• This topic has 38 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by JB.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • What would you do?… your votes please!!!
  • JB
    Free Member

Please help me decide….

1st Contender is Cotic's Simple in "Builders Tea"

Advantages; I've ridden a Soul and loved the way it handled. I like its Simplicity… its a true singlespeed frame with no unnecessary frippery and its available now.

Disadvantages; I think the colour, although (in my view) the best of the two available options… Its pretty disgusting really (Sorry Cy…) and I doubt its going to grow on me… Oh if only it was available in New Soul Orange!!! I also know there are no plans to introduce any new colours until Cotic have sold this lot (may take a while!), could I live with a lovely sweet handling thing… that's a bit ugly?

2nd Contender is the new Pace RC104

Good Bits; Love the way the drop-outs are designed so the brake caliper will always line-up, love the chrome chainstays, beautiful detailing. Pace have a heritage of seriously good no-nonsense kit which, one would hope, is reflected in its new range of frames. Lovely colour and… no one else has one yet!

Bad bits; never ridden one and dont know, or have read about anyone that has, and they're out of stock, 2nd batch not due in until early April…

So what do you think… what would you do???

Cheers
    JB

epicsteve
    Free Member

Given I'd had a Soul for years I'd definitely go with the Simple, however I like the yellow colour.

carlphillips
    Free Member

what he ^^^ said

birdo
    Free Member

cotic for me. i think you`d grow to love the colour.

andrewh
    Free Member

Several issues with my Pace forks and Pace being very unhelpful.

I'd take the Cotic. (you can re-paint it if it bothers you that much)

JB
    Free Member

I guess Birdo's right it could get a new colour in a year or so…

rp16v
    Free Member

of the 2 i would go cotic but personaly i went sanderson.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I'd go for the Simple too, I reckon the colour would build up pretty nice with some brown and grey kit.. I do like brown though.

shepleg
    Free Member

cotic

Del

cotic as you know how it pedals.
    caliper placement a non-issue IME of slidey inbreds.
    simple needs chain tugs though, to make it practical, IMO.

ononeorange

It's simple – simplesimplesimplesimplesimple

JB
    Free Member

p16v – Member
    of the 2 i would go cotic but personaly i went sanderson.

I did consider a Sanderson and a many others but, I'm still a bit dubious about eccentric bottom brackets, if only from a point of view that as its a moving bit of kit it has the potential to go wrong.

But I am open to any other suggestions.

JB

rOcKeTdOg

cotic and respray

tails
    Free Member

pace. as you'll be in a niche all to yourself.

ando227
    Free Member

the cotic is designed to be a bit more hard core than the pace i think.
    Pace certainly know how to build an award winning frame, its just a bit early to tell about it, i think it will be a superb xc singletrack flying machine with comfort thrown in.
    I would go with the Pace.

JB
    Free Member

Interestingly, the geometry of the Pace is a touch more "Relaxed" than the Cotic with a head angle of 69.5 versus Cotic's 70 degrees, both have a 73 degree seat tube… I do like a fast handling, nimble frame that I can hurl round the twisty singletrack.

rp16v
    Free Member

i was at first aswell was looking at a slidey dropout gt pease but the bb is so easy on the soloist and has never flinched once set also its red and whits so colore is nice and clean/simple.

chakaping
    Free Member

I saw one of those brown Cotics at a race the other week and, despite thinking it looked crap in pictures I'd seen before – I thought it was one of the nicest-coloured bikes I'd ever seen.

Very classy and understated.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Simple, but I would say that as I have one.

Rear caliper is a non-issue. Gets touched oncein a blue moon.

Angles will depend on what fork you run. I've got 5" forks on mine, so its nearer 69/72 unsagged.

On a customer service level, having had Pace forks and had to try dealing with Pace, I'd never go near another Pace product. Cy and Paul on the other hand are top geezers (although i'm biased as they're mates).

JB
    Free Member

That seems fairly unanimous then!!!

letmetalktomark

Of the two above, for me, it would be the Pace, lovely attention to detailing.

Had you considered a new Pipedream Sirius?

Its on my list as next frame purchase.

Still 853 main frame.

Available in some funky colours too:

DezB
    Free Member

JB – Member
    That seems fairly unanimous then!!!

That's cos people know Cy might see the thread 🙂

JB
    Free Member

Hey no harm in that? Would be interesting to hear his views… 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

respray.

kelvin

Have you seen either/both in the metal JB?

postierich
    Free Member

After owing a simple they are great ss bikes but I find it hard how they justify the price as the frames/detail are ordinary.

Seen the Pace in the flesh and its a looker but dont know of any feed back so I would keep it oldschool on your GT Zaskar untill you get to demo one or wait untill I give you feed back on my Pace 😈

brassneck

Soul and bash the paint off on rocks, trees, badgers etc.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now, I really do like Simples. Lovely bikes.
    But I've just had a look at the Pace website.
    Have you lot seen the other colour the 104 comes in? Lordy that's a a lovely frame….. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Here's a very poor picture of it –

Me likey. Lots. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, that's lovely.
    Cotic's are cool, but just not quite as lovely 😉

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Of the two, I'd go with the simple – particularly as you know how the soul rides.
    Nice though the pace looks, I'd echo others about their non-existent customer service – I had a problem with my pace frame and they didn't even deign to respond to me.
    Other options? I love my new P7 SS that I've had a few months now.

kelvin

I do like the colour of that Pace.
    Do you think it has enough cable guides?
    Anyone know how much the frame weighs?

kelvin

Oh, and obviously I'd say go with the Simple, and that the Tea coloured frames look ace in the real world, but then I would say that, heavily biased.

dickydutch

JB – am I going to see the final decision at Kielder100 then?!

JB
    Free Member

Hey Dickie… doubt it, got to be gears for that one I think!!! Especially as there's going to be some stiff competition… i.e. you & Postierich!!! 😉

dickydutch

haha. Ive entered 10 at kirroughtree in July – hoping itll be a good way of gauging how far off Kielder I am!! You fancy it? Or a team/pair entry somewhere prior to Kielder?!

JB
    Free Member

My prep is going to be solo at SITS in August. I'd be up for a pairs entry at something though!!

dickydutch

Is there a date set for SITS yet? Im interested in that. You reckon you had enough recovery time before kielder last year? I'll have a scout around see what available for Pairs entry then in a suitable time period.

JB
    Free Member

SITS is 7/8th Aug… 4 weeks to recover!!!
    We could do another 24 somewhere as a pair… cant to Mayhem though, going to Italy to ride a road sportive!!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘What would you do?… your votes please!!!’ is closed to new replies.