Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Whats the best 140mm fork these days
  • GEDA
    Free Member

Just wondering if a Pike was still up there or was there anything better. High and low speed compression and the like would be good. It is for a Dialled Bikes Alpine and 140mm seems spot on for the frame. I would say the main issue for the Pike would be lack of compression settings as they are maybe a bit to hard on the small stuff.

Marzocchi 44, Maugra Thor, ect?

KonaTC

if you frame has an 11/2″ head tube, Alpine specification doesnt say either way, then these are a bargin

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49298

Vortexracing

Pikes pushed would be great.

I have had 2 sets and although slightly heavy (compared to the new revs)the PUsh damping makes them a very compsoed fork on rocky stuff

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Coil 454 Pikes for the win.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for Pikes here. Can’t fault any of mine.

I’ve 454 Airs on an Enduro, plus the missus’s Rock Springs has a pair of 426 Airs and 409 coils on the stepson’s hardtail.

giantjason
    Free Member

i would stay clear of the Thors. I used Thors on an Alpine and were ok for general xc riding but when i went to the Alps they were always diving and using up most of the travel under braking. Had to play around with them and put so much air in them it gave no small bump movement.

Since then i have went to a DT Swiss fork and have nothing only praise for it. Been a great performer and reliable so far.

ferrit
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/marzocchi-44-rc3-ti-qr15-suspension-fork-2010/

Coil, light, 3 year no-service warranty.

Also perform better than my old coil pikes. Sweeet.

neninja
    Free Member

I really rate my 32 140 talas rlc’s – had 140 RL before and thought the talas would be less smooth but they actually seem plusher.

br
    Free Member

Thor’s for me, work fine but like all air-forks they take a load of setting/playing to find your ‘sweetspot’.

PJ266
    Free Member

Probably gotta be the 140mm BOS forks, havent ridden them myself mind.

SamB
    Free Member

Fox Float 36RC2s, lowered internally to 140mm. Running them on my Soul and they are great, much more controlled than the pikes they replaced.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m trying to resist splurging £750 on the Idylle at the moment, and reducing them to 140mm.

I could never get my Pikes feeling the way I wanted them to. Although they were pretty damn robust and reliable.

Lionheart
    Free Member

The 140mm Fox Vans in the house are stand out good compared to the others.

GEDA
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Tempted by the 44’s but there are so few reviews of them. Why are they better than Pikes. I always used Z1’s before Pikes, they were good but more basic on the way it responded to hits.

Highland28
    Free Member

The 140mm Fox Vans in the house are stand out good compared to the others.

+1 got to sets in the family, mine lowered to 130mm though, just as my bike is designed for them there 🙂 great forks though, very plush and hav not had a single prob with either!!

ianv
    Free Member

“Tempted by the 44’s but there are so few reviews of them”
    Dirt loved them

I would deffo go Marzocchi over Pikes

hora
    Free Member

Fox 36 internally adjusted down.

I’ve got a set of 36 Float R’s set to 140. Perfect.

nickc

i would stay clear of the Thors. Had to play around with them and put so much air in them it gave no small bump movement.

User failure.

Thors are fine, need fiddling with (in typically Germanic style) to get the best from them, but they’re still a recommendable fork; light, stiff, tunable, what’s not to like?

messiah
    Free Member

Pike’s are overratated even when Push’ed. I kept blowing mine and the performance was never quite right. Now running Fox 36 Float RC2 and they are a stunning fork… and actually lighter than the Pike.

hora
    Free Member

Aye, even for a luddite you can really feel the damping difference on the 36’s. The Pikes are just older technology.

GEDA
    Free Member

http://www.marzocchi.com/System/58587/SingleTrack-44%20RC3%20Titanium_4.jpg

Singletrack seemed to like them but will they be much different to the old pair of Z1 I have knocking around?

trickydisco
    Free Member

But then FOX 36’s don’t come in 140mm as standard?

FuzzyWuzzy

2011 QR15 32’s are working well for me

excalibur

I’m loving my 44’s. I don’t know how different they are to older Zocchi’s in feel. All I can say is that they fell light, stiff and controlled. So plush on small bump, always give confidence on bigger hits and rock gardens. Three year warranty. My experience so far is all positive. Hope that helps.

Simon

Those cheap 32 Floats at CRC, are they QR15?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No – they are normal QR. Hence the price!

36’s are too big a fork for the sort of riding I need them for, I think something Fox 32 with the QR15 lower would be more suitable, or maybe an RS Rev.

I don’t need a 5lb+ fork on the front of my little bike.

hora
    Free Member

But then FOX 36’s don’t come in 140mm as standard?

Literally takes minutes to effect the swap though- anyone can do it.

You end up with forks that can ride and be altered for anything…

then again buying talas will also offer this 😆 🙄

ferrit
    Free Member

As excalibur said – as plush as Bombers of old, but more controlled over fast hits where the old HSCV damping would be out of depth.

Dirt Magazine have been raving about the 44RC3 and 55 RC3. Singletrack review here:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listNews.asp?LN=UK&idC=1562&IDFolder=809&IDOggetto=58587

chakaping
    Free Member

No mention of the RS Revelation with the Maxle lite?

I’ve got the Team model which has fantastic damping and the U-turn facility lets me wind it down to 140mm for most of the riding I do on my Zesty.

Really stiff and only about 3.5lbs if memory serves.

I doubt there’s much better out there.

Waderider
    Free Member

Shocker, a thread suggesting every 140mm fork on the market. Who’d have thunk it?

DT Swiss FTW BTW etc.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best 140mm fork these days’ is closed to new replies.