Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Whats a lightyear compared to a normal year?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

can this be explained easily as i know nothing about this stuff.just wondered.

fatboyjon

It's filled with helium.

ojom
    Free Member

It's a LOT longer.

Happy to help.

Aristotle
    Free Member

a Year is a unit of time

'Light' is the speed of light, the dimensions of which are distance /time

light year = (speed of light)x (year)

speed x time =(distance/time) x time =
    = distance

A light year is a unit of length.

robdob
    Free Member

A lightyear is a measure of distance, (the distance light travels in a year)

A year is a measure of time.

thepurist

year is a measure of time
    lightyear is a measure of distance
    which is longer depends how fast you're going

vinnyeh

It's a distance- the distance light travels in one year. Dunno how far that is though. Travels 186000 miles a second, though, so it'll be a lot.

fatboyjon

But would it take off on a conveyor belt?

joolsburger
    Free Member

A light year is approx 5,878,630,000,000 miles apparently

A year is too bloody long when it's like this one.

Hope that helps.
    J

fatboyjon

5865696000000 miles in a year then, based on 186000 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365.

organic355
    Free Member

This reminds me of this "joke"

Q: What's the difference between a tyre and 365 used condoms?

A: One's a Goodyear; the other's a F*%kin great year!!! 😆

odannyboy
    Free Member

OMG! OMG!
    someone sent me a picture of the "rossette nebula" which is 3000 light years away! 😯
    how can this be seen if it is so far away??????

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Er.. It's just what it looked like 3000 years ago.. There's nothing (well very very little) in space to diminish the light so it keeps on going

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

you're essentially looking at a 3000 year old image

Davy
    Free Member

how can this be seen if it is so far away??????

Because it's more than twelve years old. Unlike you. :p

nedrapier

big telescope?

Obviously this means that the picture you saw is of what was happening in the Nebula 3000 years ago, because that's when the light that made the picture started the journey to us.

thefallguy
    Free Member

time travel – innit

mudshark
    Free Member

Due to the curvature of space you could actually looking at the back of your own head.

Olly
    Free Member

was talking to someone who is apparently in the know about technology and stuff, working in the navy as an intellegence office.

According to this navy intel officer, 15 years ago, a satallite could provide a live feed satalite video at a clarity that would allow the operator to look at the scar on the hand of someone driving a car via the reflection in the wingmirror.

apparently.

GrahamS

According to this navy intel officer, 15 years ago, a satallite could provide a live feed satalite video at a clarity that would allow the operator to look at the scar on the hand of someone driving a car via the reflection in the wingmirror.

"Tonight on CSI…."

BigDummy
    Free Member

Useful. Quite a few wanted fugitives were caught in this way. Then they all started wearing gloves. It is depressing how easy it is for people with scars on their hands to defeat the most powerful military intelligence agencies with such low-tech solutions.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The easy way of understanding it is relating it to sound. Think about thunder and lightening – you see it before you hear it because light travels more quickly than sound, but it still has to travel.

Multiply that by a year….

Wozza
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

"Tonight on CSI…."

PMSL

IanMmmm
    Free Member

This thread is a joke right?

odannyboy
    Free Member

Look dont have a go but i just dont get this.i understand that stars are so far away that what we see is actually no longer there.i get that. so are you all saying that this rossette nebula thingy is just up there and you can look at it with a pretty decent telescope BUT it is actually a stupidly, ridiculous, long physical distance away(or was cos its gone now) and so that how we see it.the light from it is still coming to us, so we can see it.so effectivly the image of it has travelled to us(is that right?)

odannyboy
    Free Member

ive reread this thread and i think i am right in saying that the image has travelled to us.sort of.weird.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes that is right – light moves just like sound, only much quicker so much of what we see from space happened, quite literally, light years ago. This is why, with a powerful telescope scientists in white coats can look back in time.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Yes

Gary_M
    Free Member

It's just like a normal year only it's brighter.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

ive reread this thread and i think i am right in saying that the image has travelled to us.sort of.weird.

but thats how we see anything. Unless you believe in the emission theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_theory_%28vision%29

But that was pretty much discounted in 1021 by some arab bloke

matthewjb
    Free Member

much of what we see from space happened, quite literally, light years ago

Well not literally. As we've all said, 'light years' = distance

But 'quite literally,… years ago'

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Okay Mr Pedant. Parp!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Whats a lightyear compared to a normal year?’ is closed to new replies.