Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • What type of riding do most STW's actually do?
  • bellefied
    Free Member

satchm00 – Member

Slow out of breathe sort of riding.

this is mine too – with some out of control downhill sections thrown in

nacho
    Free Member

buzz – true but also some people prefer a pootle on bridleways whereas others throwing themselves down a hill (I know many like both, me included but overall I would go for techy over bridleway riding and I am just trying to see if there is a consensus from the STW massif!)
    Anyway gonna finish work shorltly, then off for a ride (techie xc 😉 ) before the pub and back to read the humorous replies received on this thread…..

jekkyl

XC is what I prefer. Bridleways and roads inbetween and when it’s been raining a ton. Go up Cannock about once a month in the summer, less so in the winter.

freeridenick
    Free Member

KOM hunting – what else is there 🙄

motorman
    Free Member

Mainly right hand, also sometimes bikes.

jameso

If I ride a loop that’s just ‘XC’ on my MTB, is it ‘Technical XC’ when I ride it the next week on a CX bike? A sort of genuine Q, the terrain and bike makes the grade?

I’m not into genre-types, I just ride places where the trails are fun for some reason. Flow, attention to lines, interest, sections I can only clear half the time, pretty places, anything. My type of riding is just getting outdoors and feeling like I’ve been somewhere on a bike when I’m never going anywhere really.

ocrider

Some of this

ROAD

to get to this

BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC

intermingled with the odd bit of

TECHNICAL XC / TRAIL

I like to call it RIDING BIKES

samuri
    Free Member

Commuting mainly.
    Some road riding at the weekend
    The odd quite hilly mountain bike ride
    Some cyclocross
    Pissing about, riding to shops, exploring, pretending I’m still young would cover the rest.

LoCo
    Free Member

Is bumbling about more gnar than pootling ? If so, that…

getonyourbike
    Free Member

All of them except for road.

matther01
    Free Member

Technical XC/Trail.

I would love to DH…but my magnetic type qualities with the ground and trees is quite a problem.

bikeneil
    Free Member

All of them except for road.

Same for me. If I have to go any distance on the road I’ll take me car.

righog
    Free Member

I am trying hard to move away from XC crashing tumbling and injuring type riding to to simple XC riding along and not crashing, BUT my friends have different ideas.

beej

Generic XC, woodland singletrack for preference.

Singlespeed in the winter.

Some racing – 12 hour stuff (solo/pairs), the odd XC race.

Lots and lots of road the past couple of years, with a couple of weeks riding big European mountains each year.

oldgit
    Free Member

Road. Shit loads of road races, reliability trials, sportives and audax.
    Cyclocross, just racing it though.
    Mountainbiking. Day rides and a few races.

Currently loving long long road rides on the 29er knobblied up.

tenfoot

Bimbling along until I get to a known Strava segment, then it’s riding like a deranged lunatic until the end of the segment.

Mostly XC/Trail with some technical stuff.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mostly bikes….occasionally the sofa.

ratadog

Some of this

ROAD

to get to this

BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC

intermingled with the odd bit of

TECHNICAL XC / TRAIL

This

intermingled with occasional attempts to avoid coming last in my class in the local MTBO league.

yunki
    Free Member

mine is mostly riding around like a rickshaw driver ATM 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hardcore pub-to-pubcross by the muddiest route possible using the oldest and simplest kit to hand.

Markie
    Free Member

BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC

or 90’s style XC as I know it…

wordnumb
    Free Member

I would mostly class my riding as BP, or Between Pubs.

Edit – sorry, thats technical BP, obviously.
    Seems to get more technical as the ride progresses.

2nd Edit – I should read the other posts above…
    Rogerthecat has the right idea. About pubs and cycling.
    Rogering cats is just plain wrong however.

redthunder
    Free Member

2nd rate rider in a 5th rate outfit 😉

roverpig

Being out on the hills on my own or messing about in the woods

_tom_
    Free Member

DH/FR with a very occasional bit of trail centre and the very very rare xc ride at somewhere like the Long Mynd. I get my weekly miles in on the road bike then have fun on the mtb on days off. Oh and bmx at the skatepark sometimes if I cba to drive somewhere to ride. Or dirt jumps if I only want a short drive. We’re soon moving to a new place which has a 2 acre field, I should be able to build my own dirt jumps there so I’ll mostly be riding that as of a few months!

DarrenH

Anything I can get at the moment…

busydog
    Free Member

Almost all of my riding is mountain singletrack (and forest service roads to access trails), ranging from fairly easy to very technical (which I do with a varying degree of success) and, of course, the occasional sections of “hike-a-bike”.
    Don’t ride on the road—drivers here scare the crap out of me.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

All mountain and (gravity) enduro.

And loads of roadbiking (on a road bike)

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@wordnumb – everyone needs a hobby

kudos100
    Free Member

Overbiked 650b coil shock trail centre riding, above and underneath mountain, horizontal enduro lite, mini DH rigid night riding, 24″ DJ dwarf tossing, cyclocross chainsaw juggling, sportif dogging, naked road riding with crocodile clips on my nuts.

The usual stuff.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

My CX bike on unsuitable terrain like technical XC, my CX bike on the road, my CX bike on bridleways etc.

120 XC HT on XC races, technical XC bridleways, everything that it will take!

Cheezpleez

Pissing about

Scapegoat

I love organic bridleway stuff…. loads of local loops, and planned all day bridlecore shizz.
    I have a 150 bouncer and a 120 steel hardtail, and interchange according to mood and how bad my hip is hurting this week.
    I love red graded trail centres….I love going fast on fast easy stuff, and I like it when I can cure my constipation on the rocky stuff, so think Penmachno, Marin, Mabie, Kirry etc, but I’m frit of big drops and woodwork….. there, I’ve said it. I don’t think I’ve ever really ridden that sort of woodland loamy stuff everyone raves about, as most of the bridleways round here are millstone grit and dogshit. Which is ace.
    I have been known to enjoy places like ‘Degla too.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Mostly messing about in the woods like a big kid.

ratherbeintobago

BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC

Where exactly has the idea come from that bridleways = not technical? While some bridleways clearly are flat, fire-road-tastic horse motorway, it’s a sweeping generalisation and just not true.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Commuting
    “Racing” (triathlons)
    Training for above
    Random mtb or cross rides.
    Touring, very occasionally.

birky
    Free Member

Natural xc trails
    Long slow road rides

unklehomered
    Free Member

riding??? on a bike? are you serious? I might scratch it…

epicyclo

Generally the wrong bike in the wrong place at the wrong time 🙂

benji
    Free Member

Cyclocross racing, everything else is just training, apart from the singlespeed mtb pootles which are just for sheer pleasure and the wonderment of where everything came from/started.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘What type of riding do most STW's actually do?’ is closed to new replies.