Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What winter waterproof jacket?
  • scotabroad

An age old thread I know but I am looking for ideas.

I am looking to buy something half decent & criteria are (surprise, surprise):

Must be very breathable, I had an endura one last winter and I was wetter with it on than off.

Ideally waterproof.

It can convert to a Gillet.

Under arm vents

Perhaps removeable panels?

Lightweight with no insulation & can be stuffed into a camelback.

Cheers

S

MisterT

personaly I've found jackets that convert into a gilet to be a pain in the arse and won't bother again. main reason being that when you need to donn the arms it's impossible to do so without taking the jacket off… bit of a design flaw, sicne you need to connect the arm/gillet zips and try doing it one handed… no chance.

(offending jackets = Endura conversion, Gore Phantom, Gore Complete, Sugoi something..)

so in spring/autumn I stick to a nice lightweight gilet over a jersey as a staple item, and donn a proper waterproof (eVENT)jacket when it gets wet enough to warrent it.

otherwise for proper winter riding I stick to the Gore Windstopper jackets as above (Phantom, Complete) and they are perfect until it gets realy wet and cold, and then the eVENT jacket comes out to keep my toasty….

rootes1
    GaryLake
    Free Member

I really like the Altura Attack. When it works it's supreme. But I have had an '08 fall apart and an '09 loose all waterproofing. That said, they've seen pretty horrendous amounts of usage.

Thankfully Altura have warrantied them both and I'm now on my third one going into my third winter of using them lol.

The '09 one was much better built so didn't fall apart. They reckon it lost it's waterproofing because I didn't wash it enough LOL – and there was me being worried about over washing jackets!

dthom3uk

I got the DHB Event Jacket from Wiggle. It only really comes out in real downpours but it does the job well. I've used Event and Goretex and I reckon Event is the most breathable fabric.

jfeb
    Free Member

I have a Gill ProSpeed which was the precursor to the DHB Event jacket (above). Cheap(ish), breathable, basic design. Kept out torrential rain well. I prefer a (more breathable) softshell in all but the worst conditions though (I use a Gore Oxygen OS).

br
    Free Member

For winter riding, Gore Phantom, and Berhaus Gore-tex Paclite for when it rains. If its already raining or probably will rain, and winter, Endura Stealth.

ton

stuart, i have just ordered a made to measure on from cioch.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I'd get Gore something, worth the money – my Phantom's over 5 years old and gets some amount of use. I've got an Alp X proper waterproof for when I really need it.

Sandwich

Paramo Viento jacket. As breathable as a sieve, loads of vents and waterproof, lasts forever. (Sold as a summer weight waterproof, but too hot for it's intended use. With a long sleeve merino base layer the perfect cold day kit.

jfeb
    Free Member

Ton – Have you used this company before? I have always wanted to find a good quality but reasonably-priced made-to-measure outdoor clothes company. Being skinny and lanky finding stuff that fits well is a challenge/impossible. Their website looks and reads well.

nickc

"The most expensive one you can afford".

Is the only answer to these questions, you'll still have a micro climate in your armpit that you could use to grow mushrooms, but importantly you'll "feel" like you're dry and comfy, and that's all that matters really. In reality, in the waterproof stakes, a bin bag covers all the OP's requirements

ton

jfeb, no mate.
    i will let you know how i get on..

scotabroad

Sandwich I have heard other folk rave about Paramo gear as well, costs a bit but good kit.

Ton i read replies to you post, what material is it they are making your jacket from? I have Goretex hillwalking gear made by Slioch and it is really good tackle, very breathable and waterproof but no good for biking unfortunately.

Last year I swapped my Endura waterproof for an older Gore top (forget the model) and its a decent jacket but its no longer waterproof, so Gore stuff is def a potential for me

MoreCashThanDash

*cough* Does no one read the mag any more……?

ton

stu, the nikwax stuff, in a shirt stylee………. 😉

ton

swadey, it is ok if you have the body of a young prepubescent boy….. 😉

knott4me
    Free Member

i have just changed an old altura (12 years old) not sure on typr but it was a sympatax & cost around £100.00 it has been absolutely superb & made in yorkshire which doesn,t mean anything unless like me your yorkshire & biased.

ive commuted in it for the last 3 years solid & what i loved was its breatability brilliant.

after the last few showers we have had it has sadly lost all its waterproofness despite re-proofing a few times.

i opted for a budget option as i wanted either a mt500 or altura attack but given the financial mess our govermant has left us in & a loaf of bread trippling in price i opted to buy a race face attack from crc reduced from £100.oo down to £42.00.the initial made in china label left me pondering my decision but the quality seems ok its definately waterproof & seems ok on the breathing side.

time will tell i suppose weather bum bum i made the right decision.

MoreCashThanDash

My restraining order prevents that nowadays…..

matt_outandabout

Sandwich I have heard other folk rave about Paramo gear as well, costs a bit but good kit.

Well I have used mine, and its too warm for most cycling…
    My Endura Convert is a better cycling jacket.

scotabroad

The DHB eVent seems like a good buy if its reviews are to be believed??

Choices, choices….

jfeb
    Free Member

As long as you don't want pockets or vents it is great (I miss vents on mine tbh)

gingerflash

"in spring/autumn I stick to a nice lightweight gilet over a jersey as a staple item, and donn a proper waterproof (eVENT)jacket when it gets wet enough to warrent it.

otherwise for proper winter riding I stick to the Gore Windstopper jackets as above (Phantom, Complete) and they are perfect until it gets realy wet and cold, and then the eVENT jacket comes out to keep my toasty…. "

Correct.

Well, swap eVent for Paclite and it's about right anyway.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What winter waterproof jacket?’ is closed to new replies.