Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What wheels for touring
  • MrsMugsy
    Free Member

This weeks’ project is handbuilt wheels for my roadrat. It’s my designated touring bike and at the moment it’s got 700cc wheels with skinny tires. Wheels are pieces of *** so need replacing with something more sturdy.

Husband thinks I should go for 29′.

The question is wether I need to put fat tyres or wether road wheels will take fat enough tyres.

I’m also thinking that tubes and tyres for 29′ aren’t found in any bike shop which could be a problem while touring.

Any thoughts on the matter or experience?

cheers

geoffj

700c touring rims will take a 29er tyre.
    Personally, I’d be looking at around the 35mm mark.

jimc101
    Free Member

Schwalbe Dureme are nice and supprisingly fast in the 700x35c tire size, not that cheap tho.

Edric64
    Free Member

36 hole open pro on a decent hub 32/35 mm tyres depending on mudguard clearance

tinribz
    Free Member

XT, Halo Aerotrack, Schwalbe CX Comp 700x30C here.

Would have preferred something wider for scottish roads, and defo not a carbon fork.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Bit of an open question at the moment. Let us know:

Where are you going to be touring, on/offroad, South Wales or Nigeria?

What are you going to be carrying, 4 panniers, barbag and topbag or creditcard touring with just a barbag?

How much (roughly!) do you weigh?

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are going touring out of Europe then 26 inch wheels are a bit of a must have as you won’t get replacement parts for road wheels or 29ers. A friend of mine is off on a world tour ATM with his girlfriend and they both went for Rohlhof rear hubs as they are supposed to be pretty indestructable.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I live in the french alps but it’s not a great touring destination when you’re carrying at least a child and full paniers.
    I’ll be carrying probably front paniers and child at the back or rear panier and child on a trailgator or charriot – depends if i pick the short staw and carry my 40 pounds son or if i’m lucky and carry his 20 pounds little sister.

we went touring in croatia with just one child but hte roads there are gravel roads so you need sturdy wheels. then this summer we went to Britanny with 2kids. it worked well but again it’s all flat overthere.

we’re thinking of denmark next year.

I think it’s important that I pick sizes which are easy to find.

thanks for the comments. keep them coming….

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I expect 29ers to be impossible to find in Europe, but road wheels? do you think?

is it a good idea to be touring with 26′ ? I’ll have to try my mtb wheels on the roadrat to see how it looks/feel.
    i’m quite a small and light person so it might work.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I got these Wiggle and have been very happy with them. Mavic double eyeletted rims, Deore hubs, 36 spokes, take up to 47mm tyres – and cheap too!

geoffj

If you are going touring out of Europe then 26 inch wheels are a bit of a must have as you won’t get replacement parts for road wheels or 29ers.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Check out these folk

Rigida Sputnik on LX or XT and strong and reliable.

ton

the best touring wheels i have ever has are the ones on my tourer now.
    shimano lx hubs built with sapim strong spokes onto rigida sputnik rims.
    built by spa cycles in harrogate……a proper bike touring shop.

ton

great minds think alike dufresneorama ……….. 😆

fourbanger
    Free Member

Mavic A719 on LX would be a good bet. Cartidge bearings may be easier to replace, but balls are easier to get hold of.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[/quote]Cartidge bearings may be easier to replace, but balls are easier to get hold of.

Indeed. If I was going REAL touring, I’d use XT C&C hubs. Far easier to repair, and tough.

ransos
    Free Member

If you’re just carrying a couple of panniers, I’ve found that Open Pros on Shimano hubs are plenty tough enough. But you’ll be limited to 28mm tyres, which may be a problem if you intend to do light off-roading.

Everyone I know who has bought wheels from Spa Cycles has been pleased with them. Give ’em a call.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Open Pros…But you’ll be limited to 28mm tyres

Guff. I’m running 2.1 and 2.3 tyres on my Open pros just now.

Wider tyres at low pressures (i.e. mtb tyre pressures) have more stability on wider rims. Narrow tyres on wide rims = silly (i.e. tyre no wider than rim.)

As for hubs – serviceability may be an issue, but never for me on tours up to 1200 miles.

So basically….open pros likely to be fine but if you are carrying a lot of weight then go stronger for the reassurance. 36 or 40H a good move too IMO.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

They do indeed ton!
    My mate bought your old LHT and I liked the sputniks on XT’s so much I bought a set for my own surly. Got the High polished LX hubs tho as spa recommended them over the XT’s. They are lovely. Only issue the conti tyres I have on them seem a little small and appear to have a flat spot (tyre not the rim) then again it could be that the reflective strip wobbles on each tyre making it look like a flat spot.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What wheels for touring’ is closed to new replies.