Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • whatHifispeakertrackworld?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

by chance any STW folks got one of these and can give short review:?

Tannoy Mercury V1i
    Q Acoustics 2020i
    Dali Zensor 1
    Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
    Monitor Audio BX1

room size 4.5 x 5.5 metre

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have the Monitors, with a Marantz MCR603 driving them.

They sound great, especially with my rather diverse musical taste! (Hair metal, French chansons, classical, old school hip hop etc). Nicely balanced overall, in a small room. They’re very good when it goes up to 11 as it did this afternoon with some Ugly Kid Joe! \M/

They also look rather nice, IMHO. I have the oak finish.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

how is bass in So Damn Cool of UKJ? is yours BX1 or BX2? I really want the BX2 as was highly recommended..but might be overkill for the room size.. might get the Denon CEOL R9 ..network thingy and stuff.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Plenty big enough!

Mine are the BX1 and are more than enough for the size of my study, which is about 9″ wide by around 20″ long. Odd shape! Usually listen to stuff quite quietly while I’m working, but every now and again….. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d really recommend going to a shop to try some out if you can. When I got mine 15 years ago I went to the shop with a good idea of what I wanted. I can’t remember what they were, something recommended in What HiFi for about £100. The man then suggested I try some Kef Crestas which were only £20-30 more but sounded so much better it was a no brainer. When it came to amps I couldn’t tell any real difference but I’m glad I could listen to my music on different things.

mattyfez

I have some old skool tannoy m1 speakers, and some m3’s which are thier floor standing brother’s.

The M1’s are (were) incredibly good speakers for the price.. So I imagine that the newer iterations are just as good..

What a lot of people over look is the amp, a good amp can make crap speakers sing.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy budget tannoys again if any thing happened to my precious m’s.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have M1s too, and echo what mattyfez says. although i’m currently using an onkyo amp, which is not the best, but adequate- i’m intending to upgrade the amp next year but (barring any physical disasters) will be keeping the speakers as they’re ace (even at 17 years old!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

keeping the speakers as they’re ace (even at 17 years old!)

My father has a pair of old wood cased Pioneer speakers from around ’71 and they still deliver the warmest, richest, best sound of almost anything I’ve heard.

zigzag69
    Free Member

my study, which is about 9″ wide by around 20″ long

Flashy’s study yesterday…

mudshark
    Free Member

study, which is about 9″ wide by around 20″ long. Odd shape!

Odd shape and a bit of a squeeze?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

Should have been 9′ by 20′, obviously!

😆

daveh
    Free Member

Not interested in B&W?

mudshark
    Free Member

Should have been 9′ by 20′, obviously!

Very Spinal Tap 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

I have BX1s running through a Denon CEOL (think its V8) and I really like them.
    I can’t really give you an audiophile description but they are great for what I want (it might differ for you though) and the CEOL is a great network music player.

Edukator
    Free Member

BX2s here with an old but powerful (70W per channel) Kenwood amp. Junior managed to get one of the bass drivers to stick at the end of its travel but I took it back, they simply released it and its been fine since. He now uses our 400W PA when he wants loud.

We use the BXes along with Grado SX80 headphones for mixing his music as they are both fairly neutral.

I’ve also got some old Kefs which are similar to the BXes but not quite as clear on voices.

Listen to some and buy what you like.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ll go with recommend what you own.. Go with the dali. Excellent speakers.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

cloudnine what Dali have you got? … got my payslip today and I think I can afford a Dali 3 with denon ceol n9 like this:

https://youtu.be/w06DB9ps1_0

but then it’s gonna be Dali3 vs Monitor BronzeBX3, spoken to richersound earlier and they have both speakers bu don’t have the amp I want 😡

Is it ok to buy now or be wiser and wait Xmas – January sale? 😐

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Check out the Q Acoustic 3020 – supposedly better than the 2020s and the same price-ish.

CountZero

Not interested in B&W?

I was in Bath Tuesday evening, and passing Audience HiFi, had a shufti in the window. They’ve got a bunch of ex-demo stuff on sale, a fair bit of it B&W, including a pair of 803’s, IIRC, only £14,500 or thereabouts…. 😯

wolfenstein
    Free Member

B&W is waaaayyy above my pay grade 🙁

drlex
    Free Member

I loved the look of my FiL’s 803s, but I do prefer the sound of his Quad ESL2812s. Shame that his rate of hearing deterioration appears to match that of his hifi spending.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ive got Floor standing Lektor 6’s and a BKXXLS400 sub..
    Picked them up really cheap a few years back.

mattyfez

Richer sounds are great for audio bargains.. Going back some years I picked up a paradigm 10″ active sub for about £90.. None of that lifestyle compact rubbish.. You can hear different parts of the house rattle depending on what’s being played.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I would ignore the new route and go for eBay. With a room that size and wanting bass I would suggest floor standers really. Most speakers would be collection only so you’d get the chance to check them out for any issues first, though tbh speakers are less likely to go pop than other elements of the system.

A brief check on eBay speakers sold recently shows me that you’d get a much better set of speakers than buying new.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I would ignore the new route and go for eBay

That.

I bought some Avi Biggatron speakers for buttons. £700 studio monitors. Amazing sound, silly name.

There are always Avi neutrons going on EBay for a few hundred quid too.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

I’ve got the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 on stands which replaced my old floorstanders. I noticed a lack of bass compared to my original set up and ended up getting the Wharfedale SW150 to remedy that. This is probably the best sounding set up I have had to date. There is plenty of info out there on this combo but I suppose it all depends on the rest of your equipment, your room, your music and what you think sounds good. I certainly won’t be replacing any of this, unless it breaks…

matttromans
    Free Member

The BX2’s are lovely – I have them in a similar sized room – they could clearly fill a much larger space, but I wouldn’t say that they are too big for the volume either.

thorpie
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Dali Zensor Pico speakers? I’m thinking of running a pair off a Sonos connect amp. The house is pretty much full of Sonos now, a pair of Play 3s in the living room, a pair of Play 1s in the dining room, a single Play 1 in the kitchen and a connect box linking up an old Sony midi hi fi in the office. The sound coming through my midi speakers is warmer than that coming through the pair of Play 1s so I am thinking of swapping them in the dining room for some Zensor Picos. The room isn’t very large and space to place stuff is limited hence the Picos. How do they sound compared to the Play 1s?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘whatHifispeakertrackworld?’ is closed to new replies.