Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What’s the best way to approach a horse?
  • Beagleboy

So there I was last night, tootling along a wee back road as I headed towards Plean park for a quick lap or two with my mate Bazz when I spied a lady on horseback ahead of me. Now, having chatted with horsey folk before I know that some horses, particularly young un’s, can be a bit frightened of bikes so as I approached I gave a cheery “Hello” and called out that I was approaching on the left. All this was done from about 30m or so behind the horse and rider……..oh dear 😳

‘Merlin’ (I think that was his name), freaked out. No matter how hard the rider coaxed him, the horse just wasn’t turning his back on me, even when I dismounted and retreated up the road another 20m or so. Also, by this point, the usually deserted road had suddenly turned into the busiest thoroughfare in Stirlingshire with long lines of cars backing up in both directions! 🙄

Luckily, one of the car drivers owned the stables from whence Merlin had just come, so she jumped out and jogged over to the horse and gave him a good talking too, eventually managing to lead him to a layby where he could calm down as everyone went on their way, but it’s just got me thinking now, how should you approach the situation?

I was genuinely worried for the horse and rider, as they were skittering about a road with deep drainage channels on each side, and it was obviously my presence that had turned a pleasant evening’s trot around the local farm roads into some sort of rodeo. 🙁 What’s the secret to bike / horse harmony?

B.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There isn’t one in my experience – I think you did the right thing.

Bikes seem to upset horses, bells even more so – so a call from a distance away to alert the rider is about as good as you can do. Be prepared to stop and / or dive into the bushes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve always been told that you keep taking while approaching. What else can you do?

Sounds like the rider was not in control and should have gone to the glue factory.

z1ppy

You did the best option available, identifying youself as a “human” to the horse, is the recommended course of action (as recommend by my g/f, a horse rider).
    Horse have personnalities, some are just big scaredy cats, or it may have been frightened earlier in the ride and you paid for it… nowt you can do about that – and there first response is flight, not the best instinct on todays busy roads.

and before any trolls appear moaning abouts horse being on the roads, they were there first before your car or bike, so why do you think you should have prority over them?

smiffy

you did everything right; normally if they know you’re coming and you don’t suddenly appear in their threat space you will be fine.

dr_adams
    Free Member

i must admit horses are kinda scary and its useful to know not to use bells!

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Sounds like you did the right thing.
    Wife’s got a dobbin & that’s what she s told me to do. Father in law ex. Nat Hunt jockey & he alway advised just too keep moving slowly & keep talking calmly.

No 2 dobbins are the same, round here if there were no horses, no bridle paths & nowhere for me to ride me bike. We just need to get on.

You did the right thing IMO.

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I dont mind them being on the roads as I understand they were here first and living in a rural area I see how they are intergral to the culture etc.
    But I do not like seeing horses which only just seem to be under control, If the horse is easily spooked or does not like cars/bikes/dogs/people etc etc then it should not be taken out on public roads, end of.

MD
    Free Member

I agree, just being patient can help too. I got stuck behind a horse on one of our trails and it freaked out. Luckily the rider was able to turm it around and carry on out. Ruined my fav bit but no injuries. Which I would say is better in the long run!

It’s actually cars that scare me cos most drivers dont know how scary it is to sit a foot off your tail, they think they can stop quicker than a bike!

StonePantMan
    Free Member

Best way? With a can opener and an eager dog jumping up at your heels.

ART

As has been said, you did the right thing. Having spent many years traversing the countryside on said beasts I can also testify to their random responses. Depends on so many variables – no matter how well the rider knows horse/ is competent etc. Usually I find that the horse will clock you on a bike long before the rider, but I always do as you did and hail the rider to say where I am/ will be passing. Give warning, slow right down, wide bearth – tis the best you can do. Hedges have their uses too 😯

SiB
    Free Member

z1PPY, I hear what you’re saying, horses use the roads long before machine……..but roads are geared to cars (and bikes) unfortunately, not horses which is a shame. Dont get me wrong, I believe horses have just the same rights on the road as cars…… but if someone is ‘in control’ of a dog on a lead that has a blemish-free history which suddenly snaps at a passer by everyone is up in arms about it (as I would be, but if a horse goes out of control most people are up in arms over the reason (cyclist or motorist)why its bolted/scared. Animals cannot be 100% trusted and the bigger the animal is the more dangerous the results can be if they go out of control. I agree totally with ricochet rob – any signs no matter how small that a horse is easily spooked on the road then they shouldnt be on the road, no arguements, a hazard to all road users.

Many moons ago (30years) my mates mum died when an out of control horse (with rider) went through her windscreen after she had stopped in a narrow road well before reaching the horse to let it pass….she too was a horse rider so was (presumably) giving the approaching rider lots of space and time to pass.

spooky_b329

its best not to hide behind the nearest hedge or tree as then the horse just see’s you as something scary thats waiting to get it. stay visible, maybe put the bike down. some horses are just wimps, I know one that’ll piss about. He’ll stop at things he’s passed everyday for weeks, a builders skip is currently his favourite. Its good if the rider can bring the horse over and introduce it to your bike once they’ve calmed down, to try and get the horse used to them.

z1ppy

SIB there no good or easy response to your post, that a horrible/tragic story.
    I live in an area where horse are a predomient past time, and have experienced skittish horses and know to stay clear of a tonne of excited horse.

There are many drivers & riders out there who give no consideration (car driver living in the, I pay road tax, so I own the road mentality) causing untold problems as they zoom past.
    There are horse riders who won’t even acknowledge you after you stop to make it easy for them to proceed – let alone the horse having a bad day because of a crisp packet in the hedge.

So the solution? Better driver education? Better fairer policing. Open access to all “paths” to us and the horse riding community ( we could wish)…. I don’t know to be honest, but we should all stop with the “them and us” attitude.

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Could’nt agree more Z1ppy, like I said, no horses, no bridle paths, I’d be fecked!!!!!!!, nowhere to ride.
    Round here all horse riders say thanks, it’s mostly car drivers (mostly in 4×4) who don’t give s stuff

richc
    Free Member

personally I give them loads of room and let them know I am there (talking etc), and if they look a bit nervous and the are coming towards me I pull over and/or get off my bike.

If their ears go flat backwards against there skull then I give them tons of room and they want to leg it.

SiB
    Free Member

I agree witgh you z1ppy……we should try and stop the ‘them and us’ scenario cos at the end of the day we’re all out to enjoy the outdoors, its just the arrogant riders of both horses and bikes that spoil it for the ones trying to find the middle line. I live in West Wirral where it is said it has the highest number of horses per capita in England (dont know if its true but there do seem to be hundreds of them!)so I’ve got to be tolerable of horses!! Just got to be wary too!!

twohats
    Free Member

Ban them from the roads, horses that is.
    If you had a car that was highly strung, temperamental and had a mind of its own, spinning its wheels and darting off in all directions just because another car had spooked it by driving too near it, I’m sure there would be many people/organisations quick to have your not quite in control car off the road sharpish!
    And yes, I know horses were using the roads 1st, but modern day roads are no place for highly strung beasts of which the rider ultimately doesn’t have 100% control…

nicko74

um…. in a car. Or possibly with with a large net.
    The thing is… without wishing to sound like I’m trolling here, as someone who frankly is a bit wary of horses, if the horse can’t be kept reasonably under control when faced with normal everday outdoor things, arguably it shouldn’t be out in public.
    You wouldn’t be allowed out with a dog that wasn’t under control, you wouldn’t be allowed out with a kid that wasn’…. oh.
    Well, I reckon it’s half a good argument 🙂

bikerbaboon
    Free Member

Had some fun with 2 dogs off the leed that could not be recalled by the owner. I complemented him on his controll and wished him well once the dogs took intrest in lorries or a 3 year old. Still cant get why he did not take to kindly to it.

Horses are the same just bigger.

jim
    Free Member

if the horse can’t be kept reasonably under control when faced with normal everday outdoor things, arguably it shouldn’t be out in public.

I’d say much the same about a decent proportion of the general public.

enfht
    Free Member

What’s the best way to approach a horse?

“Excuse me being so bold but can I say you look absolutely stunning, could I buy you a drink? My names Bob btw”

(Or just disguise a couple of rohypnol to look like polos)

woody2000

jim – indeed 😕

Horses – best (well, only) piece of advice I had from a horsey type was just to announce yourself in plenty of time and pass wide & slow. Shame most of them never show me the same courtesy, but hey-ho 😡

z1ppy

jim – Member

if the horse can’t be kept reasonably under control when faced with normal everday outdoor things, arguably it shouldn’t be out in public.

I’d say much the same about a decent proportion of the general public.

That was going to be my come back about “most” car drivers, jim you beat me to it…

spooky_b329

Im surprised at the minority who think horses should be banned from the road because of the unpredictability of a few. If they were to ban horses, what is there to stop them banning us?! Afterall, most of todays roads are not designed with a cyclist in mind, and unfortunately there is a fair proportion of us that run red lights and terrorise pedestrians.

As far as I can see, those who think horses dont belong on the road tend to be impatient and annoyed that their journey will take a minute or two longer. They also dont give any respect to cyclists whilst behind the wheel. Shame I have to work with two people who share this opinion 🙁

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What’s the best way to approach a horse?’ is closed to new replies.