Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What waterproof trousers do you have?
  • simonpedley

My 12 yr old endura waterproof trousers are no longer waterproof, so I tried to reproof them but the seam tapes have peeled off. Although I don’t like wearing waterproof trousers, I need them for commuting to work. So what would you recommend as a replacement?

Tracey

Army camo gortex. Bought them in 2007 after a very wet week in Morzine and still going strong

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i use endura superlites for commuting.
    12 years is a good length of service; get more of them!

simonpedley

I was thinking about getting endura trousers again. What are the superlites like?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’ve only had them for about 6 months so far, but they’ve kept me perfectly dry in the heaviest of manchester rain on my former 20 minute long or so commutes. they seem well enough made, lots better than the aldi ones they replaced- mostly because the cut is better, legs are more tapered and they’re a better shape for actually cycling (the aldi ones were oddly tight across the hips and thighs when sat on the bike!)

DickBarton

Craft somethings – been excellent for the 3 years I’ve had them…out in all weathers and temps in them with shorts on underneath…sweaty but never felt too hot or sweaty in them. I really rate them.

dufusdip
    Free Member

I’m genuinely intrigued (rather than being a nob about it). When do you wear waterproof trousers and do they not end up feeling like a sauna? Even in winter I’ll wear tights but never waterproofs, but that is just riding rather than commuting.

But even if this is commute, are they not sopping wet when you put them on to go home?

jimmy

Montane Featherlite – recently bought but only worn a few times. They’re a shield but light enough not to boil in the bag.

ben98
    Free Member

Montane minimus, just like cycling in tights as you can do the velcro up all the way up the calf.

butcher

I’m genuinely intrigued (rather than being a nob about it). When do you wear waterproof trousers and do they not end up feeling like a sauna? Even in winter I’ll wear tights but never waterproofs, but that is just riding rather than commuting.

But even if this is commute, are they not sopping wet when you put them on to go home?

I’ve found them useful at times. One time did near enough 130 miles in relatively hot spring weather (between downpours) at a decently hard pace. Turned out not to be the best choice as the weather was WAY better than forecast. Only slightly damp by the end, but nicely comfortable. And that’s the thing. As damp as it gets in there, it’s still drier than when it rains. Yes, you tend to dry when the rain stops in normal gear….but that’s when the waterproofs are useful, when it doesn’t look like the rain is going to stop. It offers you that control. You know what you’re getting with them. And personally I don’t find them bad at all.

downshep

Been using Endura eVent full length for years. Perfectly waterproof and only slightly sweaty if climbing or mild. Wearing well, nice big flaps to get past shoes and all the zip and velcro closures you need.

james
    Free Member

Bought some of these for my mum to walk the dog when its muddy out:
    http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/tenn-mens-driven-5k-waterproofbreathable-cycling-trousers–black–xs
    Turns out they’re so good, fit well, don’t heat up, keep the wet out, wet conditions no longer put her off bike riding and have been used upto 3 weeks ago (still not overheating) for proper mountain biking
    For £30 they’re a no brainer
    I definitely cannot say the same for the £70 Alturas I bought a few years back. Cycling trousers that don’t fit my legs, but slip down from my far arse, and the crumpled waist lets water in. Trousers so hot that the two half day rides I managed to ride them I felt physically sick from the heat. This in winter snow/rain

trademark
    Free Member

James, these look ideal for my GF, are they sized accurately?

Thanks.

jam-bo

I did have some berghaus ones that are now for sale in the classifieds as I now have some arcteryx ones that are half the weight and considerably more breathable.

The berghaus ones were perfectly functional but the arcteryx ones are just better at a price/discount that was hard to resist.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What waterproof trousers do you have?’ is closed to new replies.