Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • What's Bath Like?
  • shooterman

I have an interview for a job on Friday. The job is in Bath. What’s it like as a place to live? Which areas should be avoided?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s not too bad, but fortunately, you have the option of living in Bristol, nearby 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bath is ace. Lovely town, great pubs, great riding. Good luck!

krag
    Free Member

I woke up in Twerton once. That was pretty rough.

Bath city centre is lovely though, pretty busy mind especially in the summer.

transapp
    Free Member

The riding is good (particually in the summer with drier trails as it’s so bloody steep!), the city centre is good fun upto pub kicking out time then you’ll end up in a crap club. However, bars and food wise, it’s great. Shoppping is good. Decent (15min) acess to the M4 to get away, close to Wales for bigger rides.
    Areas to avoid? Twerton and Snowhill although neither are rough in the big city sense of the word. Budget will play a huge part, but lots of rental around Oldfield Park area. Buying, well you pay your moneyu and take your choice….
    Good luck at the interview!

llama

Rubbish

No not really

Put it this way – even the ‘rough’ areas of bath are quite pleasant when compared to other cities.

krag
    Free Member

Decent (15min) acess to the M4 to get away

Maybe during the day, no chance on a weekday rush hour!

transapp
    Free Member

Oh, OK. I leave to go to work at 6:30am, Maybe it’s a lot busier afterwards!

wl
    Free Member

Unbelievably posh. Whether that’s a good or bad thing depends on you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Small cities FTW.

rewski
    Free Member

I think the word charming sums it up for me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Small minded cities FTW.

llama

its not that small minded for a ‘posh’ city

aP
    Free Member

Expensive
    Busy
    Full of tourists, Yahs and bo-bos

phil.w
    Free Member

Twerton & Snowhill aren’t so bad. Its Southdown and Foxhill that are to avoid.

The best thing about Bath is that you can be in open countryside then into the centre of town in 15 minutes.

You pay for this though with high rental costs. And house prices ain’t much better.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

One friend described it as quite “regal”.!

clubber
    Free Member

I like visiting it from Bristol but I always think it’s a bit too twee and sloaney for my liking. I wouldn’t mind living there but I definitely prefer Bristol.

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice enough town. Poor rugby team, mind.

backhander
    Free Member

Bath is nice. There’s a lot of snobby asshats there though. A bit like Clifton in that respect.

abhi001
    Free Member

Hi. I saw a nice place in Twerton but I am sceptical about renting it as I have not really heard good things about the area. Some people told me that it used to be bad but has improved a lot. Can some1 please let me know the current situations? Also, I have a nice car… I hope that wont be affected by my decision to live in Twerton, Bath

Mintman
    Free Member

When my car got stolen the first place I looked for it was Twerton Park. The mighty Bristol Rovers FC used to play there many years ago but since they came back to Bristol Twerton seems to have got a bit better again.

its not all bad but to be honest i’d also consider other areas…

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Hi abhi. Which street? Some specific streets in Twerton are more of a problem than others and as llama said above the general area is nowhere near as many other comparable ‘estates’ in other cities. Redland Park for example, Roundhill Park further up the hill – Somer (the social housing landlord) has made a conscious decision to put all the ‘problem’ tennants on top of eachother.

Also the High Street does tend to attract groups of youths at night.

Klunk
    Free Member

if you like being gawped at and your phototaken by japanese tourists maybe this might interest sir (very deep pockets required)

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Klunk – Member
    if you like being gawped at and your phototaken by japanese tourists maybe this might interest sir (very deep pockets required)

Little known fact: I used to live in the Royal Crescent (tiny top floor flat!)

I think the thread has moved on a bit tho Klunk 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I went to Uni there, lovely little city, good riding from your doorstep. Its awfully rah-rah-rah-dharling and tourist saturated in summer, but I still like the place.

Most Bath streets (especially all the terraced suburbs) are a complete PITA to park on though. Narrow streets, gazillions of cars. Never bothered me as I don’t drive …

thebunk

I’ve worked in Bath for about 6 years now. I started off by living there and loved it, Bath flats are great, massive rooms in solid Georgian houses, and there’s loads of pubs. It is a bit small after a while though, and the tourists and poshness can get a bit annoying. Traffic is bad, parking is bad, but then what city isn’t that true of?

We moved to Bristol for mrsbunks job four years ago though, and I haven’t wanted to move back. Bristol is a proper lovely place to live, and never gets boring. I now cycle to the station and get the train in – about 40 minutes door to door, or I can cycle between work and home in an hour.

But the great thing is that you’ve got the choice – live in Bath for a bit, move to Brissle, move back again, move out to the countryside – great area of the world. Good luck in your interview!

phil.w
    Free Member

abhi001 – up the hill towards Southdown is the worst. Down the bottom, Cleeve Green area is actually quite nice. And none of it is as bad as Fox Hill.

Good luck in your interview!

Have a look at the date 🙂

karen805
    Free Member

I like Bath a lot, I also went to uni there and commuted from Bristol. The centre has changed a lot in the last few years with the opening of the Southgate centre, it’s busier than ever, but very nice.

I’d also recommend Bristol for living, I live in east Bristol (Warmley), it’s a good location without the Bath living costs, Bath’s easier to get to than Bristol centre for me. The Park and Ride in Weston did me well for 3 years, or you can get the train.

thebunk

Have a look at the date

Doh!

Rather than Twerton you might as well move to Combe Down or somewhere if you’re willing to live out of the centre…

llama

Twerton is mostly fine. That’s where Nicholas Cage lived. I think.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

llama – Member
    Twerton is mostly fine. That’s where Nicholas Cage lived. I think.

Nah, it was Whiteway llama. After he was hit with his tax bill he sold Midford Castle and his place in The Circus and moved to a nice ex Council semi in Rosewarn Close. A couple of doors down from Johnny Depp apparently. 😆

Notice too how a thread asking ‘what’s Bath like’ turns into a thread about ‘why Bristol is better’ 😉

SaxonRider

Gorgeous city and wonderful location. I tend to like everything from Bristol down.

ransos
    Free Member

18th century housing estate. Best left to the tourists.

CountZero

ransos – Member
    18th century housing estate. Best left to the tourists.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah. If you want real posh, try Cheltenham, or Clifton Village in Bristol. Bath can be very quiet in the centre during the week at night. A friend of mine has lived in various flats in Bath over the the last fifteen years, and it’s a lovely city with very quiet areas if you look around. At the moment she lives in Park Street, close to Cavendish Road off of Julian Road. Her local’s the St James’ Wine Vaults which is a terrific little pub, but if that’s really busy we walk down to the Assembly Inn, and there’s hardly anyone around after eleven when we walk back up to her flat. Smashing part of the city north of Vicky Park.

transapp
    Free Member

In answer to the question, Twerten is rougher than the other areas of town (break ins, some drug use etc) however it’s no worse than snow hill, foxhill, etc. Compared to other cities the rough areas could be classed as good. It’s too small to get proper rough!
    I’ve live here for 10 yrs all around the city centre (including Brock street, between the circus and the crescent), a couple of years on the Hollow between Twerton and Southdown and finally ended up close to bear flat, within 5 mins walk of city centre. I’ll miss it when I move but mini transapp is going to want some more outdoor space as she grows and Damn, property with a garden costs a lot!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘What's Bath Like?’ is closed to new replies.