• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Zone.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What tyres for CX?
  • MarginWalker
    Free Member

I'm new to CX, so what tyre widths and models would you recommend and what pressures do you run?

slowuphill
    Free Member
    Bimbler
    Free Member

I like Schwalbe Land Cruisers for general bimbling. I've got 35c and run them at 60psi, cheap and seem pretty puncture resistant but a bit heavy for racing (probably)

aP
    Free Member

I like Tufo T32 for general riding, run at about 25psi.

MrAgreeable

So far I've tried Maxxis Locusts, Spesh Houffalizes and Conti Speed Kings. The Contis were rubbish durability-wise, puncture-prone, and a mate also had the bead on one fail on him during the HONC, but they're made from a soft compound that grips pretty well. The other two have a blockier tread and seem quite a bit tougher.

Coleman
    Free Member

I am assuming you meen 700c not 26"
    At the moment because it has been so dry I'm using Kenda Small Block 8's 700 x 32. When it gets muddy will use Panaracer Crossblaster 700 x 31.
    Pressure depends on course/conditions but between 40 to 60 psi – or just hard enough not to pinch flat

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use schwalbe racing ralphs – nice fast tyre. They do wear very quickly though. Pressure depends on the conditions.

Sam

Dugasts are nice.

In a clincher I like the Maxxis Locusts or Racing Ralphs.

stever
    Free Member

Maxxis Locust (35s) are as bulletproof as any, if you're riding rocky stuff. More useful tread than Landcruisers for me. Skinnier and faster the Conti Twisters seem ok.

MrAgreeable

Dugasts are £130 a pop! I guess if you have a team car backing you up then the ability to run 30psi on a rough course must be a good thing though. Has anyone tried tubeless'ing their 'cross wheels?

clubber
    Free Member

Conversely (ref mr_a), I've been using Conti Speed Kings (35mm) for about two years now and had no real problem – some punctures as you get with any tyre that doesn't weigh a ton but no more than on say, my mtb. They grip well, roll fast and are cheap (in the wire bead which I use). What's not to like 🙂

MrAgreeable

They grip well, roll fast and are cheap

I feel you are letting certain aspects of your character influence your judgement there, my man. 😉

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Maxxis Locust are good are grippy and tough but slow on tarmac. I prefer Maxxis Raze, less grippy, still tough and much faster on tarmac bits.

clubber
    Free Member

Hmmm.. I've tried other more expensive tyres too but they didn't seem to have any actual advantage once I was out riding…

willyboy
    Free Member

I like my bontrager jones cx for general riding/ dryish races and when its very muddy I use michlin muds.

Sam

Dugasts are £130 a pop! I guess if you have a team car backing you up then the ability to run 30psi on a rough course must be a good thing though. Has anyone tried tubeless'ing their 'cross wheels?

€69 for 'basic' models OK, not cheap, but not so bad if you compare to Vittoria etc. Especially not so bad at trade 😉

I've tried tubeless 'cross tyres without much success. My combo was Racing Ralphs on Stan's 355 rims. They went up and held air fine, but got sidewall cuts very quickly. Many others report good ongoing success though – I guess it comes down to the conditions you ride in. My most common 'cross rides out of home are quite flinty. I may give it another go (using some tyres with slightly beefier sidewalls than the RR's) this winter on the general riding wheels – but will have tubs for racing.

gingerflash

I didn't like the Speedkings at all. Slow off-road and on-road, not grippy in any sort of mud either.

I like Maxxis Raze. Quick rolling, light, good in most conditions.

Will be looking for something more knobbly for when it gets really wet though.

tootin

Schwalbe cx of course, all terrain cycles have them going cheaparoo

Zone
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs 2.1, tubeless, 32 psi front, 35psi rear… The key word being Racing.

These tyres really do allow you to carry speed through… when you have learnt to trust them.. they are superb!

😀

oldgit
    Free Member

Speed kings seem fine.
    Landcruisers (a bit heavy) for CX's that are rockhard grass or involve a lot of tarmac. I can't bring myself to use a lightweight file pattern tyre for that sort of thing.

will
    Free Member

2.1 on a cx bike, like to see that 😉

MarginWalker
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations lads.

The wife and I have picked up CX bikes for the new season. Hers came with Kenda small block 8's (35mm) which seem pretty fast rolling but I reckon they'll clog with mud fairly quickly.

Mine came with Conti Twisters (32 mm) plus I got a pair of spares (28 mms) as they were going cheap (didn't realise they were so narrow).

I was wondering whether tyres this thin were of any use maybe on wet muddy courses?

I was looking a tubs/tubular wheelsets and they seem pretty expensive – is there a budget way to going tubular?

clubber
    Free Member

CX bikes are meant to have next to no grip 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Zone how do you fit 2.1inch tyres on a cx bike? Thats 50mmish.

Zone
    Free Member

brain fart…. 😳

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for CX?’ is closed to new replies.