Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What tubeless sealant.
  • zippykona

Giving it another go with proper tubeless tyres (bonty mud).
    Have had Stans previously that never sealed. It did form that spikey ball inside and stay liquid.
    It’s probably been done a million times but is there a clear favourite on here?
    The bonty juice doesn’t need as much apparently ,any good?

ritchiearmstrong
    Free Member

I use stans now as I had no luck with that effetto caffe latex sealant or bonty sealant. Stans is recommended by mountain bike action magazine and I usually find their reviews are pretty good.

Stans Is my favourite which probably doesn’t help you much being as you have tried it.

Cheers
    Ritchie

somafunk

I’m using stans at the minute in my Conti M-King and X-King 2.4″ protection tyres and i’m still getting mid ride deflations due to leaky sidewalls so i’m gonna try and get some of the continental tyre sealant gloop, i dunno who stocks it as it’s new/newish to the market so i guess i’ll need to google it.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Stans works fine for me.

Kryton57

Stans is on special at HArgrove cycles atm, £12 for 16oz….

ratherbeintobago

Conti sealant is a nightmare to find, though it looks like PBK have started to stock it.

Andy

rwc03
    Free Member

Stan’s works well for me, otherwise brew your own:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tubeless-spaff

simondbarnes

Conti sealant is a nightmare to find

Pretty easy for any shop with a Madison account to get hold of and currently in stock with them.

robdixon
    Free Member

fenwicks is quite good – bright blue and paste like – it turns to liquid when the wheels spin, which makes it very easy to paste onto the tyre beads and get a good seal. Also lasts for 3 years or so.

The only downside is when you put your new pump up the new tubeless tyres on the kitchen table (don’t ask) and the bead “pops” into place, spraying bright blue gel all over the table, down the floor, over the cupboard, up two walls and in a perfect arc over the ceiling.

I didn’t notice the ceiling bit until a week later and would have nearly got away with the post-debacle clean up had the better half not noticed first.

somafunk

Doh!, I keep forgetting I now work in a bikeshop and we have a Madison account so ill check for continental sealant tmorn, nae need for google.

jedi

i use continental sealant. no ammonia 🙂

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

What’s the deal with ammonia in the stans then? I’ve used stans without issue but have heard that its ‘bad’ because it has ammonia.. Not sure if this is just the marketing of the guys selling the other stuff though.

timmys

Being more volatile ammonia based spoo dries out quicker I believe.

I’ve had good results from the Bonty stuff (in proper UST tyres + UST rims so it’s only there for puncture sealing rather than patching up leaky sidewalls and dodgy set-ups). I’ll probably try the Conti stuff next time I need to buy though.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Fenwicks is ace if you like blue, don’t mind scrubbing things and aren’t bothered about permanent staining on your bike clothes.

I you want it to fix a puncture, it’s slightly less good.

As for Continentals, I tried going tubeless with a pair of X-Kings. The first mile was ace, right up until sealant started jizzing out of the moulding holes in the sidewall. Nothing I did for the next two weeks would make the damn things seal, so they’re on the garage floor waiting for next summer.

JoeG
    Free Member

I know someone who tried Cafelatex. He said that it would not seal a puncture for him. The LBS told him to add glitter to it to plug the holes. He went back to Stan’s.

I’ve used Stan’s sealant for years. I have no experience with any other and am quite happy with it. It’s not a big deal to top it off occasionally.

bonesetter
    Free Member

soma – MK’s are notorious for leaky SW’s

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What tubeless sealant.’ is closed to new replies.