself when I touched the brakes.

DSC02206 by lowey.com, on Flickr

Pauly

About 55mph in the Alps on the DH bike a few years back – verified by GPS

43.8mph on a 20″ wheel folding bike during London to Brighton last year; again verified by GPS.

Surprisingly stable, although I think the 5 pints helped…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Fastest on a road bike was about 44 in a 30 the I went round the corner and nearly into the back of a stationary car.

On a MTB it was about 10 years ago in Cannock Chase I overtook my mate and his speedo was reading about 35. I was really pushing it tho which was silly because it was really rutted.

Pook

52mph coming down the Mam Tor old road into Castleton. I thought my speedo was broken but I’d overtaken a car and he stopped by me in the village to tell me I’d gone past him and he was doing 44mph.

I was bobbing myself. Terrifying.

finbar
    Free Member

55mph down Cromford Hill in Derbyshire.

Nice… whenever i ride down there i get stuck behind a sodding lorry. Some of the corners must be interesting at that sort of speed. It’s a 30 limit too 😀 .

FuzzyWuzzy

My bike speedo claimed I hit 62mph going down Black Rock (nr. Abergavenny) on my old low pro TT bike. It’s not something I’d care to do again.

Stainypants

about 55 on my road bike in the Pyranees with crap brakes was really hairy. My other half was doing about 60 on her Dr Dew. I was too scared to try and keep up with her.

somegeezer
    Free Member

52 on a touring bike on Arran (52 year old bike at the time) 54 on Lanzarote with a strong tailwind. I don’t trust GPS speedos as a bike is really too slow for them. The above recorded with a hard wired Cateye. And for those who have said how scary it must be on a road bike, I love the buzz of doing 50 down hill. It really focusses the mind, falling off is not an option.

julianwilson
    Free Member

This thread is useless without the Zoofighter. I believe he legitimately pwned us all last time this came up.

2tyred

57.2 mph descending the Cormet de Roselend towards Bourg St Maurice, proper aero tucked with the wind at my back.

matt_outandabout

52 on a touring bike on Arran

Ahhhh, the string road i Bet. I dunno my speed on it, but bloomin, brown trouser fast! Done a few times with 60lt rucsack and ice axes on for added ‘penalty for failure’.

Dunno any speed other than ‘whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooop!’ and ‘whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!’

Kevevs
    Free Member

51mph on roadbike with a big tailwind down a hill. Thought my bike was gonna rattle apart! I’ve tried several times down the same hill since and can never get past 42-43mph.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Whats the fastest you have been on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.