Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What would you rather have?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

A bike decked out with a good spec, the latest mod cons you desire, but rides shockingly.

OR

A bike with a bit of a naff spec, but rides an absolute treat.

OR

Is it more about having the toys than the ride?

I notice an awful lot of favouring of bikes that give the most bang for buck in terms of what components you get, i don’t notice so much bang for buck in terms of ride quality.

Does the market prefer to have the things they “want” rather than the things that perform best for them?

It’s a shame that you don’t really get bikes which have both good spec and ride for the money, it’s normally one or the other.

Ramblings.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The best way to think of it is if both bikes had the same spec, which would you rather ride?

rOcKeTdOg

2) bling is nice but if it don’t work it’s gonna spoil everything

_tom_
    Free Member

A bike with a bit of a naff spec, but rides an absolute treat.

Rather have this. My bikes are a bit outdated geometry-wise (if you look at the numbers anyway) but they’re so much fun to ride. I had a long low slack hardtail and it was boring to ride. Also I tend to find that even lower-specced stuff still works well so long as you’re using it for its intended purpose, ie not riding dh with xc parts.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m interested in forks, tyres, frame, brakes, stem+bars in roughly that order. Everything else I’m not arsed about, it generally all works and will wear out anyway.

weeksy

Daft Qn really. Hnece why we swap bars, levers, etc. To make the bike that isn’t quite perfect, perfect.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ride everytime – if it feels wrong it’s ebayed within a week 😆

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

If the bars, stem and saddle are right, the brakes are powerful enough and the front tyre isn’t awful then all the rest will follow.

Even a rubbish bike can be good fun if the cockpit lets you keep hold of it properly and give it a good hiding.

pjm84
    Free Member

I have just bought a Radon 29er Race 5 hardtail and put the bits I wants it. Thomson stem and post. Easton flat bars, Stan Arch / Hope EVO wheelset. XT785 2×10 chainset. Gobi saddle and SLX M666 brakes with XT disc. Told the wife the bike only cost £700.

Very happy with the ride. Stiff but comfortable and makes my Giant Advanced feel nasty.

ton

it is not about the bike for me nowadays……i would ride any old nail just so that i can get out and ride.
    priorities change… 8)

Northwind

Don’t think it’s as seperate as this… I’d mainly say 2, but, I don’t think I’d have a bike that fulfilled “rides a treat” that didn’t also tick 1 tbh. Loads of people would turn up their noses at my £300 carrera but it’s got exactly the spec I want.

Shorty121
    Free Member

I would prefer to have a bike that works rather than having to fix a really good one all the time. Suppose I choose cycling as a sport then upgrading and fettling is a hobby.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

It’s a shame that you don’t really get bikes which have both good spec and ride for the money, it’s normally one or the other.

So are you saying you can’t buy a bike with a good spec and a good frame?

slowmart
    Free Member

Great sex is better than crap sex. It’s all about the ride.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What would you rather have?’ is closed to new replies.