Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Whats a good dog for a young family?
  • matt10214
    Free Member

I’ve got a four month old Vizsla/Pointer cross and he has a lovely temperament, so I would recommend either breed or a cross. He does need plenty of walking and we never leave him alone for more than three or four hours though.

Drac

I’ll let you know after the 1st week of December!

Lovely dogs easy to train, very friendly and placid.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lovely dogs easy to train, very friendly and placid.

Which is why, after much deliberation & taking little notice of people on here, we chose one!

anagallis_arvensis

But everyone thinks their dog is the best!

I know its wierd as my dog is the best!

piha
    Free Member

Good on you OP for considering a rescue.

This fella is looking for a home – http://rescueremediesdogrescue.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4659 but you need to be quick as I don’t think he’ll be in rescue for long.

rkk01
    Free Member

We’ve had two cockers at the same time as the kids (kids aged from 7-8 when we got the dogs?). Like all dogs, each one is different in temperament etc, but these have been great…

Soft, loyal, lovable with the family; but will still bark at an “unknown” in or around the house. Unlike a springer (springer would originally have been my preference), the cocker is a much more manageable size for modern houses / lifestyles.

breadcrumb

Drac-Stop it!

Making a garden border proof will a challenge they’re escape artists

I don’t think we’d stand a chance, quite a few holes in the hedges that let the wildlife in.

Will a terrier come back of its own accord eventually?

wwaswas

We got a Vizsla puppy in March.

I wouldn’t recommend for a young family – mainly due to the amount of daily walking he needs – I just think he’s either end up climbing the walls due to not getting out enough or you’d be doing relay parenting managing the dog.

jimwah
    Free Member

Grew up with collies/spaniels and have a spaniel now – unless you have a decent bit of time to invest then I’d steer away from a gun/working breed. We’ll get something like a pug-cross, or a whippet/bedlington next time I reckon!

chakaping
    Free Member

But everyone thinks their dog is the best!

No, I think mine is the worst. But I still love him.

Rescue is definitely the way to go, as you won’t appreciate the extra demands a puppy brings with a young family to organise.

One thing I’ll say is make sure you definitely all have time for the daily walkies and attention the mutt will need. It’s a job that muggins ‘ere has been lumbered with, despite it not being me that wanted the beast.

Hope that doesn’t seem patronising, but I imagine a cat is a fair bit lower maintenance (but of course far inferior to any dog).

loddrik
    Free Member

Border terrier. Mine is 7 months old. Great recall. Doesn’t chew much. Crate trained. Always up for some action though is happy to chill in house as long as he gets a run in the morning. Doesn’t shed. Doesn’t smell much. Barks at most things when we’re out but I quite like it. He seems like the perfect dog so far. Just about to take him out to the beach. With regards escaping from, he does tend to visit the neighbouring garden but only to see if there is any food out but never goes any further.

Best advice I can give is get them whistle trained.

[URL=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/loddrik1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/B9BD5050-8FAB-4A77-8ADC-BB27D6397E0B_zps5mfq1qtc.jpg.html][/URL]

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Pomsky

anagallis_arvensis

We’ll get something like a pug-cross, or a whippet/bedlington next time I reckon!

Why two such different choices?

I’d steer away from a gun/working breed

You do realise whippets and Bedlingtons are working breeds and the cross of the two is very much a working dog?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you have pockets full of sausages, then yes!

My Fell Terrier will return at the first whistle. My JR won’t! She has a very, very strong hunting drive which tends to block out any distractions, including me.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Both my partner and I grew up with and have owned our own rescue greyhounds, deer hounds and lurchers. The Greyhound Rescue constantly pull at our heartstrings with pictures posted on their Facebook feed of dogs looking for love.
    However we brought a Whippet Sprollie last year and she’s proved an incredible dog. Like most running dogs it’s super lazy and fast as lightning in equal measures. Smart like collie and as mad as any Spaniel. She likes to chase swallows. A loving and affectionate animal she is unrelentingly patient with the baby and is so gentle with him……. just be careful when out in the county. If a deer takes off the gentle play thing remembers why she’s a dog. At 9 months Ruby was just a couple of feet from bring down a buck.

Drac

If it feels necessy then yes.

He’s growing loddrik lovely little border.

anagallis_arvensis

Lurcher:

ianpv
    Free Member

I love our whippet (two kids, 7 & 5)

+ves: doesn’t bark, doesn’t smell, very affectionate, crate trained easily, lazy indoors but has an absolute character change when outside and is brilliant fun and fearless – so fit and fast (needs 10-15km a day either running with my wife or with me on the bike), loves kids and other dogs, very beautiful looking things.

-ves: poor recall (although doesn’t really want to run off is easily distracted), picnic raider, can cover a lot of ground very quickly so needs a lot of open space, needs 10-15km of running a day, really hated bad weather when she was a puppy.

willard

I’m biased (once more) towards spaniels because I own two; a springer and a cocker.

Of the two, I’d have to agree with rkk01 that a cocker is a better choice for modern life. I love my springer, but he’s a big dog and does take up a lot of space on the sofa. The cocker is very much easier to manage.

wwaswas

does take up a lot of space on the sofa

“we’re going to need a bigger sofa”

He’s 8 months in that picture so still a fair bit of growing to go…

TomB

We’ve got a Lakeland trail hound who wasn’t fast enough/interested enough when racing. Had her from age 2, first dog, kids 6 and 8, and she has been absolutely brilliant, will run all day or sleep all day, really easy going.

Facebook pic

See here for details. Ours came direct from the owner but Trailhound Welfare charity rehomes dogs nationally.

Sandwich

Beagles as pack animals have a single communal brain. If you’re lucky the chosen pup has use of the brain when you collect it and it’s reasonably trainable. If unlucky someone else has the puppy with the pack brain and you have a hunting machine that doesn’t think for itself. Choose wisely padawan.

Never, ever agin!

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Rottweiler for the win. We rescued ours from Dog Trust at the age of 14 weeks. He’s completely crazy but as soon as a small person comes towards him he’s as placid as anything, just sits there and lets them play with his ears and muck about with him. He’s sat next to my 1 year old nephew while he (my nephew) emptied his toy box and handed him each of his toys one by one. Dog just took them really carefully out of his hands and made a pile of them, it was soooo cute.

Pluses – capable of good exercise but will happily settle on the sofa and sleep for hours, easy to train, super sociable.

Negatives – stubborn as a mule with training/recall when he’s not in the mood, very strong, eats absurd quantities, people cross the road to get away from you, you’ll need a bigger sofa, goes through toys like a industrial shredder

Lots more on here

taxi25
    Free Member

Loads of great dogs there 😀 but only one mention that many rescue centres won’t home dogs with families with small children. Check with your local ones before you go down and fall in love with a particular dog.

user-removed
    Free Member

Lurcher, lurcher, lurcher 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Vizsla – amazing dogs. My mate has one.

Lovely dogs but they can be a pain – they love human company and are known as velcro dogs as a result.

My uncle and aunt had one (Digby) who was brilliant as long as he was with you at all times. He refused to sleep downstairs at night on his own – if he was he’d chew everything, pee and poop everywhere. If he was upstairs with people…not a peep.

We’re on the verge of getting a dog. Even my other half has come round the idea and really wants one.

iolo
    Free Member

Staffie or staffie mongrel. The rescue homes are full of them as idiots think they’re a mean fighting machine when in actual fact they’re fluffy sweeties.

wwaswas

I work at home so our Viszla is with me all day but he will be left alone downstairs at night. I wouldn’t leave him alone in the house while at work/out riding for a few hours though. As I said above you need to allow at least a couple of hours a day for exercising him.

Our kids are 14 and 20 and I do most of the walks but it’s useful to have them around to look after him or do the odd walk when I or my wife can’t.

He has a great temperament and is less mad than we were led to believe he would be. Other Vizsla owners we meet often comment that he’s remarkably calm for a Vizsla puppy….

He’s dead handsome (imho) 🙂 9 months in this pic :

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

+1 for Lab.
    They love kids.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Loads of great dogs there but only one mention that many rescue centres won’t home dogs with families with small children. Check with your local ones before you go down and fall in love with a particular dog.

Our local Dogs Trust kind of has that as a blanket policy but if you go in and make the effort to speak to the trainers/staff they’re actually very flexible. They want dogs to go to the right homes, so if you can show you know what you’re doing and you’re going for a young dog without too much history they’d be fine.

Staffie or staffie mongrel. The rescue homes are full of them as idiots think they’re a mean fighting machine when in actual fact they’re fluffy sweeties.

Don’t get a staffie-collie cross. We got one ‘by accident’ (it wasn’t obvious it was collie when she was tiny) when we were after a companion for the rottie. She’s nuts, completely nuts, and can do a full re-charge in 45 minutes; hard work is an understatement.

mindmap3
    Free Member

wwaswas he’s gorgeous. They’re easily my favourite breed of dogs.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

He looks a whopper!
    Any Ridgeback in the mix?

Drac

User-defined that’s a very different looking lurcher to the ones our neighbour had when we were kids.

anagallis_arvensis

Lurchers come in many guises. Any cross breed with some greyhound or whippet is a lurcher..some are much more running dog based than others. Users dog looks like the running dog part is smaller.

Drac

It looks like it has a bit of Wheaton terrier in it . Lovely looking dog mind.

johndoh
    Free Member

but only one mention that many rescue centres won’t home dogs with families with small children.

Our local Dogs Trust kind of has that as a blanket policy but if you go in and make the effort to speak to the trainers/staff they’re actually very flexible.

Whereas I spoke to several local charities (but not the Dog’s Trust as they don’t have a local branch) and I got *very* in-depth grillings from them all (including one where I had an extensive form to fill in) where they asked about our history (had we owned dogs before, had we owned rescues before), asked about our children, asked about our garden size (and fencing/security), asked about our working arrangements (regarding how often the dog would be left alone etc). We were also asked whether we had another dog – some dogs are only suitable to be re-homed where there is another dog around (so they can learn sociability) whereas other dogs can’t be homed where there is another dog.

We were even told by one of the charities that they wouldn’t even consider us because we didn’t fit their requirements.

wwaswas

Any Ridgeback in the mix?

No we’ve got the pedigree line – a local gun dog person said it was mostly working dogs rather than show ones and they tend to be a bit bigger and a bit more ‘canny’.

He does look big in that picture, he’s not *that* big – sort of Wiemaraner size, I guess? Although he’s still only 9 months so he’s got to grow and fill out a bit more.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

@Johndoh – oh they do all of that, including a home visit to check on your property and garden. However, there was definitely a degree of flexibility and a willingness to work with prospective owners rather than dismissing people out of hand.

woffle
    Free Member

Bedlington owners here. Got Stan when our girls were 4 and 5 yrs old. (They’re now 10 and 11). He’s fantastic

+ positives – non shedding – both my wife and youngest daughter have bad asthma and are allergic to dogs (or dog dander to be specific). Mad as a box of frogs but either we’ve lucked out with Stan or they’re remarkably biddable (once trained) for a terrier / working dog. His recall is good and he’ll walk nicely to heel as well as obeying the usual plethora of basic commands. He’s equally happy sofa-surfing or lazying about the house as he is running about the woods. He’s mainly motivated by toys and tennis balls rather than food, rabbits or other small furries (he’ll happily co-exist with our chickens when we’re all knocking around the garden). Again, for a terrier he’s remarkably quiet.

– negatives (such as there are) – we had to put some serious groundwork in when we first got him – but not sure how different this is from any other dog to a lesser or greater extent. They do require some grooming otherwise he can get matted – and typically we get him clipped every 5-6 weeks. He seems to have developed a phobia of the rain 🙂 and now returns to his bed / following you round the kitchen if it’s wet outside, rather than running for his lead. Not the brightest of breeds. We still get bothered by people wanting to breed from him (not much luck there as he’s been ‘done’) – for example we had a bin lorry screech to a halt and the driver jump out wanting to know whether we’d be interested in putting him to stud…

There are a few congenital defects in Bedlingtons that are also worth keeping an eye out for / checking with the breeder. Specific details escape me right now but there’s a particular liver issue that’s typically fatal 🙁

I’d have another Bedlington in a heartbeat.

HansRey

I’ve got a Swiss Shepherd. We asked for the most confident puppy as relatives have young children and we live in an apartment. She’s very chilled at home and whilst walking/ searching/ jogging. The confidence helps as she’s not spooked by loud noises or sudden surprises, which inevitably come with small children. On her first NYE last year, she wasn’t bothered by fireworks. We trained her by firing gun blanks on the farm at a distance.

Of my dogs litter, the range of temperaments was surprising. At a puppy meetup (4 months old or so) we saw boisterous puppies, dominant behaviour, one was very aggressive and the other completely afraid other puppies. I know a couple with the cousin of my dog and it is extremely territorial and protective of its owners. The difference between my dog and their dog is night and day.

My sister-in-law has three working black labs who are easy going. She uses them for retrieving birds on hunts and her dogs are national champs. By stimulating them with an activity (retrieving dummies and birds) she keeps them content. They’re happy snoozing at home for most of the day.

My sister has a little yappy terrier and a ginger labrador. The terrier is bonkers, but the labrador is the most chilled out and dopey dog I’ve met. It’s brilliant with my nephew and very sociable. It would make an excellent gun dog.

My advice would be to get a labrador of some description, with a gentle and confident temperament.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Whats a good dog for a young family?’ is closed to new replies.