Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 255 total)
  • Riding offroad without a lid on?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Its clear that you have no idea of the risks or how to assess them.

You have never met me, nor do you know me, nor have you ridden with me. How can you say that?

My point is this – There may well be evidence on both sides, but our sport and our continued enjoyment thereof is a touchy issue. We suffer already with land access, and all manner of other issues. The public view is not in favour of ambulances scraping helmetless riders off the hills, so why do it?

Your arguments of freedom and comfort are pointless. Wearing a helmet on a bike is as nothing. It makes no impact on your comfort or freedom, so why not just do it?

I have no intention of "telling you what to do" but I would ask you to consider your opinion. I have seen too many people injured to not wear one, regardless of whatever evidence you choose to bring up, and whatever "I don't take risks" you may spout.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I usually dont wear one if i ride my bmx because its classed as uncool if your a bmx and i do want to fit in.

On the mtb I usually wear one, but have been shouted at by some nobheads before when I havent worn one.

As TandemJeremy says, it depends how and where I'm riding as to whether I wear one.

I dont wear one when I go walking, even though I often have to jog down rocky steep slopes, I never get shouted at either.

GlenMore
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I have seen too many people injured to not wear one, regardless of whatever evidence you choose to bring up, and whatever "I don't take risks" you may spout.

Anyone I've seen injured on a trail has been wearing a helmet. Do you think they'd ride more carefully if they weren't?

Bikebreaker
    Free Member

TJ – My point is you should do all you can to protect yourself from injury. If you do this and still get injured in some way there is no more you can do.

By being stupid and not protecting yourself you then waste valuable resources sorting out your selfish neglect to look after yourself.

If we all agree that Steve Peat is the world champion of mountain biking (downhill) he should never need to wear one because he 's the best at riding a bike downhill. I don't remeber ever seeing him without one on, even pootling around Wharncliffe, but hey what does he know.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – you attitude and the conclusions you draw show me that you simply do not understand the risks involved or how to assess them. Do you wear a helmet in your car? More likely to get a head injury there. Or when doing DIY – far more likely to need one then.

Wearing a helmet does impact on my comfort and freedom – it is simply nicer not to wear one when it is not rationally needed.

You are no more likely to need medical evacuation off a hillside. Thats the simple truth. Head injuries are not a common part of cycling or mountainbiking

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bike breaker – do you wear a full pressure suit when riding? That the logical conclusion of your point – or never go out at all.

Do you understand the difference between passive and active safety? I'd rather feel vulnerable and avoid the accident than hope that a bit of plastic protects me when I have one thru feeling invulnerable

MrsToast
    Free Member

I don't think any trail centres on Forestry Commission land enforce helmet rules – they have signs saying that they 'strongly advise' people to wear helmets when cycling, but no hard rules. Not sure how they'd enforce it even if they did.

I've seen people riding Glentress and Llandegla with no helmets too, so I think it's fairly common across trail centres – most people wear helmets, a few don't. Bit silly in my opinion, but it's their choice.

jedi

not a common part of cycling??

rOcKeTdOg

no helmets at cannock=typical brummie behaviour

no one looks as good as TJ in a flat cap off road

radoggair
    Free Member

If we all agree that Steve Peat is the world champion of mountain biking (downhill) he should never need to wear one because he 's the best at riding a bike downhill. I don't remeber ever seeing him without one on, even pootling around Wharncliffe, but hey what does he know.

+1

Also noticed that Jenson Button bloke wearing a helmet whilst in his car, whats that all about. Surely a pair of oakleys to protect his eyes is all he needs?

As most sensible people have said, there's no harm wearing a helmet. If you do get injured then least you've done your upmost to protect yourself. As someone who's landed on his head and cracked his whole helmet then i'm glad i wore and do wear one. Its blatant stupidity not to.
    And whats the point in doing this sportand being cautious to prevent possible injury. I want to be able to ride as hard and as fast as i can in knowledge that i have some sort of protection if things go wrong.
    But then, alot of people on here are all talk and are pi55 poor on a bike so dont need to wear a helmet anyway!!

Toasty

Ah, were you at the bike wash at about 3pm mboy, with a chap on a Santa Cruz of some sort (looked a bit like a Superlight)? I bizarrely got there late today, then got a very random headache. Assuming it was you, I was the very bewildered looking chap sat on the grassy bank in a garish yellow jacket.

How did the Mav fair around FTD? I was very tempted by one myself recently and want something a bit lighter for endurance racing next summer.

Quite suprised to see one on FTD as soon as we arrived, and pondered if they'd always been there, but I'd never noticed them before. Perhaps not.

2wheelsg00d
    Free Member

I think that we have been missing the point slightly. It really irritates me people who decide not to wear a helmet when riding off road because it is so selfish. My logic goes like this, if you fall off and hit your head on a rock without a helmet on then you are pretty much beyond caring for yourself. What about the poor bugger following you down the trail who comes across you sprawled out, sparked out on the floor? Who has to call the ambulance, who has to get your bike to the bottom of the trail, who has to sit with you whilst waiting for the services to arrive trying to make sure your not swollowing your tounge.

If you dont want to wear a helmet for yourself then wear it for the person who may have scrape you off the trail, it might make them a bit more sympathetic!

mboy
    Free Member

Head injuries are not a common part of cycling or mountainbiking

Anything to do with the significant majority wearing a helmet when riding perhaps?

And I'll ask the question again, is it just me that bounces my bonce off things? Am I a crap rider? Am I doing something wrong?

I don't think any trail centres on Forestry Commission land enforce helmet rules – they have signs saying that they 'strongly advise' people to wear helmets when cycling, but no hard rules. Not sure how they'd enforce it even if they did.

I've seen people riding Glentress and Llandegla with no helmets too, so I think it's fairly common across trail centres – most people wear helmets, a few don't. Bit silly in my opinion, but it's their choice.

Cheers. I had thought they tried to enforce it, perhaps not. And your last comment, my point entirely, hence I started this thread. Even more so because for the last longer than I can remember, I haven't seen anyone else on the trails not wearing a helmet, then today I see loads!

radoggair
    Free Member

I'd rather feel vulnerable and avoid the accident than hope that a bit of plastic protects me when I have one thru feeling invulnerable

how do you avoid an accident??

Glad you admit to feelingvulnerabke, try wearing a lid and you might not need to. Also, its hardly just a piece of plastic, more a highly designed piece of safety equipment.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'd rather feel vulnerable and avoid the accident

Accidents are, by their very nature, unavoidable.

CFH – you attitude and the conclusions you draw show me that you simply do not understand the risks involved or how to assess them. Do you wear a helmet in your car? More likely to get a head injury there.

I drive a Volvo which is packed with airbags and safety features. I also drive an Audi, as above. I also drive a classic Mercedes, with no such safety features. I drive that very differently to the other two. Your point is?

Further to the above, if you knew me, you would know my approach to risk management. You do not, so you do not. Do not presume to comment on it.

Dancake
    Free Member

I have had a couple of headbangers one of which cracked the helmet through. Did it save my life? Probably not but it undoubtedly avoided a few eggs and maybe some stitches.

NB the lesser crash was outside my house after riding home with SPDs for the first time…Toppled over while shouting **** and headbutted the next door neighbour's wall

Thats enough for me to carry on wearing one

GlenMore
    Free Member

2wheelsg00d – Member

I think that we have been missing the point slightly. It really irritates me people who decide not to wear a helmet when riding off road because it is so selfish. My logic goes like this, if you fall off and hit your head on a rock without a helmet on then you are pretty much beyond caring for yourself. What about the poor bugger following you down the trail who comes across you sprawled out, sparked out on the floor? Who has to call the ambulance, who has to get your bike to the bottom of the trail, who has to sit with you whilst waiting for the services to arrive trying to make sure your not swollowing your tounge.

If you dont want to wear a helmet for yourself then wear it for the person who may have scrape you off the trail, it might make them a bit more sympathetic!

But the same could be said of any form of body protection. Surely it's actually more selfish to adopt radoggairs approach – to "ride as hard and as fast as i can".

Rivett
    Free Member

Good point 2wheelsg00d. Why is it so hard to wear a helmet?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

2wheelsg00d

And it really annoys me that people like you want to tell me what to do on the back of such emotive illogical blether!

The evidence simply does not support your position – infact there is some evidence that not only do helmet wearers have more injury causing accidents but that they actually have higher rates of head injury.

Risk compensation it is known as and is a real observed phenomenon

mboy
    Free Member

Ah, were you at the bike wash at about 3pm mboy, with a chap on a Santa Cruz of some sort (looked a bit like a Superlight)?

Aye, T'was me…

Yeah, bike was great so far. To be fair, FTD isn't going to be the biggest challenge of any bike, but it was good fun nonetheless. I think the fact it's fairly light (not weighed it yet, but got to be circa 27lb) and climbs the technical stuff well helped.

Quite suprised to see one on FTD as soon as we arrived, and pondered if they'd always been there, but I'd never noticed them before. Perhaps not.

Sorry, you've lost me there… What had always been there?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – have a think about this. You are telling me what to do without knowing me but getting very huffy because I say its clear to me you do not understand the risks of bicycle riding and how to assess them.

You obviously feel strongly about this but your position is ludicrous from my point of view – based on a very poor understanding of the science and of the risks involved.

Rather authoritarian of you as well.

radoggair
    Free Member

But the same could be said of any form of body protection. Surely it's actually more selfish to adopt radoggairs approach – to "ride as hard and as fast as i can".

huh!! i hate being selfish, enjoying my riding.

*note to self* – slow down and stop having fun

westkipper
    Free Member

One of the reasons I dont wear a helmet is that I do ,typically,a 40 mile round trip on the road to get to my local off road. I feel a lot safer without one as my hearing ,sans vented polystyrene hat, is a lot more acute and getting a bit of extra warning of approaching traffic MAY PREVENT an accident( always better)
    Also I ride fairly low and not having an extra 300g on my neck makes me less tired and distracted- again less tiredness- less likelyhood of a mistake.
    I have to say, I'd never dream of offering a self righteous view of what others have on their nappers ( even if it was a really bad mullet) but that doesn't stop some folk from making unasked -for comments, so if you see me up the Pentlands, please resist the urge, OK?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Note to radoggair, MTFU and ride without a helmet

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

its clear to me you do not understand the risks of bicycle riding and how to assess them

Ever ridden with me? Ever seen me riding a bike? No? Thought not.

Toasty

Sorry, you've lost me there… What had always been there?

Hehe, sorry. Quite suprised seeing a Maverick around the Chase, as I say, I was just pondering the pros and cons of buying one this weekend. It did look better in the flesh than the photos oddly, I think it's the jauntly angle everyone takes bike photos from.

radoggair
    Free Member

TJ

Risk assessment for the simples

1. Identify the hazards:
    A : cracking your skull open
    2.Decide who might be harmed
    A: a cyclist
    3.Evaluate the risk( potential to cause harm) and decide on the precautions
    A: med/high. Wear a helmet
    4.Record your findings and implement them
    A: always wear a helmet
    5:Review
    A: crashed, it hurt really bad but survived. Continue wearing my helmet

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – My point is simply that what you have said on this thread shows that you do not understand. I don't need to have met you to know this as it is so obvious from your posting.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Raddogair.

Many ways to risk assess and as you know that is just piffle what you wrote

medium to high risk wear a helmet – I do. When the risk is low – ( wandering around the countryside on easy trails) then I don't

radoggair
    Free Member

Note to radoggair, MTFU and ride without a helmet

Surely you meant a 😉 on the end

If not, i'm as man as i can get ( not that very), and if you ever seen me ride you'd see i'm quite on the limit on most sections and would never not wear a helmet to 'look cool'

RichPenny
    Free Member

I drive that very differently to the other two. Your point is?

To be fair, I think that is actually his point. He rides differently and inhibits his fun when not wearing a helmet. I wear pads and full face when required, so perhaps that's similar.

radoggair
    Free Member

Many ways to risk assess and as you know that is just piffle what you wrote

Really!! please inform me of some more. This is the way both my company ( the biggest hospitality company in the UK) and the HSE both risk assess.

Better tell them there doing it a different way to TJ, that'll sort them out

P.s. its not piffle, its simply a PART of a real risk assessment.

westkipper
    Free Member

If you are genuinely concerned about protecting your head you should be wearing A HELMET ie a full face motorcycle helmet ( although even these are not very effective in direct impacts above 30 mph.
    What is commonly referred to as a cycle 'helmet' has little or no equivalence ( except maybe to Dumbo's magic feather)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you really do risk assessment like this?

TJ

Risk assessment for the simples

1. Identify the hazards:
    A : cracking your skull open

Cracking your skull open is not a hazard – the hazard is what you land on

2.Decide who might be harmed
    A: a cyclist

experienced or not? makes a huge difference

3.Evaluate the risk( potential to cause harm) and decide on the precautions
    A: med/high.] Wear a helmet

Justify this action and your conclusions that it medium high?

4.Record your findings and implement them
    A: always wear a helmet

why – no evidence to support your view

5:Review
    A: crashed, it hurt really bad but survived. Continue wearing my helmet

again – no evidence.

You have not assessed the person doing the activity – an experienced cautious person is less at risk than an inexperience overenthusiastic person

You have not assessed the location/ a smooth grassy field is a rather lower risk that a rocky steep narrow path.

It is perfectly possible to produce a realistic risk assessment for mountainbiking that shows high risk – but equally some is low risk.

I Know several differnt ways to assess risk.
    Some MTBing is high risk – helmet and body armour please
    some is medium risk – helmet please
    some is low risk – no helmet required

Do you seriously think that wandering along a smooth grassy path well within my capabilities I am at high / medium risk of head injury?

crikey
    Free Member

Lol!

Cap'n Flashys cravat too tight then?

It's a complex issue, not made any less so by the irate silliness on display…

jimw
    Free Member

I wear a helmet, alway have, always will. Broken three helmets in past two years- clearly no where near as competent as all those who don't need to wear theirs

RichPenny
    Free Member

some is low risk – no helmet required

So why, in your first post, did you say you were in a high risk situation with no helmet?

coogan
    Free Member

Can we combine the bike and chat forums and just call them 'the same old dull arguments involving at the same people forum'?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rich – thats not what I said. Have another read.

I said that if I found myself on a technical bit of track when I had no helmet I would go very cautiously – thus reducing the risk to an accceptable level.

Its really not rocket science – simple risk assessment and informed choice made by adults is the key here.

Mountainbiking is a broad church and includes many types of people and riders.

steve_b77
    Free Member

A hazard is the likelyhood of an event to cause harm, it is not what you land on/hit/ride into.

In this case the Hazard is the likleyhood of an as yet to be determined sequence of events that may or may not result in injury from the events not reaching a satisfactory outcome.

i.e. If I ride this trail and it goes well, I'll be fine. If however I crash what are the likely outcomes?

To mitigate said hazards protection methods must be employed; and the best way of preventing head injury that is currently available other than eliminating the risk all together (not riding) is to use an item of safety equipment that is designed to reduce head injuries, in other words a Helmet.

Get you definitions of a hazard correct before you start going on about them.

There is also a school of thought developing within industrial risk assessment that there is no such thing as an accident, only an incident caused by incorrectly assessing the risks and failure to mitigate such risks – loosely phrased as incidents happen because people don't do things correctly.

Oh an wear a helmet, it ain't big and it ain't clever not to.

Another informed choice by adults is to smoke, everyone knows the likelyhood of contracting a form of cancer associated with smoking is a highly probable outcome, but people still persist to smoke, they're clever too aren't they! Only the medical treatment front, in some cases treatment is being refused/postponed until "patients" improve their lifestyle. Something along those lines is certain to happen eventually when it come to what are essentialy dangerous sporting activities.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 255 total)

The topic ‘Riding offroad without a lid on?’ is closed to new replies.