Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What's the best UST all mountain wheelset?
  • rnewell1973
    Free Member

What's the best UST all mountain wheel?  

I was thinking of Crossmax SX but the reviews are bad, what with crap rear hubs.  Looking for:

1: Light but bombproof and stiff
    2: 20mm bolt thru
    3: UST
    4: Runs 2.4 tyres

In the end I came back to Hope Pro2 with ZTR rims.  Any opinions?

Cheers

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Never had any issues with my 7yr Crossmax XL's. My Crossmax ST's have been running sweetly for the last couple of years.

RealMan
    Free Member

hope pro2, and stans rims most suiting your weight and riding.

stans 355 on pro2s for me, they're fantastic.

nickegg
    Free Member

Shimano XT?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Hope Pro2 with 819 rims

Northwind

Hope Hoops on Flows here. Went for unbelievably stupidly strong instead of light, but they're still not exactly heavy. Nice easy parts availability too if I ever do somehow manage to break them. I wouldn't say "Best", no doubt you could spend 3 times as much and get something just as strong but lighter, but they're very good and not too expensive.

I like my Traversees too but they're not as strong, and the straight pull spokes are a pain to get hold of- when I did manage to break one in fort william there wasn't a single straight pull spoke of any sort to be had in the town. And alloy nipples, pff. But still, very strong for their weight.

dickie
    Free Member

As above, had several sets of Crossmax XL which have been very good, have a set of Fulcrum Red Metal 3's which have been great too, but I think they are only available in 15mm or QR axle.

Nonsense
    Free Member

+1 PRO 2 on Flow rims. Bargain.

nuke

Hope Hoop with Flow have got the reputation for being bombproof but are the same weight at Mavic 719 rims. My Shimano XT hub with 719 rim weighs more than the Hope Hoop with Flow (997g on my digi scales).

Shame Hope Hoop with Flows are so hard to get hold of currently.

Jamie
    Free Member

nickegg:
    Shimano XT?

I agree with Nick 😉

*cough*

mildred

I had some of the sx's that got slated with no problems with the rear hub at all. The spokes do, however, go sloppy regularly.

I'm with James – 819's on hope pro2. I've got 2 pair and they seem stiffer and lighter than the sx's.

Northwind

But then 819s are heavier than Flows and not as strong- the Mavic claimed weights are completely dishonest because they "forgot" to include the ferrules.

br
    Free Member

While 819's are good, I wouldn't want to run 2.4's on them – too narrow really to run low pressures.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Crossmax xl here, about 5 years old, no reliability issues yet (touch wood).

giantjason
    Free Member

+1 for hope pro II with 819's and have run up to 2.5 tyres in the alps with pressures of 25psi with no problems.

i have gave mine lots of abuse and they are still great

freeform5spot
    Free Member

run 2.35" 2bliss on them at low pressures with no problems (and witn no sealant)

in the alps ran 2.5" Maxxis at VERY low pressures with no problems! but then again the 2bliss failed me in those mountains!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i have seen a few people mention Hope pro 2's on flows for just over £200 i can't find them anywhere near that?

Whinstanleys is £260 any idea's where the best deal is?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

and you can get them in normal 9mm quick release right?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

ignore that last question.

guitarhero
    Free Member

reviews are crap, not mavic freehubs. Get the Xmax SX. I've got two 3 year old pairs running sweet.

andrewh
    Free Member

Best? Tune Dorte and Prince X-12 on Stans ZTR355 with DT Aerolite and Ti nipples.

Might not be cheapest though.

flow
    Free Member

Winstanleys is the cheapest, prices have gone up.

glynP
    Free Member

I have two sets of mavic ST's I did have a slight issue with the rear hub on both sets in cold weather. I think the grease was too heavy, i stripped them and lubed with a lighter grease and since then I've had no problems, superb wheels and my mates SX's are even nicer

grumm
    Free Member

I've got Hope Pro II on Flows and on 819/719s – def prefer the Flows, especially if you like to use big tyres at low pressures. Both are good though – the Mavics survived the Mega pretty much unscathed, and I weigh about 16.5 stone.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Check out Fulcrum Red Zone All Mountain just bought a set feel top notch compared to my previous AM wheels pro2's on DT5.1's, they have a 20mm front and are incredibly stiff considering they are 24 spoked. Trek have a great deal on them about 15% less than everywhere else.

scruff
    Free Member

819s are really good rims and very strong and no faffy tape rubbish. Not sure if the narrowishness is a problem or not as Ive only got need for wide tyres on my DH bike.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

What's the best UST all mountain wheel?

i've got hope2's on flows, hope pro2's on wtb speeddiscs and previously owned pro 2's on 819's, also run crossmax st and sx, and flows on dt swiss 240's

the best of all these = flows on dt swiss 240's with super comp spokes

819 are heavy and not that wide
    mavic hubs and spokes are okay but their wheelsets are not worth the money imo
    flows = excellent rims
    and between hope pro 2's and dt swiss 240 for hubs; well the quality of the 240's is excellent, my next set of wheels will have these on them

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hope XC rear hub, bulb front hub, en321 rims

Why? Beacuse thats what I'll have once I get a stand to swap the XC front hub for the bulb.

🙂

neil853
    Free Member

I have a 240/SAINT on 819 and i've been really impressed by how strong and stiff the wheels are. Some of this may be down to the wheel builder (who is excellent apparently).

I run 2.4 tyres tubeless on mine and they have been fine, i'm not a small chap either. I would definately go for the 819's again, only downside is they are a little porky compared to the DT 5.1's i took off seemingly.

flow
    Free Member

Pro 2's on Flows

Pauly

Pro 2's in Mavic 819's for me too. Have 2 sets and they are bomb proof. Can run 2.35 High Rollers no probs.

messiah
    Free Member

The usual I have this and it is the best response… I have two pro2 rubbed wheels and I wish the freewheel was a bit free-er so my chain would dangle and slap less. My flow rims are ok but the front is a bit bent, not as strong as mavic I think. I had crossmax years ago and would never buy anything as limiting again… getting spares took months. I'd like to different hubs but hope have been great when I have had problems, and therefore they keep my business despite not being as good as I would like.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What's the best UST all mountain wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.