Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Whats a good dog for a young family?
  • benp1

Top 20 breeds according to the Kennel Club

1 Retriever (Labrador) 32,507
    2 Spaniel (Cocker) 22,577
    3 French Bulldog 14,607
    4 Spaniel (English Springer) 10,246
    5 Pug 10,087
    6 German Shepherd Dog 7,783
    7 Bulldog 6,960
    8 Retriever (Golden) 6,928
    9 Border Terrier 5,426
    10 Miniature Schnauzer 5,302
    11 Staffordshire Bull Terrier 4,563
    12 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel 4,383
    13 Chihuahua (Smooth Coat) 3,932
    14 Shih Tzu 3,636
    15 Boxer 3,379
    16 Dachshund (Miniature Smooth-Haired) 3,450
    17 Whippet 3,084
    18 Lhasa Apso 2,719
    19 West Highland White Terrier 2,692
    20 Beagle 2,424

Didn’t realise those ugly little French Bulldogs were so popular??

I have 2 black labs, one 7 years and the other about 4 months. They’re popular for good reason. Wife would also have liked a Spaniel (I would only have entertained a Springer) but wasn’t sure about the crazyness or need for so much exercise.

Labs are great with kids, mine are 4 and 5 so have never not had a dog around.

I’m not saying go for the most popular, but it’s a helpful thing to reference. Most dogs are popular for a reason (caveat those rat like French Bulldogs and pugs!) – one of my favourite comments from my kids was when I was cycling with my son and the dog round the normal walk – “look daddy, a cat”

mrlebowski
    Free Member

We were even told by one of the charities that they wouldn’t even consider us because we didn’t fit their requirements.

They will have their reasons – they only have the dogs & yours best interests at heart I promise you.

user-removed
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    It looks like it has a bit of Wheaton terrier in it . Lovely looking dog mind.

Cheers! Yeah, definitely got terrier in him. It’s just his body shape which gives away the lurcher content – deep chest, small waist, faster than he looks…

JPR
    Free Member

Get a large sofa and a beach at sunset and then it really doesn’t matter what kind of dog you get.

JonBoy
    Free Member

There are some really good looking dogs about. From this thread I will need to eaither choose 5 or 6 different ones, open my own rescue place or learn how to splice DNA. Still early days but I’m convinced a dog is the way to go.

dragon
    Free Member

In true way of recommending what you have Standard Poodle. Good points they don’t cast, are smart, train well, lovely chilled nature, have a good balance of speed and agility. Bad points don’t like being left alone for long periods, everyone wants to stop and pet them, and finally they are very happy to almost walk upright on their hind legs, so things you thought were out of reach aren’t.

martinxyz
    Free Member

That’ll be a standing poodle!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Googling staffie x boxer wasn’t a great idea.. (completely worksafe)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2b/32/1b/2b321b2471d692c0d585a76261d2523f.jpg

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

From the link above. Best dogs ever 😉

tom200

One that won’t bite your kids face off. My sister has had two of here kids bitten by the grandparents family friendly dogs. I wouldn’t get too hooked up on the breed, just rememeber you can never really trust a dog with small children.

We had a novascotian duck tolling retriever rescue with our eldest and she was great, but I still wouldn’t trust her.

flossie
    Free Member

A cat! Just get a cat!

dragon
    Free Member

Standing Poodle, i see what you did there 😉

I can’t seem to link to images on my phone but there are some good examples on the Web. Women beware as their front paws always seem to end up a breast height! Can leave interesting muddy paw marks.

JonBoy
    Free Member

Reluctant to go with a cat again as I’m worried it will go the same way.

johndoh
    Free Member

They will have their reasons – they only have the dogs & yours best interests at heart I promise you.

No doubt, but I am just tempering the OPs hopes that they might be able to get a rescue as with a young family they will find it difficult if our experience is anything to go by.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Flat coat retriever – the king of dogs – enough said

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Whats a good dog for a young family?’ is closed to new replies.