Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What Tunnels for MTB?
  • yoshimi

Following on from reading another thread and remembering some of where the boggies have been – are there any ridable tunnels anywhere? Do you have pictures?

Rickos
    Free Member

There's one in the Wye Valley somewhere. redthunder had pics.

grumm
    Free Member

There's the ones in Clapham but they're not very long or exciting. Quite novel blasting down them in the dark though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Clapham, Yorks:

Chipps' Birthday Present, nr Hebden:

Mines of Moria:

Cathedral cavern:

D0NK

There's one just off scout rd here, nowt exciting just a tunnel under the road for the stream to run down. You can ride down it tho.

chriswilk
    Free Member

water of leith path, Colinton, Edinburgh (although it's lit)
    Penicuik to Dalkeith cycleway at Auchendinny (just south of Edinburgh) – lit again
    Old railway heading upstream on the tweed from Peebles – longer, unsurfaced and unlit

There must be many, many more on disused railway paths.

MSP

There was a downhill race in an old Brazilian gold mine a few years ago, absolutely mental.

edit : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1Ql3hWVNc&feature=related

Moses

It's not MTB, but there's the Fishponds Tunnel on the Bristol-Bath cyclepath. I think that the Two Tunnels group is trying to open another S of Bath, towards Radstock.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Theres an old railway tunnel near Ilfracombe that you can ride through, theres a few ones around glasgow too that you used to be able to go through (one off the canal path near Dawsholm for starters) and i'd love to be able to ride the one that goes under Great Western road from the botanic gardens too.
    Theres a long one on the isle of wight that starts near St Lawrence and goes through to Whitwell, but i've never been there with the bike and a torch at the same time. Used to be used as a mushroom farm IIRC.
    Theres another that goes from Ventnor to Wroxall under the downs, its opened up every few years to allow a walk through.

simon1975

I've ruined two backpacks by riding through these pipes near Mansfield:

user-removed
    Free Member

Quite a few on the coast to coast but none particularly interesting…

Best one I can think of is the one on the old railway line starting at Trinity in Edinburgh. Long, dark, drippy and spooky!

AT
    Free Member

There's one at Ashbourne on the Tissington Trail.

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/tunnels/gallery/ashbourne.html

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Theres one on the strawberry line in Somerset near Kingswood. Its about 100m long. Rode through it on the STW Mendip ride last sunday.

Jamie
    Free Member

Awsum!

Where is Cathedral cavern: SFB?

Tracey

One on the Transpennine Trail near Oxspring, Did a great one above the dam with Bike Verbier last week.

Tracey

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Where is Cathedral cavern: SFB?

if you click the pic in my original post it has a grid reference (and popup map). It's near the ford in Little Langdale

BigJohn

I've ridden with Carpal Tunnel syndrome.

Arcticdan
    Free Member

One on the Plym Valley Cycle path (or at least there was when I was at Uni there).

Quite a few in Verbier area, some rideable some not!

phiiiiil

Can you still ride through the old railway tunnel by Peebles? That ticked the "drippy, spooky" boxes…

poisonspider
    Free Member

@simon1975 – is that at the bottom of Cauldwell dam?

There's two side by side?

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Start here and exit here

A couple of tunnels, make sure you duck for the low bridges and a sling/short rope can be useful to enter the tunnel (although not necessary).

rangerbill

Tunnel under the M62 at Scammoden Dam on the sustrans route 68 (?)

jam-bo

One on the Plym Valley Cycle path (or at least there was when I was at Uni there).

its lit and tarmac'd now.

5lab

red bull gold mine has this one won I think – big downhill race through a mine ffs!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

FoD – both ends of this one were open when I found this one on a walk last year:

http://www.multimap.com/s/hyamI1mQ

MrKmkII
    Free Member

innocent railway in edinburgh, and there's a tunnel on the union canal near falkirk. that one is kinda difficult though, like riding on ice!

molgrips
    Free Member

That gold mine race looks like a level from SSX!

Andituk
    Free Member

Rode one under the A580 near Worsley last night, entertaining in sunnies. Just watch for the smack rats.

MadBillMcMad
    epicsteve
    Free Member

There is a long dark tunnel on the union canal towpath in Falkirk which I've pushed through with the bike a few times. In Edinburgh there is one on the innocent railway path and another on the WOL in Colinton.

andytherocketeer

Rode thru the lead mines near Mezica, Slovenia. Guided tours only, and recommended. One of the ST issues couple of years back had a trip report there, but not sure if they rode the mine?

simon1975

@poisonspider You're right! I have to get down on the top tube to ride through…

disco_stu
    Free Member

a canal tunnel but it is 2.7km long – Netherton Tunnel

timwillows
    Free Member

Box mines on Mendip? Never tried on a bike but the entrance should be just big enough

dave360

oo oo I is off to Slovenia in September. I'll chekit.

coastkid
    Free Member

im making a ubrex (urban exploration) tunnel biking film soon 😮
    location cant be revealed yet but lets just say its a concrete 8ft high twin tunnel over 2 miles near Edinburgh 😮
    my big brother works for SEPA so er…borrowing a key 😉 just waiting on my frame neon lights to arrive 😮
    heres a pic

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

wowser!!

richwales

There's the "miler" near the start of the gap loop ( if you start at the Brecon mountain railway). Takes about 20 minutes to walk it.

Haribo
    Free Member

hmmmm coastkid – trying hard to work out who your brother might be as I work in SEPA Edinburgh.

Im assuming its clean / new but can you try and get a gas meter / budgie in a cage as that sounds like a serious confined space to cover.

Have fun…….dont die 😯

Edric64
    Free Member

Box stone mine, miles of tunnel is not on Mendip but North East of Bath

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What Tunnels for MTB?’ is closed to new replies.