Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What winter gloves?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For riding in snow/rain/sleet/freezing-fog etc?

My Thor's are good for as long as they stay dry, but show them a hint of moisture (wipeing my forehead is enough!) an my hands are bluer than that video you made with your ex-parter and hope never see's the light of day.

Hal
    Free Member

Seal Skinz , waterproof,warmand Breathable. 8)

binners

another vote for Sealskinz. They're toasty and dry. All boxes ticked

trail_rat
    Free Member

marmot glade mitts over my normal gloves

bonesetter
    Free Member

I went for Seal Skinz. They are ok, BUT…

not that breathable, and the inners can be very frustrating as the stick to your hands and will pull out if you're not careful and are nigh impossible to get back in

Can't be taken on and off very easily.

I'm looking for something else. Best one's I have had till now are Pearl Izumi's – can't for the like remember which one, but very good indeed

acorlett

Always used Endura Strikes. They can get overwhelmed on epic rides in persistent rain, but I've never had cold hands.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Are the Strikes warm in say 0 to +5 medium to high intensity MTB'ing?

And what about durability?

Thanks

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The Aldi ones.

rootes1

well after loosing my PI lobster gloves (will have to order some from the states – i got some Specialized Radiants – waterproof and v warm – been great on on snow rides last week and that has been well below zero

make sure you keep your arms warm as well

jim
    Free Member

Are the Strikes warm in say 0 to +5 medium to high intensity MTB'ing?

Specialized Deflect are good for that in my experience.

anc
    Free Member

My strikes were fine in -10c in whinlatter last wednesday night. Toasty warm. Only issue is there not really waterproof, but even with wet hands they've never felt cold.

Jamie
    Free Member

The Aldi ones.

+1

thefallguy
    Free Member

Spesh Sub Zeros here, it's a reasonably breathable waterproof 2 part glove, and is warm to at least -8°C (well it was last week) which is great as I normally get really cold fingers during winter night rides.

Only drawback is outer glove liner can come out with the inner glove unless you hold the fingers as you pull out your hand – and are a real pain in the rse to get back in.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I

a

ve been fine.
    Far less bulky than some winter specific gloves.

jonb
    Free Member

Probikekit have sealskin stuff on offer at the moment.

Try liner gloves, worked for me.

FuzzyWuzzy

When it's proper cold you need 2 layers IMO, silk or merino liner + waterproof/windproof shell glove. I get numb finger ends with 3 different models of Sealskinz winter gloves when it gets to around freezing (+ additional wind chill factor). Spesh Sub-zeros keep my hands warm but are pretty bulky for MTBing. I reckon silk liner + Sealskinz outer would be best combo.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks, that's great input.

I get numb finger ends with my Seal Skinz, until I'm proper warm, and then have to keep warm to avoid them going cold again.

The silk liners sound even more fiddly than the SS's, not to mention slightly ghey 😀

I'm after a winter glove you can take on and off quickly

cookeaa

The Aldi ones.

+1

Isn't it a bit late to be looking for winter gloves? surely it would have been wiser to shop for them before yu lost your fingers to frost bite…

acorlett

Endura Strikes used to have annoying liners that came out with your hand, but current models don't have that problem. Dead easy to get on and off – no fuss. Agree with anc – not 100% waterproof in all conditions, but good enough.

Durable, too. And lightweight enough to be practical for spring and autumn riding.

Merak

Hal – Member

Seal Skinz , waterproof,warmand Breathable.

Seal skinz are none of the above imo. Very poor performers. Pearl Izumi lobsters are what you want

steve_b77
    Free Member

Specialized Deflect if it's above Zero and you're moving your fingers/hands about a lot – in other words not on the road.

Colder or for road trips I use Gore Tool III and they're great

smurf
    Free Member

I've got a pair of Endura Dexter gloves, new with tags, in medium going spare. £15 posted.

smurf

bonesetter
    Free Member

Looks like the Strikes are winning so far

The Pearl Lobster's are the 'two-fingered' ones aren't they – and for super cold conditions?

Not sure the Deflects would be quite warm enough for me, plus I have some gloves for that duty

Plenty of 'winter' riding left – well into May 🙂

mtbfix

Assos Winter System. OK so they are over £100 but for that you get 3 pairs of gloves for proper layering rather than a single winter glove that is only of use for 4 weeks of the year. Anyway, you'll never make it all the way across Reading to come get them 😉

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

My Thor's are good for as long as they stay dry, May i suggest you go and buy a pair of gortex outers from a snow boarding shop for around £25 to £35 then,as these are roughly around the same price as a good pair of gloves,with the added bonus of being a very thin pair of fully waterproof gloves for when its wet but not cold.also some ski shops sell whats called a gortex inner to wear under ski gloves, that arnt waterproof. if you can find these they tend to be a more fitted glove as they are put on first.you may also want to have a look in the expedition type shops, they seem to sell loads of high tec waterproof gear, that weights next to nowt.seems to be a bit more pricey though.
    i like you had the same problem,the gloves i owned were more them warm enough, but when wet were very poor,bought some gortex outers first,then a few months later found out about the inners, whilst walking in the lakes.not looked back since.
    Merchant

steelfan
    Free Member

Sealskinz are bringing out some lobster style gloves at some point but I dont know when. I reckon they will be pretty good.

jordie
    Free Member

sealskins for me for cycling and skiing i have never had cold hands yet even down too -8 air temp
    Endura gloves fall apart really fast like little surrender monkeys they are and i am an eudura clothing fan just not ther gloves

cinnamon_girl

Got some unused men's Gore Bike Wear Goretex 'Cross' ones for sale in a small, silly me bought the wrong size. Will post on the Classifieds later.

verses

I find Spesh Deflects excellent for most of late autumn till early spring, and for the coldest days in between I add a pair of SealSkins merino liners.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have the Sealskin super dupper winter MTBs, warm (poss too warm even in -5), dry but a IMO a little too bulky, feel like I need bigger bars and grips!
    Also have some middle Gore ones, now getting old but very very good, worn +5 to 0/-1 in all conditions, they are great.
    And there is a set of Aldis here, surprisingly good

plop_pants
    Free Member

I use 661 Storms, but the best way I found to keep my hands warm is to wear an extra layer on the arms.

Kahurangi

£40 from Tiso, don't know why it says £80!

Warmer then my Seal Skins MTB Technical Glove or Endura Strikes, waterproof, well comfy and a not-too-thick leather palm. No annoying gel spots or pads when you don't need them either.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oooh, they look nice – got a linky?

bonesetter
    Free Member

Oops, I should try clicking on it 😳

Thanks

Kahurangi

click the pic 🙂

they're dextrous enough that I had no trouble with STI's on the bike yesterday, but thy were far too warm for the MTB on Sunday.

Like I said, the web page says £80, I reckon a pricing mistake on the site as they were £40 in Glasgow and Newcastle.

\edit – NP, you sussed it 😀

\re-edit – further reading suggests they're not the same model – mine don't have a removable liner, but do have the waterproof (water resistant? the glove sticker says waterproof) outer.

They're actually these ones

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/head_hands_+_feet/hands/guide_glove—302/

timberjack
    Free Member

aldi

bonesetter
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

So, they sound like being too hot then 😈 😀

Sheesh! I think taking two pairs is the way forward. These to start, then switch to a thinner pair 🙂

Northwind

The new Fox Antifreeze are brilliant, warm enough down to about -5 unless there's really bad windchill, but since they've got a seperate liner they're still comfy when the temperature rises. But most importantly they just feel like slightly thicker regular gloves.

Having said that, for the real cold weather I've been using my winter motorbike gloves, but then it was -12 one morning last week with a cutting wind, and I didn't see another rider all day, so probably most people won't need anything that warm.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I see Mountain Equipment have a range of gloves. Should we be looking at these rather than mtb specific which tbh are a pretty poor lot

Here's the Guides for £36 delivered

And ME's glove page

oldfart

Endura Strikes ? Don't make me laugh ! My hands nearly developed frostbite with them on today and they aren't that waterproof .I'm on my 3rd warranty pair !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What winter gloves?’ is closed to new replies.