Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whatever happened to that Millyard shock?
  • mildred

I seem to recall Jones in Dirt saying it was one, if not the best shock he’d ever tried. I remember it was fitted to a homemade DH bike with a few innovative features. I think this shock was being heralded as the next big thing.

Allen Millyard built it (kawasaki 2 stroke tuner if I recall).

Does anyone know what happened to this?

househusband

I remember that – didn’t he claim that it was from a tank or something and that it was the air itself that created the damping?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yupp, tank tech

sharkattack

I loved the single sided swingarm with internal chain. Looked amazing.

I think the rear shock was an air shock full of nitrogen. And yes, I remember them saying something about it being a miniature version of what you’d find on a tank but I know nothing about tanks so they could be full of it.

I saw it being raced a few times and remember it being silent. At least in the days before people became obsessed with silencing their bikes.

EDIT: There’s loads of pics on Pinkbike

(A fair bit uglier than I remembered then!)

mildred

That’s mint..!

So he built the DH for his lad who was wanting 8″ travel, but it was only 120mm travel, and people who rode it believed it was 8″… Brilliant. I suppose it supports the idea that quality not quantity is more important.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Stuff the shock.
    Have you seen the viper engine motorbike?
    Possibly the maddest thing ever.

tomhoward

Was just going to mention that /\, he’s been on TV with a v12 Kawasaki too

mildred

No, the Rolls Royce Merlin engined bike featured in Performance bikes years ago was far madder.

wysiwyg – Member
    Yupp, tank tech

Which bit of the tank? Wheels, Gun (I always wondered if they need a dampener)?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Something like the challenger 2 hydropneumatic?

Or if gun recoil suspension “The British generally used a rotating piston that progressively decreased the flow of oil, and a small control piston at the end of the buffer. ”

br
    Free Member

homemade

Only if your idea of ‘homemade’ is a top-quality engineer with a decent workshop and a track record in producing innovative quality projects.

mildred

homemade

Only if your idea of ‘homemade’ is a top-quality engineer with a decent workshop and a track record in producing innovative quality projects.

If it’s made at home, regardless of who made, then that is what I mean by homemade. Sorry I didn’t clarify, but to help you along:

Made at home = homemade

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whatever happened to that Millyard shock?’ is closed to new replies.