Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 202 total)
  • Whats the fastest you have been on your bike?
  • cragrat73
    Free Member

47.9 mph on the turbo trainer the other night. man i freaked out. 😯

cragrat73
    Free Member

🙂

Davesport

Over 50 on my recumbent. Feels like flying a fighter jet with your ar$e only a foot of the ground. Bends are interesting at this speed as you feel yourself being compressed down into the seat. I ran out of bottle the last time & won’t be doing this again 😆

IdleJon

racing_ralph – Member
    Some SERIOUS bullshit on this thread

Aren’t you aware that this is the ‘Olympian and Record Breaker’ section of the forum?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

48.6mph coming down Billinge Hill on my road bike, wacking my load. 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

i got upto 60ishkph on my road bike – i could have gone faster, but i was terrified.

at that speed i’m just aiming at the blurry grey bit inbetween the 2 blurry green bits.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

59.5mph in mid-Wales on my roadbike (Litespeed Sirius, now sadly deceased 🙁 ) during a Sportive. When I checked my speed and saw that I was GUTTED that I didn’t get 60mph.

Was expecting a new top speed in the Alps when I rode La Marmotte, but there was a head wind coming up the descent off the Galibier so I didn’t even hit 50mph.

Not sure of fastest speed as normally more interested in where I’m going at speed. In FOD there is a rough fire road decent by the side or FODCA trail that leads to old bridge which is muddy and has 4 inch plus potholes on it and glanced I was hitting 40k plus before I hit it. Must have been quite fast as the people pushing up it scattered when they saw me! LOL
    Road bike its about 40mph but the decent has a sharp 90 corner at the bottom or sure I would hit 50 but have only manged to have the guts to get round it at 32 so far.

Surfr
    Free Member

Not much in the way of evidence in this thread. I regularly hit 45 MPH on the road bike but I can’t seem to get much faster.

This was last sundays club run on my cyclocross bike with slicks.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/62650299

Hope to hit a recorded 50MPH this season and I’m sure it will come with time. There was a great descent on the Tour of Pembrokeshire last season which would have been perfect. Too many bends or poor quality surfaces on the descents around Mid Wales to really hit those speeds though.

Regarding confidence on 700c 23mm tyres. I felt the same originally but you soon grow to trust the road bike and the drops. There’s probably more rubber in contact with the road on a 700c road tyre than there is on a 26″ 2.2 MTB tyre.

Anyway lets see those GPS logs for these silly speeds 🙂

drain

44mph on a road downhill at about 03:30am, en route to Dover doing London-Paris in 24hrs. Only realised at a stop that the ‘max’ reading had that. Good job it was dark or I’d have cacked myself if I’d known I was going that fast! 37mph off-road on a long straight track on the Marlborough Downs – nice dust plume 😀

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

This is SO going to come across as willy-waving, but surprised at the number of people struggling to hit 50mph* (unless they live in Norfolk…).

Find a steep, longish hill with no side roads or steep bends, tuck in (chin on stem, elbows in) and just let it roll. I don’t weigh a lot (<11 stone) but can hit 50mph pretty easily.

*bike computer speed, so probably a couple of mph overstated.

jackspratt
    Free Member

58 mph on a road bike coming down the elan valley felt a lot quicker at the time and that was measured on my garmin.

convert

My polar download had me breaking the 100kph mark in an ironman in Switzerland. I was slightly dubious but all 3 laps recorded at similar speeds. This was in a skinny little trisuit and I was very aware of my vulnerability! At that race I was using a road bike with proper drop bars as well as aerobars – there is no way I would have been happy at that speed on aerobars!

That said this was on a closed road course with the most amazingly smooth tarmac and the descent was about 2miles long with only the gentlest of curved corners. Simply no way I’d be happy at those sort of speeds in Britain.

The fastest I have ever FELT on a bike was coming down the Trudos Mountain in Cyprus. The top section drops 1000m over 10km of twisty quality tarmac. A bike seems to be able to hold its speed better than its 4 wheeled brethren and I overtook 4 cars and 3 coaches – in the odd glance I was prepared to make in their direction I got some funny looks! Not sure I have still got the same amount of bottle!

hopster
    Free Member

57mph off the top of Dundry hill just south of Bristol. Kept wondering what would happen if something broke on my my bike.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

58mph coming down the east side of the String on Arran, and I wasn’t the fastest out of the group. Was absolutely keeching myself.

confuzzed
    Free Member

56.3 MPH off Caerphilly mountain (road), the day after waxing my legs for the first time.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

hopster – Member

57mph off the top of Dundry hill just south of Bristol. Kept wondering what would happen if something broke on my my bike.

hopster – that’s my local (road) downhill – think my best down there is 55mph

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I’ve only recently got a cycle computer and my max is only 24.9mph (down some singletrack in Swinley)

Seemed pretty quick at the time (watery eye etc…) I wonder if my speedo is setup properly or if I need to MTFU as can’t image what it’d be like doing double that speed on a bike…

convert

Seemed pretty quick at the time (watery eye etc…) I wonder if my speedo is setup properly or if I need to MTFU as can’t image what it’d be like doing double that speed on a bike…

There is a big different is percieved speed between on and off road – 24-25mph can feel damn fast off road!

chiefgrooveguru

There is a big different is percieved speed between on and off road – 24-25mph can feel damn fast off road!

40mph on-road on my HT feels comfy. 35mph on-road on a Brompton feels pretty exciting! My usual quick spot on a ride is coming out of the woods and down a fairly short grassy slope before hauling on the brakes to stop before hitting the gate – I don’t think it’s long enough for the GPS to measure the true peak speed but it normally shows 30mph. The last time I did it I had both the front and rear tyres locking up (despite my best efforts at modulation) when braking and I almost hit the fence.

20+mph on the rough rocky stuff feels fast to me on a HT!

In “It’s not about the bike” Lance Armstrong frequently refers to 70mph descents in the mountains. Rather him than me…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Wunundred! 😀

midlifecrashes

Not me, it’s an ad for the rack! Only 45mph on the road here.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

86.6kmh logged by GPS on a road between sections in the peaks. I was glad a mate was 20yrds ahead – just in case a car pulled out on us 🙂

james
    Free Member

“that is a massive brown trousers moment when you think what would happen if the brakes were to stop working.”
    Its more of a brown trousers moment when your brakes do actually go. Pulling on the brakes, slowing down a touch only to speed back up again isn’t fun, neither was dodging the walkers, speeding across the crossroads or just making the corner afterward. Luckily the brakes were still biting a bit, enough to slow enough to ditch once it flattens a bit after the corner
    Rotors were completely black afterward
    Since then I don’t drag my poorly bled small rotored brakes all the down a road doing 30mph+

Had a similar but not as bad incident coming into nenthead on the C2C on some really badly bled brakes of mine, on smaller rotors, didn’t have the out of control thing quite going on though

Back on topic, 49mph on an MTB (crossmarks pumped up to probably 60-65psi) on the road down a dual carriageway, but of an aerotuc and some spinny pedalling going on

saladdodger
    Free Member

Andy – Member
    Barbury Castle, south of Swindon. Regularly used to ride up there in the morning before work, on my 1979 Holdsworth Special. Sit on the old hill fort and smoke a fag and then come back down the road at 60 – 65mph.

Ok I hit a recorded 55 down there according to my old cateye computer the run back home to Wroughton was alot quicker than the ride up to Barbury

But on my old Litespeed road bike 64 down Snap Hill very forking scary

Andy

Aye Andy mine was on recorded on an old Cateye. I think the max speed was 67mph but the computer must have been over reading. All back in the day eh (20 years ago now!) ? There is no way I’d crank down there as aggressively now.

stucol
    Free Member

On my Claud Butler Majestic touring bike i did once hit 49.9 on the Crow Road above Lennoxtown with a tailwind. Front end was shimmying all over the shop ( me no likee).

Oh and did have a front end blow out on the Fintry side at 40mph plus another time. Still astounded at my skill/blind luck in not stacking it ( must be the fastest i have ever gone round a corner on a grass verge). Probably the most scared i have felt on a bike.

I do like the Crow for the ability to overtake cars. Always give a polite wave of course !

Pieface

I reckon anything over 40mph off-road is exceptional. 50 on road, on a road bike is quite difficult to attain IMO.

speckledbob
    Free Member

I’m ashamed to say i did 70mph hanging onto the side of a friends car on the Rainford bypass in the mid 80’s. I couldn’t really see but it felt fast and i’m glad I didn’t fall off.

Tiger6791

15.9mph!!!!!!!!!

Rad to the power of sick man!!!!

bassspine
    Free Member

135mph. BMW R1200RS and still accelerating when I realised. Only a test ride…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

If we’re including motorbikes 172mph on the speedo (2008 ZX6R), probably about 165mph actual. Should have been scary, wasn’t. Modern sportsbikes are unbelievably good.

It’s why I’ve changed to a naked (Aprilia Tuono) – lots of fun but mainly at >120mph speeds due to the windblast.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

ermmmmmmm, that should read <120mph…. :-/

Ambrose

I’m seldom fast. However I did have a go on the road descent from Linderets (Goat Village) to Ardent/ Lac Montriond as I know the road relatively well. The mahoosive skid mark at the top is mine, when some over-tentative driver slammed on the brakes and pulled out into the middle of the road at the same time. I really thought I was going to be turned into burger meat, a proper brown trousers moment.

There are a couple of hairpins lower down that you can cut off for some cheeky over/undertaking manoeuvres. Which is nice 🙂

Gary_C

Once coming down Wrynose Pass on the mtb towards Ambleside, just let go of the brakes, didn’t even cover the levers….proper ‘death grip’.

Scrolled through the computer at the bottom, max speed 56mph…

I remember being a bit disappointed that I hadn’t reached 60.

Suggsey
    Free Member

On Dragon Ride 2008 attained (very briefly as I couldnt see despite having glasses on) and nearly cacking my pants 71mph on an accurately set up Polar C220 and had brake blocks melting and only just made the bend at the bottom of the mountain road.
    Mam Tor on the full suss MTB at around 50mph overtook car and glanced in at his speedo.
    Whilst doing LeJog in 2009 on the road bike drop down into Dunster 55mph followed by a decent up near warrigton way at 51mph, Berrydale descent in wicked side wind 51mph and Helmdale 55mph till I was shoved into the centre of the road by a gust of side wind.
    I have found that due to my weight (17 and a half stone) that gravity has a really helpful effect on my descending maximum speed after the Dragon Ride maximum I found that I lost the bottle for going above 55mph.
    Only other scary speed was doing a charity ride that took in Cat and Fiddle and it was horizontal rain up at the feed station at the pub so I just wanted to get down as fast as possible-45mph in the pouring rain on skinny treadless road tyres was way too slippy and made me slow down on the rest of the wet descents. I think the only reason I stayed upright was through mud riding on the MTB and not panicking when it started slipping sideways and waggling when aquaplaining.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Down the hill towards Hillsborough from the University roundabout. If I got a good run down onto the roundabout, bit of a slipstream and overtook, a couple of times the speedo read 40+mph but overtaking cars on a dual carriage way was the fun bit 🙂 I really used to trust my Claud Butler Urban 300 back then…

Not even approached that off road, GPS has given short sections that have sustained 25-30 mph speeds so probably fairly accurate with the usual spikes of 30-40 mph that I think we can safely ignore, under the trees, in a valley etc.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Did 52mph coming down Otley Chevin on my MTB. The stupidity luckily didn’t hit until after I got to the bottom.

anto164
    Free Member

46mph on the roady. Was drafting a car down a hill where the speed limit was 40. Was catching them up too.

Was from my bike computer, but i think it’s fairly accurate as i rode with a friend whos GPS was reading the same speed as my bike comp.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ive had mid 40s offroad in the alps on the open landrover tracks, and 56 on road on a rigid MTB with slicks, spinning my heart out, both on “calibrated” speedos (GPS on the alpine one, normal bike speedo on the road one checked against a car speedo to about 40 so possibly 10% out I suppose!)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 202 total)

The topic ‘Whats the fastest you have been on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.