Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • What type of riding do most STW's actually do?
  • nacho
    Free Member

After reading many different POV regarding various bikes here and a couple of comments from people who don’t frequent this site about the typical STW stereotype I wondered what people here actually ride.
    I realise many enjoy lots of different types of riding (me included from black runs to road rides) but what type of riding from the categories below do you do enjoy / ride THE MOST?
    And apologies for those who feel I haven’t categorised the types of riding correctly 😆

I would be in the technical XC / trail category

DOWNHILL / FREERIDE
    TECHNICAL XC / TRAIL
    BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC
    ROAD

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

1) Niche-core

2) Roadie-hard-man-miserabilising

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Road, TT and cyclocross. Not been on a mountain bike for nearly a year.

mrmo
    Free Member

Road, and old school XC.

badllama
    Free Member

All
    DOWNHILL / FREERIDE
    TECHNICAL XC / TRAIL
    BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC
    ROAD (on a mountain bike that is)
    😀

Klunk
    Free Member

Bike

Northwind

This is a cycling forum?

I do some downhill badly, a wee bit of road, no dirt jumps or bmx or owt like that- so mostly trail/technical xc, just because downhill’s a pain without uplifts and a wee bit limiting, you can’t do it all the time. Very occasionally an oldschool xc ride, they’re lovely but I can’t do them often or they lose the charm

Candodavid
    Free Member

SS, Geared, Mtb, Road,CX.
    Ride anything that these will go on

nacho
    Free Member

The reason behind asking as I think there is a good spread of people who enjoy all types of riding on here whereas I couple of people I know (both on and off the forum) disagree.
    I also guessed I might have some interesting answers. 🙄
    I lurk a lot more than I post on here and find it a hugely entertaining forum. I believe it maybe my most visited website!

martymac

i do bridleway/xc/trail.
    rarely ride anything that a cx bike couldnt manage, despite this i naturally have a 130mm fs bike with those old fashioned 26″ wheels.
    note:at no point did i claim to ride them well . . .

ton

you missed a group………..pootling.

Freester

Spend a lot of time talking about riding from what I can see 😉

eddie11
    Free Member

Most? Commute

What i enjoy? Is this like a league system? Can you get promotion and relegation based on last weeks ride? Bit of a division 2 pretender at the minute.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Xc, trail centres and bridleways. 120mm Hardtail.
    I most enjoy twisty woodland singletrack.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I’ve given up categorising riding to any degree of detail. I like things simple – I go mountain biking. A typical ride for me somewhere like FoD off-piste will involve every type of terrain from road, bridleway, fire-road, singletrack, doubletrack, steep DH stuff, jumps, drops etc.

satchm00
    Free Member

Slow out of breathe sort of riding.

saxabar
    Free Member

Enjoyment levels are probably inverse to what I do the most. Road a lot (quick and convenient mid-day), trail after that and then DH. Who doesn’t love DH, but of course time spent on bike is actually quite short although thrilling. But yeah, like most, I love it all.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Race, race me, race my mates, race the clock, race the environment, race the bus, race the cars, race the dogs, race babies, race chickens, race race race.. thats all i do… 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

Who doesn’t love DH,

Me,

DH is only a means of getting to the next climb.

ThePinkster

I ‘mostly’ commute as I spend more time riding my commuter to & from work than any other bike but I (dare I say it) enjoy a good blast round a trail centre red/black route on my 2 wheeled sofa.

TBH I just consider myself a cyclist rather than a pigeonhole. 😉

dogthomson

Mincecore Lite

RustySpanner

Passive/aggressive bimblecore.

Basically riding very slowly on brideways, paths & the odd trail centre

Long rides, getting lost, big hills, picnics, singletrack, interesting places, huge skies, quiet roads, touring, track, BMX & cake.

Dislikes:
    Loads of techy stuff, gps, jumps, fords, competitive idiots & fig rolls.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

what type of riding from the categories below do you do enjoy / ride THE MOST?

These are two different questions. The riding I enjoy the most is not the same as the riding I do the most.

Enjoy:
    TECHNICAL XC / TRAIL
    DOWNHILL / FREERIDE – easy downhill. I’m no downhiller by modern standards
    ROAD
    BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC

Do:
    ROAD
    TECHNICAL XC / TRAIL
    BRIDLEWAY / NON-TECH XC
    DOWNHILL / FREERIDE

TiRed

road commute (fixed)
    road riding with club
    road race (E1234 masters and Cat4)
    mtb trail centres – will try anything
    track
    coaching

No CX but have been tempted

mrblobby
    Free Member

Is there a turbo category? Does that count? If so, in order of frequency…

Turbo (I don’t get out nearly enough 🙁 )
    Road (pretty much all local riding, occasional club ride, TTs)
    Trail (mostly trail centre weekends away now)
    DH (very rarely now, the odd week in the Alps)

Would like to try some CX racing. Really can’t be bothered with bridleway/non-tech xc these days. I have no time for bimbling!

nacho
    Free Member

stilltortoise, yes you are right, I could have put the question(s) much better (although not sure if it would make the answers received any different / less entertaining)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gheycoremincelite™

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Natural XC trails & B/ways. Really enjoy being in the middle of nowhere.
    Can’t really be arsed with trail centres, always feel like I’ve got to fly round like a man possessed. (which is the whole idea innit?)

fathomer

Trail riding I’d guess I’d class it as, be it natural or centre. Bit of road as well. I just like riding bikes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pootle-cross
    Mince-gnar
    Bimble
    Shredding the gnat

That about covers it.

mindmap3
    Free Member

In times gone by I would have classed myself as a DH rider, however these days I’m not too fussed about categories and just enjoy riding my bikes.

I’ve started to ride a fair amount of road, which I quite enjoy due to the lack of faff and ease I can get out. It’s also a nice alternative to running.

MTB wise, it ranges for mucking about on short unofficial DH runs and sketchy jumps to trail centres to days out in the peaks. I definietly prefer descending and jumping (badly) to climbing. I like natural techy stuff as much as I like the brains out fun you can have on berms and I like natural, flowy single track too.

Basically, I just like riding my bike.

plyphon
    Free Member

Anything where the trail comes alive.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

+ one for pootling

haven’t got the legs for mincing

andytherocketeer

Ffion and Emmeline interpreted my description of what I tend to ride as “Enduro”.

So I’m saying that! 😉

(although in reality, it’s more non-race XC on natural trails)

Reluctant
    Free Member

IR XC jey boy 🙂

weeksy

Mostly generic XC. Nothing too techincal usually in all honesty. Bit of Sinwley/Afan/Llandegla sometimes.

Houns

Whatever comes before pootling in the pootling, mincecore, gheycorelite line up

sprocker
    Free Member

In order of enjoyment commute, road and mountain bike (dh is for kids or the overweight)

core

Technical XC/trail (I’m no racer mind).

On an aluminium hardtail – as least niche as it gets………

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Your error is trying to define boundaries where there are none. I ride bikes, mostly off road.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘What type of riding do most STW's actually do?’ is closed to new replies.