Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • What to put in a trail pack?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I’m not really comfortable unless I have my support team with me these days..
    this was taken round the back of Swindon Tescos..

buttercup
    Free Member

I seem to be in the usual category of:

Hex multi tool
    Chain Breaker
    Power Links
    2 full links
    Spoke Key
    Tyre lever
    Pump
    Patch kit
    Some business cards
    Maybe a spare tube

All fits in a convenient 4×6 magazine pouch.

A buff in one of the side pockets on the waist belt
    I also have a waterproof that has been molded to the outside pouch of my pack, rarely use it though.

andyl
    Free Member

Some of the guys I ride with don’t carry any spares or tools.

Couple of them got to the top of Crook Peak only to find one had a puncture and no spare tube or puncture kit.

Gutting as it’s about 1.2km diagonal decent from the top of the peak here:

Maybe now they will take some puncture stuff!

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

nowt wrong with travelling light – i.e. pump, spare tube bottle of water. But there is a difference between get you home and carry on with your plan.
    To just get you home a pump and tube is probably suffice. But (as I’ve always prefered) to carry on riding you need at least, multi tool, spare chain links/powerlinks, tyre boot, brake pads, cable, patches,some food, plenty of fluids, extra layer/waterproof. For trips into the (real)hills also advisable to carry a small first aid kit, foil blanket and a hat.
    All this about we live in the mostly denseley populated areas and your only ever 2 feet from a bus to take you home is cr@p IMO. Lets just say you and your mate decide to ride from Settle over to Arncliffe and back on a Wednesday, as the trails will be quiet etc.Not exactly middle of no where but not exactly Briggate either. Descending Arncliffe Cote one of you hits a chunk of limestone and goes a over t. lands funny and can’t ride – what are you going to do ? Sit there waving your pump and spare tube ? or, make sure he’s comfortable, warm etc.while you wait for the emergency services.

So really it depends on if you ride round the back of Argos or back of Skiddaw.

yunki
    Free Member

make sure he’s comfortable, warm etc.while you wait for the emergency services.

agree with the whole post..

I think this can be quite an important part of my thought process when packing..

other than food, water, tubes, links and multi-tool I always carry a good waterproof and extra layer if I’m heading somewhere remote.. (which is every ride pretty much.. relatively speaking)

I broke a leg and hip in my 20’s at the foot of a cliff within a mile of a busy town centre..

I waited nearly 12 hours overnight in a January storm before I was found and rescued.. I was very lucky in that it only added a few days in intensive care for hypothermia treatment onto my hospital stay.. it may have been avoided if I had kit for keeping warm and could have ended much differently..

Basil

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry guys – I am not buying it. even in Scotland its hard to get more than 7 miles from a road, in England its about 3. The kit I carry will mean I can ride out after any damage to the bike that is repairable – I do not need anything more.

Its not an extreme sport, you are not ( 99% of the time) miles from anywere. You are riding your bike in the UK

Brake pads? cables? mech hangers? Tyre boot? How badly prepared are your bikes that you need this stuff.

I have never needed more than the minimal kit I carry – there simply is no need for it

saxabar
    Free Member

there is a difference between get you home and carry on with your plan

Yup, this ^^^. For what it’s worth: multitool with chaintool, there’s probably a few links in the bag too, 2x tubes, pump, couple of patches, phone, £20, jacket in winter, water and food (if out for more than three or so hours).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tyre boots is not about preparation you ****!!! its about bad luck and rocks!! Mech hanger the same! Sometimes you talk sense, other times (like this) absolute bollocks!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never split a tyre, never bust a mech hanger in decades of riding. Hard to see how you could bust a mech hanger and not the mech anyway. SS to get home.

Tyre boot – improvise!

It just makes me laugh that people will spend ££ to save a few grammes off their bike then carry a load of stuff that is not needed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hard to see how you could bust a mech hanger and not the mech anyway.

Erm, they are designed to do exactly that though. Seen it happen numerous times.

Is it really something to get all het up over though guys?

crikey
    Free Member

I’m afraid I can’t get my head around the whole ‘Sky is falling in’ attitude that sees people carry stuff for that odd unlucky occasion. It’s a safe, non-extreme, non-dangerous way of getting out into the countryside: ‘Pony Trekking by bike’ is a TJism that captures things well, and yet seems to have developed into some kind of adventure requiring a big pack and tons of extraneous gubbins.

I see no epidemic of people getting stranded overnight in the wilds of Surrey, no base camps being established on the slopes of Rivington, and bones do not litter the trails of the UK…

Each to their own, and as I have said, carry what you want to.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

once again tj, proving to be the retard that you are

yunki
    Free Member

EDIT: thanks for the edit crikey.. 🙂

I was just extolling the virtues of carrying a spare layer and a waterproof.. I was out on dartmoor this time last year and the weather turned leaving me very cold and wet.. If I’d had to then walk the 20 odd miles home.. maybe in shock if I’d had a fall.. I’d be fubared..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why cruz heckler?

I am not the only one who thinks this. why carry a load of stuff ” just in case” that you are never likely to need?

I think its completely laughable to carry all this stuff. there is nothing that I cannot fix with my minimal kit that you could with your extensive kit

Why the abuse?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

because its always your way or the highway

crikey
    Free Member

Um, apologies, and edited out, but I hope you see my reasoning.

A big part of not carrying the kitchen sink and all is that the safety of any enterprise is dependent on what’s between your ears. If you are a way away from ‘civilisation’, be sensible, don’t trash your mech, don’t batter your tyres and so on.

I walked the Snowdon Horseshoe a couple of years ago and took less than most take on a bike ride..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nonsense – as cricky says yo can carry want you want. I just find it amusing that people convince themselves they are doing some sort of dangerous extreme adventure when they are riding a bike around the local paths and thus they need a huge amount of kit and spares.

So go on cruzheckler – give me a situation were I would be wishing I had the huge kit you carry.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

lol.. it’s true unless you live in Canada or summit…

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I commute twelve miles each day on the mountain bike.. just along the river mostly..

I keep a spare tube at work in case. Rather than bother fixing a tube at work, I just replace it should I need to so that I can get home in a timely fashion.

I carry the minimal.. I eshew multitools and carry just the three allen keys I am likely to need.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you are a way away from ‘civilisation’, be sensible, don’t trash your mech,

Ridiculous comment.

And how have you miserable old snobs managed to connect people carrying too many spares with them thinking they are undertaking an “extreme sport”?

Do people carry lots of spares when they go base jumping or something?

🙄 does not suffice to convey my disdain

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I must be dead. No mobile phone, no GPS, No helmet much of the time, minimal kit. Just common-sense.

And how have you miserable old snobs managed to connect people carrying too many spares with them thinking they are undertaking an “extreme sport”?

Because they have convinced themselves a load of kit is essential for riding their bike around the trails!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

OH MY GOD, I CARRY LOTS OF STUFF, TWO PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET TELL ME I’M A FOOL, WHATEVER WILL I DO.

i know, i’ll list everything i carry

multitool
    swiss army knife
    puncture kit
    mini pump
    fork pump
    tube
    pliers and brake pads
    chain tool and POWER LINKS!
    spokey
    zipties
    food
    water
    fleece (in wintertime)
    waterproof (in wintertime)
    coupla nuts and bolts
    oh, and money and phone

i appreicate the whole “back in the day, we never took tools, and anyroad, our wheels were square and made out of wood” but i’m not riding in the past. i also don’t anguish over the weight of my bike, nor the weight of the contents of my pack. i do think the bag itself is pretty heavy though 😆

sambob
    Free Member

What would you do if you broke your back then TJ? You’d not be wwalking or riding out.
    I take: Powerlinks, tube, set of brake pads, puncture kit, tool, normally a Jacket, although I’m normally wearing it.

crikey
    Free Member

Oi! Less of the old thank you… I’m in the prime of my life despite my apparent ability to laugh in the face of danger…

crikey
    Free Member

What would you do if you broke your back then TJ? You’d not be wwalking or riding out.
    I take: Powerlinks, tube, set of brake pads, puncture kit, tool, normally a Jacket, although I’m normally wearing it.

Neither would you, although you’d have a bigger pillow while you waited…

mactheknife

cruzheckler – Member

because its always your way or the highway

Aye and your way seems to always attack people on a personal level.
    Good arguments by the way, but you lose the minute you call somebody a retard because they dont have the same opinion as you.

yunki
    Free Member

after reading this thread thoroughly I have revised my philosophy on the subject and will now just be carrying Haribo and housebricks.. 8)

scaredypants

you bores take what you like – I shred the gnar, not the gran; that means I’m literally millimetres from death whenever I ride but I don’t take any stuff with me, ‘cos I’m cool and I’m already carrying the hopes of a generation in my bag 8)

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

In all my years of riding the following have happened
    punctures – many
    snapped chain – check
    split tyre -check
    bent mech hanger – check
    snapped gear cable – check
    crash requiring re- alignment of brake levers/stem etc. – check
    getting hungry – check
    getting thirsty – check
    weather taking turn for worse- check
    going A over T and landing on head – check
    been involved in a crash where we had to keep someone comfortable/warm etc. – check(but thankfully only once)
    been so unprepared i’ve had to walk home – just the once when I toally trashed my front wheel

No it’s not an extreme sport(although thats debatable when you watch certain riders) – it is, however, about getting out into the country side which can vary from the local park to the scottish Highlands. If I was walking round the local park I’d probably be wearing pumps or brogues jeans and a t-shirt and have two dogs and my grandson(2) with me. If he’s lucky i might have a few sweets in my pocket and the dogs might have brought a ball. If I was doing the Three Peaks i’d leave my grandson at home probably be wearing my Karrimor boots etc. I’d have food for me and the dogs and plenty of other kit in my day bag.
    So again – what you take depends on where you are riding.

People who head off in to the hills unprepared with a gung ho ‘I’ve always been alright with a stick of chewing gum and a copy of the Times’ attitude realy p##s me off.

Being self – sufficient has always been one of the key elements of mountain biking. As a result most of the kit is compact and light enough to not take up much room at all.

crikey
    Free Member

People who head off in to the hills unprepared with a gung ho ‘I’ve always been alright with a stick of chewing gum and a copy of the Times’ attitude realy p##s me off.

Me too…

..and I would argue that my attitude is not like that. I would consider myself far more able to cope precisely because I don’t try to carry everything I’ll ever need every time I go out. The best way to become blase and complacent is to have a big bag full of all the stuff I can ever need and to carry it on every ride I ever do.

Quite apart from being a monumental waste of energy, carrying all that stuff is a very easy way to get into trouble.

Many, many, many years ago, in fact when I was just a lad, we drove to Snowdon to walk up it. We were as well equipped as we could afford with boots, coats, butties and a flask. As we got high up the thing, we ended up trying to walk in knee deep snow and after a bit of macho nonsense and a number of scary scrapes we opted to get down and go to the pub. I learned the best outdoor survival lesson I’ve ever got that day; don’t be a dick.

It doesn’t matter how much crap you cart around the countryside, being sensible is the one thing that will keep you safe above all else.

My over-riding theme is that it is just riding a bike and should be treated as such.

I will stress, as I have done throughout, that you should take whatever you want to, but I don’t subscribe to the current fashion of big Camelbak stuffed with the contents of a mini bike shop.

nick3216
    Free Member

seen too many hanging off the dog and Lymes disease is not nice, so my first aid kit contains a tick tool

M6TTF
    Free Member

Pump, tube, multi tool, phone, patches, tyre levers, sometimes some energy gel/bar. That’s your lot

chakaping
    Free Member

Just me with the bog roll then? don’t ask to borrow any

vancoughcough
    Free Member

lol.. crikey, come on, how could you ever need to take a set of brake pads? why not load the bike with a spare wheel as well.. ? roflmao!

Tiger6791

I usually take just enough

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

how could you ever need to take a set of brake pads?

obviously not done much riding in the Peak District when its wet. And considering how much space they take up .

crikey
    Free Member

Toilet paper?
    Grass will do.
    …and been riding in the PD for 25 years and not died yet…

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Ok here goes…
    road ride = (all fits in one jersey pocket,other two will have a rain cape and something to eat *yes I know its anMTB tube in the pic but you get the idea)

local MTB ride =(all fits in rear pocket of jacket if i don’t take a camelbak)

proper MTb ride = (fits nicely in a camelbak mule, and still leaves space for a jacket a beanie hat, malt loaf, powerbar, tangfastics,chocolate, hip flask, wallet)

The tin contains spare gear cable, tyre boot, chain/power links,pads, patches,a fiver.

Not much really

tomhoward

Nothing, but then I ride with Ray Mears, Bear Grylls and Andy McNab.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘What to put in a trail pack?’ is closed to new replies.