Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What to replace an Altura NightVision jacket with?
  • MoreCashThanDash

First dark and damp commute of the season this morning, so dug out my old Night Vision Evo jacket for the first time in months.

It appears to have expanded over the summer and is now too big and flappy on me, so what else could/should I replace it with for £90ish? In order of priorities I want:

Lots of great reflectives

Some waterproofing/repellancy – I know nothing is perfect

Some breathability and/or good venting – which apparently rules out ProViz jackets, though I like the cut of the Boardman copies in Halfords

In a bright – but not Hi Viz yellow – colour for when it is not dark

Reasonably snug fit but still able to get a couple of decent layers under

So which moon on a stick jacket should I be trying?

(And I know a gilet and arm warmers are all you need most of the time – but I want a jacket)

houndlegs
    Free Member

Can’t help with a replacement, but what do you think of the Evo?
    I’m starting commuting to new job this week, and am just about to order one.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If you find a good jacket without lots of reflectiveness, you can get shapes that you can stick onto fabrics, not cheap, but work well and survive washing. i just can’t remember what make they were…

MoreCashThanDash

@ Houndlegs – The Evo has been great – had it 5-6 years now, so has been upgraded, I think. I will probably get another, was just looking for alternative suggestions.

It’s a hot jacket, even with the (big) pit zips fully open. I’ve ridden in -6 with just a regular base layer and winter jersey underneath. The water repellancy has now gone but I suspect could be revived if I could be bothered to get the right stuff to reproof it. It’s tough – I came off on black ice the day after I bought and I remember sliding across the road with my (bike) helmet bouncing off the tarmac thinking “I only bought this sodding jacket yesterday!” but it didn’t get a mark.

Best of all are the reflectives – I’ve had other cyclist and even drivers comment on how visible it makes me. And they haven’t come off over the years either.

To be fair, I only bought the Evo version because it was the only one that came in a bright red, rather than Hi Viz yellow. It’s still bright red after lots of use and washing. If colour isn’t a big factor, then some of the cheaper non-Evo versions might be just as good for what you want.

Try one for size if you can – Altura are quite realistic on sizing, and it is not cut for racing snakes either. The old version I’ve got is a large, and seems to have been designed to have a couple of decent layers underneath. I tried on the current medium today at an LBS, and that was a much nicer fit, and I’m borderline L/XL with most brands.

MoreCashThanDash

Anyone got a dhb Flashlight jacket? Doesn’t mention breathability on the description 🙁

Kryton57

I’ve got the soft shell version of the NV Evo. It’s very good, not too hot and not as waterproof as the full jacket.

Kryton57

I’ve got the soft shell version of the NV Evo. It’s very good, not too hot and not as waterproof as the full jacket.

MoreCashThanDash

So good, you said it twice!

houndlegs
    Free Member

Thanks for that, think I’ll give one a go.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve got the first NV jacket (before they made Evo the next year). Cut is a bit flappy, and doesn’t breathe that well, but is still totally waterproof and material has held up to 6yrs of abuse.

I generally look at more upmarket kit these days, but I’d happily buy another NV jacket.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m tempted by the new silver Boardman 2-in-1 jacket (converts to gillet) currently for £45, nearly bought one in the flash sales last Friday. Could be the perfect replacement for my ageing Endura Convert.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/jackets-gilets/boardman-mens-2-in-1-jacket-silver-reflective

antigee

replaced my night vision with one of these at a similar discounted price – had a black one already and that has stood a lot of abuse – downside is no pit zips which i like but isn’t too hot

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/gore-bikewear-element-gore-tex-paclite-jacket-aw15/p-4435623

no idea who fruugo is but think these are on runout all over as there is a new super thinner lighter version with very heavy rrp

MoreCashThanDash

Tried one of the Boardman 2in1 jackets yesterday. Very tempted at that price, not sure about the waterproofness and breathability given comments about the Provision versions.

iainc

there was a PSA for a Dare2b one the other week – looks ideal for the purpose and well under budget

EDIT, it was this one, sold out in most sizes but worth a search :

Dare2b Reverence

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What to replace an Altura NightVision jacket with?’ is closed to new replies.