Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what wedding ring for…
  • Pippin
    Free Member

Having just popped the question successfully, we’re now looking at a September wedding and so need to get things moving asap. I’ve never worn any jewelry before and so am frantically trying to see what wedding ring patterns, shapes and materials will suit.

Are there any dos and don’ts from your exerience? Considering I manage to break most gear I touch, would a harder metal be more sensible? What experience about the comfort of different shapes? Thicknesses?

Anything really – over to you.

Ta

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

the one that’s most likely to hold it’s value when the time comes to resale

sharki
    Free Member

Ti or heavy platinum

pedalhead
    Free Member

Congratulations! We went for titanium rings from tommyknockers.net. A bit different, nice & lightweight & also good value compared to chunky gold rings.

edit…actually if I recall correctly I found them following a recommendation on this forum!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

get them custom made by a local place that way you get proper fitting and put a little bit of yourselves into it

Mine is 18k gold with ti insert and it’s yet to show visible wear and it get loads of abuse at work/in the garden/on the bike

BigDummy
    Free Member

Mine is white gold (I think) and di not break the bank. It is pretty scuffed, but nothing problematic.

headfirst
    Free Member

get a cheap 9ct gold ring and be done with it, 9ct recommended as its tough. Mine is the first and only bit of jewellery that i wear

millsonwheels
    Free Member

I have a lovely ring made by a local guy in Plymouth, he also does wedding/ engagement rings:

http://www.cryofthegulls.co.uk/jewellery/les-grimshaw_70

jimmy

lol @ littlegirlscepticalbunny 🙂

Rich_s

http://www.boonerings.com

That way you can have some mtb related trinkettery on you at all times! I went with 6mm Ti, brushed, regular curve. Wish I’d have gone with a lower profile one sometimes, plus 6mm is quite wide I s’pose.

They do scratch up, but then again so do I and I’d like to think of both as a bit of character…

SilentSparky
    Free Member

I’ve got a Ti ring also, when I was looking I went searching for a wholesaler and stumbled across one in the US, ordered a batch in from:-

http://www.apmbodyjewelry.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=725

Kept one for myself and flogged the rest.

I have a few left, can stick one in the post for you to have a look at if you want? (not after any cash or a sale, finished all that now) if you know your size I’ll see what I have…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I went for a ti ring too, 8mm with a rose gold band all around. From element in brum’s jewellery qtr. think it was about £200. My own design.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Gold, man; gold.

Titanium? where’s the romance in that? Dull, unattractive industrial metal.

Do it propply.

Platinum with inlaid gold would look nice, if you’re concerned with wear and tear. But simple, plain gold is timeless, unlike **** titanium, which is just faddy. What next, carbon fibre, ffs? 🙄

Tip; maybe ask your intended as to what she would prefer…

PePPeR

Also make sure you buy a ring thats tighter than it feels, us men don’t wear jewellery very often so tend to pick the wrong size when ordering.

I used Ti, its the only ring that can take the hassle and abuse that I dole out to it every day!

odannyboy
    Free Member

ive ti. i didnt ride at the time so its not the reason why.mainly cos its cheap and strong. missus’s ring is platinum and very thin.slill cost her 350 quid.mine was £40! from samuels i think. and what do people see when were out? shes go a shiny silver coloured ring on her finger and hes got a (dull admittedly, but any metal would be in my ownership)silver coloured ring on his finger too.it was cheap but has taken some real beating in its stride.
    its just a symbol too me.what its made of is irrelevant. once youve had it on for six months you dont know its there anymore anyway….

l45key
    Free Member

Ti for me too, had a gold one for the 1st marriage, didn’t like it! 😉

Got mine with a silver insert and compliments the omega nicely.

pcb
    Free Member

I have a titanium wedding ring, I don’t like gold jewlery.

Cheap and bomb proof, spend the money on her’s, she’ll never forget it!

TN
    Free Member

Me and J have matching 3.5mm titanium wedding rings – they look kind of like curtain rings. (as in, they’re round in cross section, rather than flat or d-shaped)
    My engagement ring is the same, but with a tension set diamond in it.
    We chose titanium because we are both clumsy and would trash anything less resilient. Plus, it looks nice. (I don’t suit gold at all)
    The wedding rings also only cost 40 quid each which was just an added bonus!

PS – you’ve got plenty of time to organise things, don’t panic!

soobalias
    Free Member

go with carbon fiber, it looks great, is really light and despite what everyone thinks, you wont break it and get splinters.

Fletch
    Free Member

As the wife doesn’t like gold coloured jewellery and I thought I’d scuff white gold to death we went for platinum, mine being a brushed finish with polished detailing. For when I’m doing stupid stuff on my bike or in the garden I have a £30 stunt ring made of titanium from John Greed.

Aesthetically I prefer the platinum.

F

NZCol

I got a 5mm Ti ring because a) it was cheap and b) i was concerned i’d break it. Looks OK now that its been abused.

jam-bo

platinum FTW.

buy it online and you’ll save a fortune, mine was £8-900 in jewellers and about £350 online.

i didn’t feel to guilty after getting sized in the shop as they then said they would have to order it in anyway. I figured i’d cut out the middleman and their sizeable markup….

pennine
    Free Member

Obviously on my own here – never had one (or wanted one) 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

I met this guy when working as shopbitch in the (bike) shop.

Amazing level of detail that is all hand carved.

simonjf63
    Free Member

It’s good to see you’re on a mountain bike forum – so much titanium flying around.
    Try a few on and see what you like the look of. I went for plain gold from Hatton Garden, not too thick and relatively inexpensive. Be prepared for it to get scratched (I actually prefer it now it’s a bit bashed about).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what wedding ring for…’ is closed to new replies.