Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Whats new at Cotic then?
  • tang
    Free Member

someone must have been today, spill the beans!

tang
    Free Member

x.cotic.co.uk whats this all about?

enfht
    Free Member

Hey that made my eyes go funny 😡

wors
    sv

Thats a big X. Cross bike maybe 😉

sv

4 seconds too late doh!

tang
    Free Member

checked their site merlin built soda for 120mm forks (poss my next frame)
    new soul with oval top tube and new headtube so 140mm forks are good.

Frankers
    Free Member

Merlin built Soda sounds nice

tang
    Free Member

that crosser looks nice! 853, same price as a soul?

elliptic
    Free Member

Looking round the Cotic site I've just found the "development history" sections for the Soul/Soda/BFe frames with full (geeky) details on how they've been evolved and tweaked – thumbs up for that 🙂

younggeoff

Photo's of the Soda needed please 🙂

Frankers
    Free Member

We haven't thrown the baby out with the bathwater though, fear not! Cotic geometry carries over unchanged; it's what made the Soul the legend it is in the first place. It's the same inspiringly, wonderfully twinkle-toed ride it always was

It says on the new Soul that the geometry is unchanged, sounds a bit geeky i know but wasn't it 71ha 74sa before ?? now 70ha 73sa

STATO
    Free Member

Is the BeFe going to be cheaper than the Soul? since its now got 631 instead of 853 tubes (bar the downtube anyway). Might have to start saving, i LOVE that blue!

oddjob
    Free Member

Hmmm
    Nice cross bike, I think I need one of those…

Surfr
    Free Member

How can they alter the Soul to take a 140mm form when it was designed for a 100mm before without altering the geometry?

Surfr
    Free Member
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

How can they alter the Soul to take a 140mm form when it was designed for a 100mm before without altering the geometry?

Same geometry, bigger fork. BFe's, Souls, Sodas, Simples all share the same "basic" angles relative to each other, but the overall angles change as longer or shorter forks are fitted.

So if you buy a "new" Soul and stick a 100mm fork on, it will be identical geometry to an original Soul with the same fork.

It sounds like it *shouldn't* work, but it does, very nicely – my Bfe has 160mm forks on and handles fantastically DH. Wind the forks down for the way back up. Sorted!

Frankers
    Free Member

Yep that blue looks fookin Mint!!

feel a respray coming on

crazy-legs

Couple of pics on the front page under the Cycle Show news bit. More pics coming and a video interview with Cy coming soon too (Mark is working on it now).

STATO
    Free Member

No no no no no no! The BFe got boring normal dropouts?!?!? The custom 'cotic' dropout was one of the nicest little features of the brand :0(

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I got one of last current BFe's a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did in a way, although it cost me £100 more than the new one thats coming out.

mrmo
    Free Member

The orange looks almost the bike i always wanted an orange bonty Race Lite.

hmmm..

khegs
    Free Member

That Orange soul looks very very tasty.

STATO
    Free Member

I got one of last current BFe's a couple of weeks ago. Glad I did in a way

I never bought one of those as i wanted a Bigger size, which they now do, in a nicer colour but with a rubbish dropout (yes, petty little things matter to me ;0) Might just stick with my on-one now.

Surfr
    Free Member

I'm starting to think that most colours would look great on slim tubed steel with the Cotic wrap logo on.

Frankers
    Free Member

Surfr – Member

I'm starting to think that most colours would look great on slim tubed steel with the Cotic wrap logo on.

What even sh1tty brown like the last colour 😉

nickc

I never liked those cowled drop-outs anyway

Ben_Haworth

Cotic Soul Video Interview: http://bit.ly/gbxMD

STATO
    Free Member

I never liked those cowled drop-outs anyway

Maybe not but at least you were paying for somthing that is just a little bit special (why else are you paying £400+ for a hardtail?), rather than just stamped out plate of the competition

tang
    Free Member

man that orange is nice..any news on the price on the new soda?

DaveGr
    Free Member

Should I be worried that my Soul under the new CEN regs which require 50,000 + cycles broke after only 34,000 cycles ???

Nah, doubt it. Is the top tube 853 or as it's ovalised (?) is it something else?

Northwind

Hmm, dilemma, keep the one I've got and sneak a 140mm fork into it and hope that if I don't tell anyone, it won't break… Or sell the one I've got and get a new one. Nice change this. Not keen on the new logo mind, the old one's classy, the new one's just a bit silly looking IMO.

birdo
    Free Member

I like the look of that crosser. i was about to buy a rat but i m not too sure now, any ideas of cost or when they ll be available?

kelvin

It says on the new Soul that the geometry is unchanged, sounds a bit geeky i know but wasn't it 71ha 74sa before ?? now 70ha 73sa

Just pulled this out a of recent email from Cy:

"The original 71/74 was based on 470mm forks
    sagged 30mm giving 440mm a-c. Most 100mm forks are between 475 and
    480mm these days, and because everything's got so linear in the air
    springs, I've not used more than 25mm sag for years, which gives
    around 450mm a-c and 70/73."

Oh, and previous versions of the Soul were designed to handle well with 100-130mm forks (been running SC Dorados on mine for a few years) not just 100mm, so the new 100-140mm range works fine handling wise, Thors are a good pairing for big hill riding. Worth noting that the it's not just stronger for 140mm forks, there's a few things going on to make it stiffer in the directions need with bigger forks, such as that Ovalform top tube. All still works with 100mm forks though if need be, and it's not gone heavy, don't worry…

MrSmith
    Free Member

interesting that the befe is now available in a small size for 'normal' height 4-x riders. it was not deemed necessary last time round despite a few comments on websites about it being too long for 4-x which were dismissed in a statement posted in the geek section.
    i guess if enough people complain manufacturers finally listen to their customers.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Whats new at Cotic then?’ is closed to new replies.